1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Shell V-Power gasoline. Your opinions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tom, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    Shell V-Power gasoline. Your opinions?

what do you guys thing of the new V-Power gasoline Shell is putting out? I haven't used it yet. I'm a Chevron high octane user but I heard the V-Power is much cleaner and a whole lot better than Chevron giving us more performance. Is this true?
  2. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    Unless you have FI, there's no point in using premium grade fuel.
  3. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    I have a supercharger on since 3 months ago and ever since then, I've used premium fuel. All of a sudden, those V-power gas appeared everywhere. It's like the biggest thing that's happened around here. I see long lines of cars pulling into Shell, I never seen before.

Peaks my curiosity, so I'm going to go for it on next fill up. Is there any harm in switching gas? I've used Chevron for a long time.
  4. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    no, there won't be any harm at all. Give the vpower a shot. I was just saying in general a lot of the people on the board won't have any use for the vpower.
  5. Offline

1ZZ-ROLLA-S Guest

Message Count:
    Well, I have the 2zz. So, I have no choice but to use premium. The Trix runs great on the V-Power. But, then again, I've always used Shell 93 in it with no issues.

RollaS is right though. Unless you have an XRS Trix or Rolla, or some kind of FI, you're wasting your $$$ on premium.
  6. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    yeah, a standard 1zz will actually run better with 89 octane. Its made that way
  7. Offline

1ZZ-ROLLA-S Guest

Message Count:
    Yep, or even 87. In fact, factory MPG and HP, were no doubt measured using 87 octane.
  8. Offline

dominator 04 Rolla 5spd.

Message Count:
    What is the octane rating in the Shell V-Power? I tried a couple tanks of 87 at first, then half 91/half 87 (89). I then switched to straight 91 and it's runing better, with improved performance and increased fuel economy in my N/A 1ZZ FE. Engine knocking at fast idle warm-up also disappeared.
  9. Offline

1ZZ-ROLLA-S Guest

Message Count:
    Here in KY, V-Power has an octane rating of 93.

That's stange that your 1ZZ would run poorly on 87. It's designed to operate on that octane rating. I ran Shell 87 in both my Rolla and my first Trix, both 1ZZ powered, with on problems at all.
  10. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    What? :?
  11. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Well wouldnt the higher octane make the engine run alittle better? or not at all?
  12. Offline

1ZZ-ROLLA-S Guest

Message Count:
    The compression of the 1ZZ is not high enough to benefit from using a premium fuel. In fact, high octane fuels can actually ignite slower than lower octane fuel. Also, all octane levels contain fuel system cleaners. So, don't feel like you are missing out on something by not using premium.
  13. Offline

dominator 04 Rolla 5spd.

Message Count:
    Yeah, during winter on cold fast idle, the engine intermitently knocked when RPM's would abruptly drop with a violent kick back on 87 and 89 octane gas. I also do get better performance and fuel economy on 91 octane.
  14. Offline

TheBeak Guest

Message Count:
    might have gotten a bad tank. i got a hold of some 87, that caused all sorts of bad running (thought a non car person would have likley not noticed) i ran a tank of 93 through it, and am back to 87 with no problems.
  15. Offline

dominator 04 Rolla 5spd.

Message Count:
    Actually, it was consistent on the first few tankfulls of 87 then 89... Maybe Canadian gas sucks. Even my Dodge Neon would ping on 89...The new lower sulphur gas has also lost some octane.
  16. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    I read on their post that the V-Power contains ethanol. What's that?
  17. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    it's a type of alcohol. i believe made from grain.
  18. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    So that means the V-Power actually contain traces of alchohol? Wow, that should give our cars some added benefits. Perhaps added boost?
  19. Offline

hooolala Guest

Message Count:
    well.. i heard ethanol is for places that is very cold. it will prevent gas to freeze up..
    i was also told, it's not good for boost cars because it will cause detonation, which is not good for the engine.

oh.. and i remember shell, chavron uses ethanol long time ago...
  20. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    That's not good. So Chevron's not using ethanol any more? What gas station is best now? If ethanol causes problem associated with detonation, than I won't use the V-Power Shell anymore.
  21. Offline

hooolala Guest

Message Count:
    i was told by perfessionals (people that modify cars) that 76 has the best gas..
  22. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    i think thats the same stuff that drys out your seals
  23. Offline

1ZZ-ROLLA-S Guest

Message Count:
  24. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    so apparently it's ok to use in all cars not just ones that require premium..........I may consider filling up w/ V-power once a month, just to help keep everything clean.
  25. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    ethanol blended gas produces less power. But it does burn cleaner
  26. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    Ok, I am a believer of Shell now and will now be using V-Power regularly. Yeah, Shell is going all out on the new launch. Everytime I pass by a Shell, I can't help being overwhelmed by the numerous number of people using their line of gasoline. I believe they will benefit my engine in the long run.

Chevron and Shell in my opinion are two of the best type of gasoline to use. Techron additives in Chevron gasoline is an active detergent just like the ingredient found in Shell V-Power. Shell V-Power, however, has 5 times more than the EPA minimum level of detergent and cleaners which is suppose to do a better job of cleaning intake valves and fuel injectors.
  27. Offline

DocHolliday Guest

Message Count:
    I use Shell because they tend to have the lowest gas prices near me :oops:
  28. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    This is my second fillup using high premium V-Power. So far I felt the car cruise so smoothly and whatever sound from the engine is gone now (sounds like pinging). I definitely notice a difference as compared to Chevron. Go V-Power!!!!!!! :D
  29. Offline

APC_MATRIX_ Guest

Message Count:
    Actually that's wrong. Ethonal requires more compression to burn effeciently so if you have like 12:1 and up, ethonal would produce more power and it is exponentional with more compression.

Why do you think that drag cars use ethonal? It produces more power and it runs colder (up to a certain point which would be most cars under 14:1 compression, then it runs hotter with higher compression and/or FI) :wink:
  30. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    drag racers ran methenol.

ethanol has less energy stored