1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

~*Shaved doors*~

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by snuggles, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    ~*Shaved doors*~

Question - i've seen some cars with the shaved door things. It's like they took the door handles out, well how do u open the doors without the handle??? Can u still open the doors?? The shaved doors look really neat. Does anybody know how much it would cost to get that done and where it can be done at??
  2. Offline

MikeyRolla Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah you can still get in the doors after they are shaved there is a popper installed with a remote and a manual pooper somewhere on the car. All it does is you press a button and it pops open the doors. Its pretty neat. I would never do it though, too much work for me
  3. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    You'll want to find a reputable body shop... someone that has experience with the "candy-coat" paint job or is at least capable of applying one (because the candy-coat paint job customer usually has shaved handles too). Shaved door handles eliminate the door pulls (handles) and replace the mechanism with an actuator. It works the same way a remote trunk release does operated from a fob (clicker). Just make sure you end up buying a pretty good battery (a Optima Yellow Top would be a good choice) and you incorporate some kind of backup plan to release the door manually in case you happen to run into some kind of mechanical or electrical problem...

I would call around or ask your "tuning" buddies to find an auto body shop that has had some experience with shaved handles...
  4. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    it's not gonna be cheap I'll tell you that much.
  5. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    I figure it would cost a lot of money, but it'll look soo cool. People'll be wondering how the doors would open. No door handles (wtf?). that's the reaction i got when i saw this Civic with the no door handle. It would be soo cool to press a button and the doors open for me. But imagine the doors pop open and hits the car next to u, that would be funny.
  6. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    hee hee...a manual pooper on the car.....he said pooper..hee hee

sorry that was a Beavis and Butthead thing. i know it was a typo.

I watched a guy at the auto hobby shop I worked in long ago weld his doors shut, ala the General Lee. Then he took a breaker bar and smashed the passenger window to get in and get the car out of the bay. Hey, my job was to make sure they didn't hurt THEMSELF, not to babysit their car.
  7. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    dont do it, they tend to break down more often than not if they are on your daily driver, ask my friend, he'll tell you what he did to his probe after teh 7th time in 9 mths
  8. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Not sure that everyone here would get that General Lee (Dukes of Hazzard) joke... I thought it was funny though. :D
  9. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    The General Lee was a 69 Charger on the show "Dukes of Hazzard". Ran about 12 years ago I think. They were continuously wreckinng it, and in the next scene it was perfect again. Pretty lame show, but fun.

For those who remember, two words.... Daisy May.
  10. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    That's where "daisy dukes" came from...

Daisy May was every boys/mans fantasy woman...
  11. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:

What do u mean by breaking down more often??? How would it do that??? More info please? Does the car break down or the door???
  12. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    well what i mean is that on his car, the motor for the popper kept on malfunctioning and not opening the door, or just plain going dead. the guy who did the popper install was a electrical engineer too, looking after harness work at GM. the car wont break down just the doors wont open
  13. Offline

MikeyRolla Guest

Message Count:
    Did I say pooper? Opps I meant popper although the pooper would be great if someone parked in your spot in a parking lot!
  14. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    I was just teasing on ya..made me smile when I saw that.

Yeah a manual pooper on the back of the car would be cool. Let the tailgaters know JUST how ya feel about them! :p
  15. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    while you are at it do the lambo doors at the same time. then it wont hit the car beside you either
  16. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    :shock: :shock: Good idea. I'll be the only Corolla in town that could do that. Does that cost alot to do??? :shock: :shock:

Never thought that shaved doors could cause so much problems. But it'll be cool though, imagine all the people's stares and stuff.
  17. Offline

Baby Lex Guest

Message Count:
    The doors don't open quickly, or in a full swing mode. They just "pop" open (with the use of a button, of course). They're not going to swing out and hit someone. Shaved door handles look realy good, but they're alot of work. I have a friend that had them, and they looked really sweet. Like people have said though, they tend to wear out after a while. They also tend to get kind of old....as in boring. As with any new toy, the fun wears out after a while. But hey, if you've got the money, and the patience...go for it! There's many other things I'd rather do personally before shaved door handles though.
  18. Offline

Jae Guest

Message Count:
    It would cost a lot to do lambo doors on our cars.

Because u cant just make it raise upwards, you have to pop it outwards about 3 inches, before it can lift upwards, due to the door design :(

Doing lambo doors would cost $5000+ CDN at my local shop which does pure car shows. Their cars are always #1 in all competitions.

They said you'll need hydrolics system, etc etc. Lots of work and its 4 doors.
  19. Offline

kurikuri Guest

Message Count:
    eh..lambo doors 1.5k $$

import tuner...did a review on a new bolt on for lambo doors in the past issue...or some other car magazine [possibly superstreet] can't remember what company has a bolt on kit for ...1.5k the install isn't simple, but it's something i can do. so it's simple enough.
  20. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Couldn't you have the door pop open remotely just by putting a solenoid on the cable that pulls the latch now, powering it with a relay that's tripped by the remote unlocking circuit? Sounds like about a 20 dollar project to me.
  21. Offline

kurikuri Guest

Message Count:
    for the lambo doors?..

can't use solenoids on lambo doors...unless they were used in conjunction with the hinges. doors opening vertically are wayyy to heavy :x. shave doors on the otherhead tat's exactly what they use along with shaved trunks too. ...the main cost is in the time spent shaving the door handles and making it smooth. then painting over :x.
  22. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Re: for the lambo doors?..

Oh no I just meant use the solenoids on the stock doors to unlatch them...agree the lambo doors would be way more than any solenoid that would fit could handle to lift.
  23. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    you can buy the lambo kits for under 1.5k on ebay. They are a more or less direct fit on any car. They all use the same type of design
  24. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    :shock: WoW so much work! Never knew. But the shaved doors look so cool. :shock:

After all that. . . i think i am sticking to the stock doors. Just being curious, how would they "shave" the door handles??? How do they make it flat like that??
  25. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
  26. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    Does BONDO work with both metal and plastic parts? Will they stick together?
  27. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    yes, long as you give it something to grab onto...IE sand the metal roughly.
  28. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    What is BONDO???

So basically u just put lil cement type stuff on the car and sand it and paint it?? It doesn't seem that hard. Not too bad. . .
  29. Offline

xtm "Member"

Message Count:
    BONDO is a brand of body filler. I don't like BONDO that much (tough to sand and contains small solid abrasives.. did I mention HARD TO SAND??) I would go with 3M Lightweight filler- One of the best I've ever used.

Shaving is not as simple as one might think. You will have to weld a piece of sheetmetal in place of the handles, grind the spotwelds and the sheetmetal, apply rust treatment, apply primer, then apply the body filler. You will then need to wet-sand it starting from 120 grit all the way up to 800 grit sandpaper which will make it as smooth as glass. BE VERY CAREFUL with this process because even the slightest mistake will show up clearly after it gets painted.

Now to the door lock mechanism- You will have to buy door poppers ($150 on ebay I think) BUT I suggest you fabricate a hidden switch somewhere outside the car so that you can open the door in case you forgot your key.

Another project that you might wanna look into is SUICIDE DOORS. This might be my next project after the Audio is done :p

Anyways, here's how a slammed and shaved Rolla looks like: (PS'ed of course) :mrgreen:
    [IMG]
  30. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    Pretty. . . that looks so good. But it looks a lil too much work for me. Maybe once my car get a lil older and i get another car, i would do that. One good thing about shaved door handles is that u can't see the nail scratches on the inside.

Never thought it was soooo much work for "shaved" doors. I just thought they took the handles off and put a peice of plastic over the hole and paint it.