1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Scion Tc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by d_samurai, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    yeah no kiddin-the the camry SE, especially the V6 version with 240 torque absolutely dominates..
  2. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Well, above all I would take the Solara SE Sport V6 with 240 foot pounds of torque and 225 HP and a 5 speed tiptronic transmission. It is the best thing Toyota came out recently. The interior is nothing, but Lexus. It does a 0-60 in 6.8 secs and a quarter mile in 14.9 secs, but TC shares the same engine as the base Camry SE 4 cylinder and the same 5 speed transmission. They both are very close in the curb weight as well. So why in this world would I get a Scion instead of a Toyota?
  3. Offline

chris102984 Guest

Message Count:
    price.
  4. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Toyota Camry SE Sport 4 Cylinder MSRP: $19215 US
    Scion TC MSRP: $17455 US

The price difference is negligable, but the reliability difference, name badge and resale are not.
  5. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
    where can i find reports for the tc
  6. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    The car is too new so there are no reports available yet. Keep an eye on the consumer guide, which is good, but too biased in a lot of cases. A lot of the conjectures they present are ridiculously contradictory. You will be able to find the best reports on car and driver magazine ( not motor trend since they are famous for rating cars in proportion to the advertisements placed by the car company). Car and driver usually do year long tests continuously as well and then publish reports about the year long testing. It is the best automotive magazine out there.

7. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    it will probobly be another year
  8. Offline

Jibran New Member

Message Count:
    i saw one today and honestly its pretty ugly! well so are the other 2 they make but i wouldnt buy it!
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    Scion Tc

The first scion tc is rollin in on wed. i know at least one of you guys on here has one what do u think of the car so far? iam so close to putting a 500 dollar deposit down to get the car but iam still undecided. please help me out
  10. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    Tc is cool i guess. I just need to see more pictures of it. People just don't know how to take pictures of it. I just wish it was.... RWD >_<
  11. Offline

RacingSolution New Member

Message Count:
    I've had the car about 2 weeks now... Heres what I think.

The car comes with a lot of standard features. The ride quality is pretty good with 215/45/17 tires. It gets a little bumpy over speed bumps.

The door handles are akward when getting in/out because they are so far forward. The cover over the stereo seems cheap. The moonroof covers feel poorly made.

The power is nice. The car has a lot of pep with the 163 ft/lb torque. I have the 5 speed so I dont know what the auto feels like. I do feel that it needs a 6th gear on the freeway because cruising at 75, the rpms are 3500. It uses 87 octane which is also nice on the wallet these days.

The seatbelt tends to rub on your neck.

Visibility is limited because its a hatch. I'm used to the corolla.

There is plenty of leg room in the back. The interior is nice.

Overall, I would definately recommend the car.
  12. Offline

Prodigy3006 Rubber Man

Message Count:
    i'd love to have a TC
  13. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    I would pass on the TC big time ( That is, if they were offered in Canada). I would rather get a Toyota Camry SE with sport tuned suspension. It is a Toyota Camry underneath. Despite sporty aspirations, tt is too heavy (close to 3000 lbs), bland looking car and J D powers and associated rated Scions near the bottom in the ranking with one of the highest reported problems per 100 vehicles. Although, the interior looks very nice. That is about it.
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    hey racing solution did u get the supercharger
  15. Offline

RacingSolution New Member

Message Count:
    Supercharger is due out later this year. Price and output hasn't been finalized from what I've heard.
  16. Offline

chris102984 Guest

Message Count:
    that almost 2 grand can be a lot to some people
    plus im assuming that reliability should not be much of a problem with the tc since its based on a euro model toyota (avenisis, or something like that?) and has the 2.4l engine from the camry.
  17. Offline

Deathsight Guest

Message Count:
    Id rather get a new Rolla S or even the XRS.
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    i was told that the supercharger will be under 2k installed
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    you just cant beat the price for that kinda car.
  20. Offline

02RSX Guest

Message Count:
    dude, it's not a camry underneath. it shares teh camry's 2AZ-FE and drivetrain, but it's built on an avensis platform

btw chris102984, the avensis is also available in japan.

just fyi, the avensis is available with a 1AZ, 1ZZ, and i think 1NZ in japan.
  21. Offline

CervezA1 Guest

Message Count:
    You guys are comparing apples to grapefruits here.. a camry and a tC?!? A camry is a 4door mid-sized sedan.. a tC is a 2 door coupe. Not to mention the price difference..
    I may be a bit biased towards the tC, picked mine up last thursday, but I can honestly say of all the cars I've test driven in the last few months (wrx, rsx type s, mazda3, mazda6, mazdaspeed protege, vw jetta) this one has the most bang <b>for the buck</b>. Has many luxury-esque features that you could never find on a base model of any car in <b>its class</b>. I'm not saying it'll beat out a type s or a wrx, but I am saying that considering the $7k price difference between them, you'd be a fool not to choose the tC. My sister owns a type S. The day she came back from vegas and drove my tC, she thought it shifted better, had great acceleration for its specs, and cornering felt great. This coming from someone who hasn't been happy with any other car since the rsx.

Now, there are a few drawbacks to the car as well. As previously mentioned, the coverplate for the stereo seems like after a few years of wear and tear it may crap out or become loose. Once in a while the recline lever can stick when going in and out of the back seat often. And the hatch has considerably less space than other hatchbacks of the same style. But to me, those are all cosmetic, minor issues. The car does what its supposed to do, drive well (and then some). The style of the car may not appeal to some, but that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. All I'm saying is don't go bashing it before you even see it in person, let alone drive it. :cool:
  22. Offline

BLAZETIGER Guest

Message Count:
    Really intersted in getting a tC, but that will all depend on the test drive.
  23. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
    I like the cars looks overall, except that it's a TWO DOOR. Also, it's first year of production, so if I were to get one, I'd wait a year till they have all the bugs worked out.
  24. Offline

Message Count:
    see a lot of people say that wait a year untill things are worked out so far there hasnt been any probs i know of and if it would break it would get fixed for free