1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

scary sound when idle

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by WorldHazard, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Offline

WorldHazard Member

Message Count:
    scary sound when idle

So..l i'm not sure if it could be suspension or motor related. I took a NASTY bump on a dirt road one day. it was rainy, and i didn't see it. I had more speed than what would be a good idea for that spot (was maybe 40mph..) Imy front end dipped deep (4" maybe) into the hole then i BOUNCED out. IMMEDIATELY after i hear this almost like metal rattling. It really sounds like it's in the tranny.

The sound is very obvious and seems to be worse when the car idles. I give it a lil gas and it speeds up and goes away.. comes back after the car idles down. Reminds me of a nut being loose on a bolt rattling around.. Any ideas?
  2. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    it is probably a heatshield.
  3. Offline

|-Goku-| Super Saiyan

Message Count:
    Best thing to do is get under there and see if anything is damaged. But make sure you have jackstands or something...Safety First!
  4. Offline

WorldHazard Member

Message Count:
    so i got down there.. everything seems well. nothing loose, or 'out of place'... my CEL is on and it's something about the 02 sensor. i'm gonna get that checked out/taken care of, as it came on very shortly after this happened.. Now.. i have another question.. wrong section, but not gonna bother with a new thread..

my exhaust manifold doesnt get hot AT ALL after driving. i can grip it completely after driving around for a good amount of time, and it's not hot.... WTF!? had autozone check out the CEL one day and they initially noticed it. it 'could be aftermarket'... what difference would that make if the mani wouldn't get hot. i'll take a pic and get it up right away of what it looks like if that helps
  5. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    I wish I had a manifold that didnt get hot! My exhaust is so damn plugged up from the oil consumption issue that my muffler can boil snow in seconds after a half hour drive.

Maybe the bump knocked some of the honeycomb inside your converter loose thus throwing a CEL?
  6. Offline

WorldHazard Member

Message Count:
    ya know. that does sound kinda logical too. that 'could' be the sound too... right?