1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Rumormill: Has Toyota scrapped the design of the FT-86?

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by Autoblog, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Offline

Autoblog Guest

Message Count:
    Rumormill: Has Toyota scrapped the design of the FT-86?

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Europe, Japan, Toyota, Rumormill

[IMG]
    Toyota FT-86 concept - click above for high-res image gallery

This is... odd. But here's the very long story short. Japan's Holiday Autos is reporting that Toyota has decided to scrap the design of the so far pretty much beloved FT-86. Don't worry, the FT-86 and its rear-wheel drive, simple, cheap, sporty self isn't in danger. Toyota had three competing designs to work worth and have picked one that they liked better than the car we saw in Tokyo. That is their right and privilege.

This new design is reportedly the work of a Northern American design team also known as Calty Design Research, beating out Toyota's other European and Japanese proposals. The European team is responsible for the FT-86 concept we've seen so far. Trouble is, we have no idea what this new car looks like and we like how the concept looked. FT86club.com has a rendering of what the new car may look like posted here. But again, who knows? Especially as Holiday Autos doesn't strike us as the most trustworthy of sources. We'll try to do some digging and keep you posted. Tip of the floppy fedora to Cameron!

Gallery: Tokyo 2009: Toyota FT-86 Concept

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]

[Source: Holiday Autos via FT-86club.com]Rumormill: Has Toyota scrapped the design of the FT-86? originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:55:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
  2. Offline

MstwntdFlip Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Oh my god... They cant do this!!
  3. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    Bullshit. Complete bullshit
  4. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    I liked it.... but it was TOO MUCH for me...
    for once I hope it has more lines of the hachi-roku blended in
    like the front jdm bumper
    [IMG]

but, apparently with the description it will look like a cross between a Yaris and the FT86 design

"
    It’s being reported that the basic elements of the FT-86 in its new form are all ready, with the exception of a few minor items which will be finalized in March. The new Calty designed FT-86 will have less aggressively carved and curved surfaces, will feature increased overhangs (boo!), and have a higher front fascia (in all likelihood to meet current pedestrian safety requirements
    "
  5. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    i like the wheels on the one pictured. i tried looking for a wheel like that for my 4runner, but no luck.
  6. Offline

bennyboi9 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    everything says TOYOTA about this car. if it had no badges and people had no previous knowledge of the car, you could probably still tell it was a toyota. =] i loove it
  7. Offline

whydontyouchoos KFM

Message Count:
    if they blend it with the yaris im going to change my saving account name to a different car :/