1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Rubbing on my 93

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by suwand28, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Offline

suwand28 Guest

Message Count:
    Rubbing on my 93

Anyone know how to safely roll a fender. I have 93 on 17x7. I wanted to lower it but afraid it might rub. Even now if 3 people ride with me, it'll rub.
    Can anyone help?
    Thx.
  2. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    my 95 w/ 15 x 7s rub the rear due to 1. offset is alittle big 2. shouldve bought 205/50s instead of 195/55s

baseball bat method, or take off a tire and hammer it w/ a rubber mallet and get some spray paint, primer, and clear to paint whatever paint is crack in the process be sure to sand and degrease b4 prime or paint...
  3. Offline

xnevergiveinx New Member

Message Count:
    yeah, i tried the baseball method on my 97...it didn't work, the hammer method just chiped the paint like crazy, made me nervous, cause i have a bright green car and paint is hard to find for it (it's bleached by the sun somewhat, so factory match paint won't work).,
    so i ended up cutting out the fender lip with a dremel, man, that was a pain in the butt. i must have busted about 10 discs. then i went though about 10 more sanding drums to get it smooth. then i sprayed it with primer and black enamel paint. then i took some rtv silicone and spread that on the lip. it doesn't rub on the outside of the tire anymore, and i had a fat kid just on the back door frame to test it out. i need to change my springs though. but, it still rubs on something when i hit certain bumps, not sure what it might be, maybe it's the mudflaps, if it is, who cares
  4. Offline

alby13 New Member

Message Count:
    baseball bat method DID NOT WORK on my strong 93 corolla rear fenders.
    hammer DID NOT WORK! i was pounding it pretty hard with a towl to protect the paint but it did not budge.

finally i got in there with a high speed dremel and cut it with reinforced discs. i finished the job with a grinder. it came out pretty nice and i have not rubbed since.
  5. Offline

suwand28 Guest

Message Count:
    yes, i forgot to mention that i did try to use the hammer method until i realized the rear fender was reinforced. don't know if this applies for other years also.
    so maybe the cutngrind method might be the best solution. just feel a little hesitant to cut into my fender.
    thx for all the suggestions.
  6. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Thats what I had to do also. No paint chipping either.
  7. Offline

KonigRolla New Member

Message Count:
    i must of got lucky i have a 2.5" drop all around and i have no problems what so ever rubbing and i have 17x7.5'sbut i think my offset is 49mm im not really sure i know most rims are either 44 or 45mm offset
  8. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:

man u are lucky... hehhehe... my rims i think is 35mm offset it rubs when i go thru bumps on the road sometimes even pot holes... and u can tell is rubbing w/ the big nasty sound and the tire w/ some swirl marks on it... >.<... but its all gone now after rolling the rear quarter... and it will be even better if i go w/ 205/50s in the future..
  9. Offline

alby13 New Member

Message Count:
    yeah, i also put paint on the exposed bare metal of the cut lip to protect it a little.