1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Rubbing issues in rear 98 corolla

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by Liquidgsr, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Offline

Liquidgsr Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Rubbing issues in rear 98 corolla

Anyone have rubbing issues in the rear of the corolla 98-02? I am lowered in full coilovers all the way around and wheels are 16x7 205/45/16s. The rears rub on both sides. I tried cutting the rear fenders to give it some room but they still rub. I was wondering if those who are with no finger gaps in the rear have set there camber to negative so that it clears or what? Thanks.
  2. Offline

FolkenStrategos Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Nice Sig.

I didn't like that guy in the game, but that's a story for another day

Mine, only rub with wieght in the rear and turning aggressively. So I just don't turn aggresively, and it's usaully fine.

I have -1.1camber in the rear already. Same Tire and Wheel size as you.
    You have to get your fenders rolled.....OR

Buy...this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TP-1-Fender-Flares-Universal-Wide-Body-4-Deep-Dish-Rims_W0QQitemZ140306919205QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20aaf1af25&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Then use wheel spacers, will give you a little widebody look
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah my friend and I cut the rear fenders a good amount instead of rolling them. I guess I need to put some negative camber back there and cut some more. I guess I will do it when I put my rear sway in soon.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    You know you should probably just upgrade to firmer suspension instead of using the stock one. It shouldn't be that horrid that you need to cut and cut and cut. Mine NEVER rubs with just me in the car. How come yours rubs so much?
  5. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    man tell me bout it, with 2 people in the car i have no problem, even 3rd is ok, adding 4th is when i run into a problem. Now another wierd thing is ride height is the same all around but only one side hits the wheel when going over small bumps.
    I had the exact same setup, with 16x7 and same tire size. I ordered some camber bolts 12mm which ended up being way too small even tho those were the ones recommended. So now ordered me some 17mm ones. I am on stock wheels at the moment. With my other wheels i was running in the same problems as mentioned by folkerstratgos. So hopefully when the camber bolts get here i can add some more negative camber and not have as many problems with rubbing. Ill let you guys know. Should have em installed by monday
  6. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    imo...your struts are going bad.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Hey, geoprizm, did you order from tirerack?
  8. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    I also call for stiffer springs and stiffer dampening.
  9. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    That's just a band aid solution. You should be able to achieve full compression of your strut up to the bump stop without any interference between the wheel/tire and the chassis. You don't want any rubbing during your daily drive and you definitely don't want any rubbing taking a corner at 80+MPH especially if you're not on a closed course.

My street camber setting is -1.5F, -.08R rear fenders rolled, tires are tucked about 1/2" into the fender well and no rubbing what-so-ever.
  10. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:
    how many inch you lowered it?if you more than 2 1/4inch thats where the rubbing starts to begin especially you got heavy weight people seating in the back seat.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Okay let me clear some things up. I have full coilovers all the way around. The car is dropped more than 3"s all the way around. The passanger side rear sits a little lower for some reason than all the others so i have adjusted for that. Also that side something is wrong with the suspension or when we modded my car to fit the JDM suspension to fit and it sounds like it bottoms out...but thats something else all together. My question was people who have a significant drop with 1 finger or less have rubbing issues. I have less than a finger in the rear and want to tuck the wheels just a bit all the way around. The suspension is new and I have set it to pretty stiff where the car doesn't move. Its 40 way adjustable so it can get pretty stiff. The stiffness isn't solving my problem My friend and I cut the rear fenders to compensate for the drop. I think from it looks like I will just have to run some negative camber in the rear. Thanks everyone.

Oh and I have positive camber in the rear for some reason.
  12. Offline

JordanInc ZZE110

Message Count:
    camber wont do much to clear up your fender space.

partially shave off your fender and have them pulled flat.
    if you are still having rubbing issues, try getting thinner unmeatier (if thats a word) tires.
    oh..and stretched tires.
    then if you are still have issues...do negative camber...look into SPC.

its actually 'unhealthy' for your car to run in negative camber simply because your tire life will decrease dramatically. its also unsafe. but you do what you gotta do to make the sacrifices.

im not sure why you are rubbing, i had 17" +45 offset all around and i was rubbing, i didnt think you would have that issue.
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    Well from checking it throughly I can see that a lot of the fender is still sticking out. So this weekend I plan to roll the fenders and sit them up so that they don't rub and give me some space to tuck. If that works then I will finally install my sway bar and drop the car some more. The camber in the rear is positive by two degrees so im hoping that with a lower drop it will zero out.
  14. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    this is the first time ive heard of anyone getting positive camber after droppin a car and 2 degrees of it??? wow thats quite a lot. Im in the process of ordering some camber bolts. Have ordered them twice, 12mm and 17mm and they were both the wrong size so will be ordering 14mm now
  15. Offline

whydontyouchoos KFM

Message Count:
    isnt positive camber "toe"
  16. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    nope, toe is somethign different all together
  17. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Wrong. Look at this to clear things up.
    [IMG]
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah its really weird. Also one side is lower than the other. I am beginning to not like my suspension, but oh well. Rollin them this Saturday and hopefully putting on my 19mm saw bar. Im guessing for a huge difference since i currently don't have mind attached. I thought that toyota made stock camber adjust for the rear on the 98 and up cars?
  19. Offline

sumac0401 New Member

Message Count:
    What is the offset on the aftermarket wheel? I have the TRD wheels (offset 47) with 205/45/16 tires and have the KYB GR2 strut with Eiback pro springs. No rubbing issues even with three passengers in the back. It probably will rubb IF the passengers in the back are 200+ lbs though...
  20. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    i rolled mine and cars fine now. but i have 18x7.5 and downgraded to 17x7