1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

royal purple oil filter or TRD oil filter

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by monstajp, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Offline

monstajp New Member

Message Count:
    royal purple oil filter or TRD oil filter

ok gentlemen, i got another question for you.
    i have decided to go with royal purple synthetic for my first oil change on my 2010 corolla but, now i need some feedback on oil filters.i was thinking about getting a royal puple oil filter or a TRD oil filter.does anyone have any experience with either of these products and is there anything out there that is equally as good or better?please get back to me,i got 1000 miles to go till it is time to make the change.thanks-josh
  2. Offline

Legit01Rolla Active Member

Message Count:
    oem
  3. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Wait. First oil change? Like Legit01 said, go OEM everything for now. You need to break in the motor more. After a good break in period, then switch to Royal Purple synthetic. OEM filters are pretty much the standard. Royal Purple filters are good too, but pricier. Another to consider later as well would me Mobil 1.
  4. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    *coughs* aren't mobil1 filter restrictive? (in other words made for super fine oils of them?)

here's a quote

"The people who designed The M1 and Pure-1 filters went the other way, believing that wear over an engine's life is largely attributable to even the smallest particles being present in the stream of oil. So, they use a much denser filtration media in their filter. The downside is restricted flow ... not much of an issue in an engine cruising the highways at a lazy 1,800 RPMs."

I guess I'm also on the restricted type xD I use PureOne filters... so that means it shouldn't really matter unless you're touge racing all the time the poor car
  5. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    Interesting... I just bought 5 qts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter because there was a special for $30. The M1 filter alone costs $13, so I figured it was a great deal and I've never tried the M1 filter before. I still have about 1500 miles til my next oil change, but if I notice any difference I'll let everyone know. I really don't drive my car hard so I think its a good thing if it has a denser filter.

BTW... Whoever is driving on the highway at 1800 rpms, is definitely not driving a Corolla. LOL :D
  6. Offline

Phan Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1985 Maxima Blue RIP, 2000 Corolla White SOLD, 1993 300zx Conv. Pearl White DD, 2004 350z Roadster Pearl White DD
    your car is too new, stick with OEM products.

higher mile cars... royal purple FTW!
  7. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    yah i switched over to amsoil for my cars but i use toyota filters, there acually one of the best. but like everyone else says i wouldnt go straight to rp dont u have free oil changes from toyota? most do come with that. and how many miles are u talking cuz i wouldnt do anything to my motor till at least 4-8k dont want to fuck it up
  8. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I think OEM is Bosch oil filter they sell those in Auto Zone :)
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I think it's 10-15k miles just to be safe.
  10. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    there is nothing wrong with using synthetic on a brand new car. i dont know what you guys are talking about.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    You need to condition the internals before running full synthetic. It's just a precaution.
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    all new cars are aside from maybe american cars, are pre-conditioned. you may not still want to constantly redline the car off the lot but cars are not like how they were 10 years ago. I have seen no evidence saying that putting full synthetic in a brand new car is bad. In fact, some BMW's and Mercs, Aston Martin and other cars put synthetic at the factory.
  13. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    I agree. Lots of cars come with synthetic from the start. I believe monstajp is changing his/her oil at 10k miles, which makes me think that there is synthetic inside.

Also, why is everyone scared to change the oil too soon. What could you damage by changing the oil too soon? I don't get it.
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    I'm actually the opposite, I have synthetic so i don't do my oil changes as often but then i become paranoid after 3500miles and I constantly check my oil levels. I just want something that lasts forever. haha. This is the American laziness talking inside me.
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    This explains why.
    http://www.stealth316.com/2-breakin.htm
    [IMG]
    You want to get right in between these two. I correct myself earlier. You can switch to synthetic now since it's the first oil change.
  16. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    the toyota filters are made by denso and ive seen the difference between the 2. the bosch has a different design than the denso one. if u wanna see a huge comparison of many of the filters out there check here.
    http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/toyota.html this is the toyota page but theres also ones for other cars if u search around the pages
  17. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Looks like the STP comes close to the denso design :)
  18. Offline

irishricer New Member

Message Count:
    for all the modern cars iv worked on its fully synthetic oil(manufacturer spec considered) and also you have to use an original toyota filter or your warranty will be void.its in the small writing but basically as long as you have warranty on the car you have to stay standard and use toyota parts,it also has to be all fitted by an approved garage ,this also includes tyres staying the same size and in some french cars case the tyres have to also be the same original make and brand