1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

routine maintenance stuff

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by MovieSTAR, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    routine maintenance stuff

changing my oil this week. has anyone used the k&n performance filter? i was thinking about trying them out this time i normally just get the fram oil filters. i am also going to switch out the airfilter on my intake to a k&n but dont know what size to get i could go out and measure but if anyone has every replaced them on a weapon-r secret weapon and knows the dimensions and can post them thtd be great. search didnt get me any hits. also i have a wierd brake light issue where when i brake the light turns off but it will stay on if im not breaking. would that be faulty wiring or a bad bulb?
  2. Offline

rolla_7AFE hmong

Message Count:
    ive use the k&n performance oil filter but notice no different. it just make me feel happy that i have a better filter but im sure that it filter better then the fram.
  3. Offline

cgreen38 Common sense, p

Message Count:
    I use them mainly because they're easier to get off! ;)
  4. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    haahthats why i was going to switch to them. im lazy when it comes to that stuff.
  5. Offline

cgreen38 Common sense, p

Message Count:
    It's not that I"m lazy, but I have big hands, and that tiny space doesn't accomodate them very well. :eek:
  6. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    K&N Oil filter is nothing special, similar filtermedia performance compared to others - but probably a heck of a lot better, construction wise, than the Fram filter. Like mentioned above - the big plus is the welded on 1" nut on the top of the filter. Makes removing it next time around a breeze. Popular for drag guys because of hte welded nut on the top has a hole in it - allows you to run a safety wire onto the filter to help keep it from turning into a projectile if the case bursts.

You can easily figure out what the ouside circumference of your existing piping is - use some string or some tape - just figure out how big around the tube is. Once you get the circumference - divide by the number "PI" which is 3.14159265... and the number calculated will be the diameter of the pipe. Go get the K&N filter that matches that number.

For the brake lights - could be a bad bulb, shorted wiring somewhere, bad socket (corrosion), bad ground, or messed up brake light switch by the brake pedal. Don't just visually inspect the bulbs - check with a multimeter. If in doubt, just change the bulbs - especially if they are the original ones, just change them - probably about time and they are pretty cheap. For the switch - it is at the top of the brake pedal aseembly, up under the dash - have a friend look at the rear brake lights as you play with the switch. Could be just misadjusted or the leads running to the switch are jacked up.
  7. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    yeah im going to measure it, i was just seeing if someone already had to safe me the trouble lol lazy...
    ill check out that switch and the bulbs later today
    i wasnt expecting performance gain i was just wondering i guess if anyone else used them.