1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Rota Grids or MR-s rims?

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by keolaaina, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Offline

keolaaina Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Rota Grids or MR-s rims?

[IMG]

This is my car on the grids. I like it, but I recently had to buy tires and couldn't wait for the 40 series like you see in this older picture so I bought the 45 series. So I have 45 series in the front and 40 in the back(which also needs changing) looks dumb.

Should I trade these for a set of MR-s rims with a friend of a friend, or just put the 45 series in the back and buy a pair of 40 series and put those in the front?
  2. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Is the difference in series the thickness of the sidewall?
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    Yups, the tire size is 205/45R16. So it looks like i have bigger rims up front now because of the tires, haha.
  4. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I'd say just stick the taller ones in the back for a little bit until you get the same size tire for the other two, as long as you don't mind the look of the slighter larger tire. You could test out how it would look by putting the two bigger ones on one side of the car and looking at it. I think they would be fine in the back, I don't think people would really notice or complain or anything. And AFAIK that slight difference in size shouldn't change the handling of the car too much. My .02
  5. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    MR-S wheels are 15" I hope you know.
  6. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    ^ AND rear wheels .5" wider than front
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah I knew. Why is that a bad thing? I want an OEM look really,

Also I Wouldn't mind keeping the 45's in the back but I need to buy new $0 series tires to put up front because the ones I have now have camber wear and bubbling. So I'm thinking, should I just cut my losses and just trade. Plus too my right side have ugly curb rash upon close look.
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    You'll be running a staggered setup which is mainly for a RWD car. You can stagger a FWD putting the wider in front if you don't mind.
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    No I'm not going for performance, well only performance mpg wise but I'll trade that off for looks staggered wise.
  10. Offline

bonspeed PHDM yO!

Message Count:
    stick with those grid's IMHO...
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    A staggered FWD doesn't look good. lol And you can't rotate your tires. Not even front to back. Side to side perhaps if you don't have unidirectional tires.
  12. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    What kind of suspension is that again?
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    Well I haven't been able to rotate the tires I do/did have on this car, haha, so I don't mind that. And I can't imgaine that you'd be able to tell that it's staggered unless there's some kind of lip, but even then I don't mind. I actually like it, kind of like from VIP Acura's. Also I've put a small 3mm spacer in the back wheels and you can't tell at all, it actually fills it out a bit making it look almost as flush as the front tires. Thanks rollatuner for your opinion, brings a different perspective.

I have the NEX coilovers. These are actually pretty good considering I got them for $700 shipped to Hawai`i brand new, just a bit more then it would've cost to get KYB's and shipped. Not much adjustablilty other then the height, but awesome for the price. Looking at my car, the screwed all the way down, they could probably tuck up to the rims.