1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Replacing a an auto with a 5 speed

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by DBurcombe, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Offline

DBurcombe Guest

Message Count:
    Replacing a an auto with a 5 speed

Does anyone know how much it would cost for me to trash my auto tranny
    and put in a 5 speed? My dad's a mechanic so there's no labor costs.
    Has anyone done this? Oh and this was my ex girlfriend's car.
    Otherwise I would have had a manual to begin with. :roll:
  2. Offline

rolla_dink Guest

Message Count:
    If possible you might just want to trade it for a manual. You would probably need at the least the ECU from the manual (it's about 400 brand new). I burned mine out an that's what it said on the receipt. Then a gearbox, and any housing parts. So say you get it done and the parts alone cost say 500-2000, if you lose that much in a trade, you would still end up with a 5 speed. Just a thought, but then again I'm no expert, remember I burned my ECU.... :shock:
  3. Offline

SquirrelMaster New Member

Message Count:
    i agree with rolla_dink, trading it in would most likely be better overall.
    you'll probably save on cost and you also get a brand new car
  4. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    how did u burn ure ecu and how did ufind out u burnt it? im curious because im looking for a celica gt ecu and see if it will work for the corolla.
  5. Offline

rolla_dink Guest

Message Count:
    I'm not really sure how it happened. About 3 weeks after the S/C install the engine would cutout at about 5500 rpms, however on the low end it was crazy fast up to 5500 rpms. One Friday, I got it home, and when I tried to start it later that night, it made this horrible muffled sound and would not start. I had it towed to Toyota of Orange and they hooked it up to the computer. They told me (but who really knows) the TRD piggyback ECU and the MAS died. Took me almost a week before I got it back. Here are the parts and cost

22204-0D030 - 83.44
    00602-17620-131 - 407.17
    00602-17620-135 - 112.19
    Labor - 400
    Total Cost with taxes - 1074.07
    WARRANTIED THANK GOD :lol: :lol: :lol:

I here the Celica ECU could work, but you will need the injectors too...can't remember where I read that...somewhere in here.

BTW - someone at the dealership, store my freakin' change. That's my two cents it I had any left :cry:
  6. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    ya id have to second the trade car thing, i came to basically same conclusion awhile ago, or maybe engine swap.
  7. Offline

DBurcombe Guest

Message Count:
    I hate dealers like others hate dentists. :x I guess I'll just stick with my auto tranny.
    Thanks y'all
  8. Offline

AESC Guest

Message Count:
    i looked into that before since i had the supercharger and a manual would have been great. cost about 4-5K for a well built trans cause if your going to do it do it right.
  9. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    yep 4-5 pretty expensive, for that u could be easily over 225 hp, as long as the crap auto tranny didnt choke.
  10. Offline

AznRolla Guest

Message Count:
    go build up the auto tranny and drop some major power adders. its more consistant at the track that way. :D
  11. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    I think its harder to launch fast though, the auto.
  12. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    building up the Auto tran is also expensive =P
  13. Offline

AESC Guest

Message Count:
    it was going to cost 4-5 k either way. my uncle has a lot of sport cars and has a few guys that do that type of work and if i wanted a well built auto or a new manual that can take some abuse it will cost about the same. but i could easily put 300+hp and 300+tq to the tranies no problem cause he would make it tough. but that is a very high number for me so i dont know if he can or not but he did rebuild my uncle a very cool cobra. and some other cars.
  14. Offline

ConwayJim Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah, I'm in a similar position. I wanted to grab a stick, but when i bought my car i saved a couple of extra bucks by taking the floor model they had (that meant that i was forced into an auto).

Anyways, when the tranny goes on this puppy, i'm gonna get a shop to do a full conversion, i'm guessing it'll will be the same price to replace the tranny anyways, right?
  15. Offline

MrDisco99 Guest

Message Count:
    I learned the hard way to not settle for the choices on the lot. If they don't have what I'm looking for I place an order or move on. If I'm gonna shell out thousands of dollars on something I intend to keep for years I'm getting what I want.

As for waiting for your tranny to go out... it's a Corolla. That thing is never gonna die. :lol: