1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Removing factory head unit.

Discussion in 'Interior' started by oxymoron, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    Removing factory head unit.

Has anybody figured out how to remove the factory head unit yet? Earlier model Corolla were certainly a lot easier to diassemble.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    Re: Removing factory head unit.

-Pull off the center A/C knob and remove the screw behind it.
    -Pull up the trim around the shifter and remove the 2 black screws below the drawer
    -Pull out the entire center console including the A/C controls, drawers, up to the clock.
    -There are 4 bolts underneath the stock headunit, 2 are up close to the front, the other 2 are waay in the back.
    -Pull out the whole assembly around the radio's control panel (including the 2 vents on either side of the radio).

That should be it. You will need a dash kit to install a new radio. I'm gonna put together a DIY with pictures once summer comes around.. its too cold outside for me to do it now.
  3. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks. Looks like I missed the screw behind the A/C control.

I'm planning to retain the factory head unit - I just need to get 4 line-outs out of the unit. I've seen a couple of install kits for the Corolla, but nothing that looks all that great so far.
  4. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    Hey Meth I know u posted on c3 sometime ago that u can also remove tha glovebox and remove the ac vents and then push out tha radio trim piece around it, thats how I did mine without touching the a/c controls. :D
  5. Offline

razz422 Guest

Message Count:
    oxymoron, what you did is what I want to do. But I got stuck at taking out the HU with the 2 vents. I took out the 4 bolts for under the HU. But then after that, I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to just pull it out, so if there is anything else I needed to do. I pulled it kind of hard and thought it might break...

Also, can you let me know which wires behind the HU are for rear right and left speakers? Are they gray & gray/black for rear left and white & white/black for rear right? And is the remote wire blue? I don't know these yet because I couldn't take out the HU yet. Just curious to know before I actually take it out.

Thanks.
  6. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    Once you have the four bolts out you just have to pull the unit straight out. There are four clips holding it in (one at each corner), so you may have to work it out gradually.

As for the wiring, I couldn;t tell you what the colors are without removing the unit again. You should be using harness adapters. Use this one to plug into the vehicle wiring harness:

http://www.metraonline.com/products/product_detail.asp?Product=21

and this one to plug into the factory head unit:

http://www.metraonline.com/products/product_detail.asp?Product=85
  7. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    You won't need that second one unless you want to use the original radio somewhere else. The first harness should be all you need.
  8. Offline

razz422 Guest

Message Count:
    Ok, I see. I guess I just was being too paranoid. I'll try again today. As for the wire harness, I'll just add the wires to the factory HU's wires. I'll first hook up the sub, and the rest of the speakers later when I have time. So if I use the harness, it seems like the rear speakers won't work until I hook up another amp.
    Thank you.
  9. Offline

razz422 Guest

Message Count:
    oxymoron, you were right. I need those 2 wiring harness. I saw behind of the Toyota's stock HU for the first time, and it doesn't have any wires on the HU. I was going to take out the HU and attach the wires onto the existing wires on HU, but there is none...

I looked at metraonline.com, but it seems like the site has the list of wiring harness but the site is not selling them. Where did you get yours? I saw places selling the first one (to install after market HUs), but not the second one.

Thanks.
  10. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    I bought mine at a local store. I had to order the one that fits the factory harness, so I wouldn't expect to walk into a store and buy one if I were you. Just ask and they'll be able to get it. I live in Toronto Canada and the Metra stuff is all they seem to sell here. Down south you should have more selection.
  11. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    Doh. I meant I had to order the one for the factory head unit...
  12. Offline

bucrolla Guest

Message Count:
    I was able to get both the dash kit and wiring harness at a local store. They had both in stock for a decent price. I am sure if you call around the local stereo shops someone has them. And yep, you do need both of them, but they should be in the same pack.
  13. Offline

kurikuri Guest

Message Count:
    price of dash kit and wiring

what did you pay for the dash kit and the wiring harness?
    that ensures no cutting or using wire strippers to install the new faceplate/deck right?

on my integ it was a bit more complicated. didn't seem this easy :x.
  14. Offline

bucrolla Guest

Message Count:
    I paid about $35 bucks after tax. Not all wires on my new hu were stripped, but that was only some of them. But, the wiring harness comes pre-stripped and ready to go. So ya, no cutting and only a bit of stripping depending on the hu. It was a piece of cake.