1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Recommended subwoofer size?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by rayray1, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    Recommended subwoofer size?

I want to buy a subwoofer for my car, but I still need the trunk space for hauling my belongings. What is a good size for a single subwoofer?

So far, I've been looking at an 8-inch JL 8W7 or 8W3, are they too small?

I also want to eliminate the possibility of upgrading my battery or getting an extra one.

How much amplifier power should I be feeding to the sub to get an optimal level of output?
  2. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    So far, I've been looking at an 8-inch JL 8W7 or 8W3, are they too small?
    - I'd go with a 10" if you want some OK bass without taking up too much trunk space...

I also want to eliminate the possibility of upgrading my battery or getting an extra one.
    - 1 moderate 10" sub shouldn't need an extra battery as long as yours is in good working condition

How much amplifier power should I be feeding to the sub to get an optimal level of output?
    - That depends on the sub you get, but figure that most 10" are between 200 and 300 watts RMS.

Another option would be to get a powered sub, such as the self-contained bass packages that Infinity offers, they take up very little room and still sound decent in most cases...
    http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/...SL&ser=BSL&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA
  3. Offline

DaCubanSkillz Active Member

Message Count:
    If you want want to take up less space in the trunk, I suggest a self powered bass tube. I have a 10in SAS Bass Tube and its been in the past 3 cars that I've owned. It didn't take up much space in my old corolla, the tC didn't have much room left but good enough to haul things and in the camry, there is still alot of room. I still got good boom out of it and am extremely happy.

at least with the self powered tube, you don't have to worry about buying an external amp and having to take up more space then you have too. Even if you plan on upgrading the interior speakers, you can still use an amp for those speakers and still hook up the tube. And with that you don't need 2 seperate amps. Just one for the inside and the tube already has one built in.
  4. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    having 1 sub should not eat your battery up.

the tube is a good suggestion for ok sound quality. im not sure about this but if im correct you will not get bass as low as 10" + amp.

what kinda music do you listen to?

i personally like JL subs so +1 to those.
  5. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    My goal is to have good clean in-car sound so I don't need the type of bass that will rattle my doors off. From what I am hearing, the 8W7 I've been looking at can handle up to 500w RMS easily, but I guess I can also look at the 10W7 if need be. which brings me to my question:

If I install a 500watt amp in my car, are you sure that I will not require a battery upgrade or extra battery? It seems a bit excessive, which is why I'm skeptical.

The Energizer brand one I bought 2-years ago is still in good working condition.
  6. Offline

rolla_7AFE hmong

Message Count:
    im running a single 12 alpine type r with a 800watt mtx amp and im doing fine with the stock battery
  7. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
  8. Offline

italiancorolla Authorized Stinger Dealer

Message Count:
    you can go with a 13w7
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    Depending on the Tube, you can get real good bass. I have enough bass to make me go deaf..lol.

RayRay...like I said, a tube will suffice your needs AND you will NOT need an extra battery and it will not require a battery upgrade. There will be no need to get an external amp or anything. Just one amplified tube with the amp wiring kit from anywhere and you're good to go.
  10. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    I got 1 12" sony xplod, 800w max... it's only running with 500w and I have to dial it down...

I did throw a second battery in the trunk just to have power to spare, but 1 battery is fine...
    and since I can find batteries of 700watts for $33... so I added a second one :p

I also have a 2000w+ battery from a caterpillar sitting around in the house....
  11. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
  12. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    How much did you pay for yours? What are the specs on it?
  13. Offline

Message Count:
  14. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    There is a HUGE gap in output from a self powered bass tube to a W7. Think of them as being on complete opposite sides of the spectrum -- the bass tube being on the low end, and the W7 being near the very top. A bass tube IMO is a compromise in seeking all out SQ and output, but to each his own.

That being said, if you go with a W7 or any other high powered sub, you'll need sound deadening in your trunk to prevent rattling. About the amp, look for one that puts out the subs recommended RMS wattage at the whatever ohms the sub is wired for.

EDIT: According to to the JL website here, the 8w7 ideally wants about 300 watts of power. That means it would be powered perfectly by the JL 250/1 amp found here. FYI, even though the amp is called the 250/1, it is known to put out just over 300 watts, so it would be a great match for the sub.

If you can't tell, I'm a little partial to JL, because they're known for great quality. They're also outrageously expensive. There are companies that make subs and amps that are just as capable for less money, but they're all less well known. Search some dedicated car audio forums and you'll find tons of discussions about this topic if you want to learn about some other options.
  15. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    Had the chance to demo some subwoofers today and I must say the W7 is an impressive piece of audio fidelity equipment. I heard the 8W7 in a ported box, and it hit alot harder than a 10" Alpine they had on display.
    I can't imagine what it would sound like in a small environment like the Corolla. I'm completely sold on it.

Now I just have to start saving up LOL
  16. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    eBay is your friend. :)

Also, check the edit in my post above.
  17. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    Thanks for the help :)
  18. Offline

rice cracker VVT-i's Cracker

Message Count:
    it looks like this may be a little too late but you'll be fine with the stock battery and a modest system, which the 8W7 will be, although still an awesome setup!

I've got a Kicker L7(600W RMS) and a JBL1200.1(600WRMS @ 4ohm) and things are usually pretty good with all the stock electronics, except for the times I turn up heavy bass songs :) Then it's only a little bit of dimming...