1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Fitness Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DaCubanSkillz, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Offline

DaCubanSkillz Active Member

Message Count:
    Recommendations?

So I've spoke to the wife and we decided we're gonna try this 12 week program that a co-worker is on. He's on the 8th week and he's lost 17lbs so far. I've seen some before and after pics of some people who've done this and that pretty much motivated me. Plus, with health issues creepin up on us, I think its time we do something about it.

Part of the program is to use meal replacement shakes (the one u can mix with water or milk) and bars for snacks and things like that.

Considering alot of companies have different flavors and some taste nasty and some don't..what would you recommend that I look into when I go to GNC?

Thanks,
    Will
  2. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    dont do meal replacement, thats just stupid and you can lose alot of the minerals your body needs. what i recommend is keep your diet, but excersize a shit load. the diet is actually called the Amish diet, eat anything you want. than go work it off. i suggest 24hour fitness. thats my .02 anyway
  3. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    just watch what you eat... i dont recommend meal replacements neither. do a lot of cardio exercise 4-5 times a week. stop drinking soda at all. just drink water. cut some foods out that aren't necessary in your diet ie. popcorn, chips, etc. to state the obvious, you have to burn more calories than you intake into your body if you want to lose weight.

the best thing to do is to run first thing in the morning before you eat. it will help boost your metabolism among other things.

good luck
  4. Offline

gotarheels03 New Member

Message Count:
    if you want Whey protein try Optimum Nutrition 100% Egg protein in Chocolate. By far the best tasting stuff IMO. Eat oatmeal, anything where you'd usually use white bread, use whole wheat, eat whole wheat cereal etc.
  5. Offline

DaCubanSkillz Active Member

Message Count:
    no..these aren't going to fully replace my meals. they recommend that I take these as snacks. But I have to eat a breakfast, lunch and dinner. that consists of certain foods but I'm definately not doing just a meal replacement.

Thanks for the suggestions too. At work we have a full gym for us to use thats open 24hrs. and I have a treadmill at home. The exercise routine they have has cardio in it at least 3-4 times a week. thats supposed to be on the days we're not weight lifting (for toning).

I've tried the meal replacement thing once and like you guys said, it never worked. not only that but the shit I bought tasted like garbage.
  6. Offline

TurismoDreamin ΓΡΗΓΟΡΟΣ ΟΔΗΓΟΣ

Message Count:
    Yea, don't go on diets. Don't do meal replacements. Take MovieStar's advice and eat regularly but at the same time eat smart. For instance, don't eat too many carbs but at the same time don't cut down on your carbs since your brain survives on carbs. Don't cut out salt but at the same time don't eat too much, since this could lead to heart problems and blood pressure problems. Vitamins > GNC Supplements. Calcium is very important to have while working out. But don't just rely on supplementation. Supplement Calcium and natural Calcium are two different things and believe it or not, that Calcium pill aint gonna do sh*t unless you get some real calcium. Also, cut down on sugar cuz that just gets in the way of everything.

If you want to lose weight, you can do cardio first and weight after.
    If you want to bulk up, don't do cardio before weights since you're depleting valuable energy.

Its not bad to eat too much of the okay stuff (spaghetti, Arby's, Subway, etc...) as long as you hit the gym when you should because yes, you should be burning off the bad fat faster than you'll be putting it on. Also, newbies always overload themselves. It's not necessary to stay in the gym for hours on end. Two hours is max. Another thing newbie's do is they run around and watch other people lift and try to do what they just saw.

Rule of thumb: If you can't lift it smoothly, you can't lift it.
    -So what if you're only curling with 20 lbs. dumbbells, as long as you can feel it. The only person you'll be cheating is yourself. On your first day (if your not with a personal trainer), figure out your routine. Figure out what works best for you. One exercise may work better than the other. And start with small weight. Im talkin about almost the bar. You have to get into the habit of forming the correct motion.

Thats all I can think of for now....
  7. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    portion control and increased activity...eat BETTER food, rather than substituting meals with shakes and whatnot. you're already a bigger dude, and in the words of my former roommate, "protein shakes make you fat unless you work out daily" - i can attest to that personally. i tried it, and gained 10 lbs in the span of a month. NOT COOL in my book.

i agree on the cardio and weight training, just make sure you do different things every day that you work out...that'll help increase your metabolism, which will help kill the water/fatty weight. to help maintain that metabolism, you'll also need to increase your meals. move up (slowly) to 6 smaller meals per day. an apple and maybe some cheese would be considered a meal, in this case.
  8. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    that actually doesnt sound too bad of a routine honestly, but try cardio on the weekdays, and give your self weekends off