1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Recommend me some speakers...

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Tenchi, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Offline

Tenchi New Member

Message Count:
    Recommend me some speakers...

I have a Pioneer DEH-6300 head unit that I will install this weekend. I wanted a nice set of speakers to complement the head unit. Nothing that will blow the doors off or anything, just something nice. I also have a JL 8W0 sub I will install with an amp when i get the speakers. So any suggestions???

Edit: I forgot to mention this is for a 2004 Corolla S with the 6 speaker system. Thank you!
  2. Offline

Left-Track Guest

Message Count:
    I've got Boston Fx6 in front and Boston FX9 at the back and the sound is loud and clear !!

Boston are good in voice !
  3. Offline

mickeyfickymix Guest

Message Count:
    first off boston is very good in voice, but you need a component setup for the front and whatever in the rear. Pioneer has some very good component setups. What amp are you going to be running your JL on? I guess that is a good first question. A sound system can sound great if you do it all yourself, but can also sound like crap. I need more info on what you are putting in besides head unit and sub. (amp/s)...

BTW nice choice on pioneer head unit, they are one of the better ones!
  4. Offline

Tenchi New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks. Yeah Pioneer has been good to me throughout the years. The amp I have is a Pheonix Gold 180.2 amp that will power the sub. Not all that powerful, but it's good enough for me. I am looking for speakers that the head unit can power on it's own, but sounds crisp and clear. Also the speakers would have to cover the high base that the sub will not cover. Any suggestions? Thank you for your help!
  5. Offline

cool_beans00 New Member

Message Count:
    MB Quartz Reference Series... You won't be disappointed
  6. Offline

imported_j_yota Guest

Message Count:
    Try some Diamond Audio M6 series.
  7. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    Infinity Kappas..or even reference but reference lacks bass cuz they run in higher frequencies. but they sure are clear as hell
  8. Offline

Tenchi New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Is my Pioneer head unit good enough to power these speakers on its own?
  9. Offline

mickeyfickymix Guest

Message Count:
    the head unit should be able to power components decently, however if you are going to spend some good money on speakers and want a nice clean system you should spend the extra bux and get an amp for your interiors
  10. Offline

Tenchi New Member

Message Count:
    Ok I am looking at the Infinity 6000cs 6.5 components in the front and the Infinity 6952.1 6x9s for the rear. The 6.5s are 2-90 watts RMS with a peak of 270 watts and the 6x9s are 2-90 watts RMS with a peak of 180 watts. How powerful should the amp be?

My other question is, if i do decide to get an amp for the speakers, would I just get a 4 channel amp and add it to the other amp I have for the sub, or should I get rid of the amp and get a 5 channel amp?

What gauge should the power cable be if I get another amp? Currently I have an 8 guage. Thanks for all the help!
  11. Offline

mickeyfickymix Guest

Message Count:
    I'm not exactly sure what your head unit specs are, does it have preamp outputs? if so how many? front/rear/subwoofer? If it has all 3 then your set.

If you already have an amp for your subwoofer, don't get rid of it if it powers the subwoofer fine.... you don't need anything crazy as far as an amp for your interiors. a 400 watt 4 channel amp for all your interiors should be fine, and should be easy on the pocketbook.

8 guage is ok, but different amps require different guage. you might consider running 4 guage to the trunk and if you have 2 different amps buy a power splitter that will take the 4 guage into 2 8's... all depends on your amp inputs.

for example, My system requires 0 guage inputs into my 3 amps, so I have double 0 run to the back and split off into the 0 guage required
  12. Offline

Tenchi New Member

Message Count:
    My head unit has pre amps for front and rear, no sub. So will the 4-channel amp go in the front pre-amp output and the sub amp will go in the rear pre-amp output? 4 gauge power wire to the trunk it is. Thank you for your help!
  13. Offline

akchurchill Guest

Message Count:
    I'm runnin Infinity reference series up front and fosgates in the back all off a pioneer deh1600 and it sounds pretty damn good. One suggestion though, dynamat your doors cause i find they rattle a fair bit.
  14. Offline

superakuma Guest

Message Count:
    Infinity comps are nice but they still lack bass. believe it or not the ref. line has more of a bass kick than the kappa. I havent heard the perfect but a lot of people say they still lack bass. I know many people who have are happy with there infinity.

I like the infinity because there highs really shine, sometimes too bright and it can hurt your ears. If you dont plan to put a sub I wouldnt recommend the infinity. But if you do plan to add a sub or a strong 6x9 than the infinity should be fine.

If you want good mid and dont want to crack the piggy bank check out the CDT CL comps. You can find them for $150 shipped at www.thezeb.com if they have them in stock. I think they are the best comps in that price rang. Also look into Focal Access line or the Diamond Audio M3 comp. They would be under $200. I picked up the Diamond Audio M3 comps brand new on ebay for $100 shipped, they are retailed at about $350 at the store.

For the rear 6x9 I highly recommend Pioneer. I know you can get better one out there but for the price Pioneer really kicks. When I had my 6x9 in my civic ampped a lot of people thought that I had a sub in the back. If you get 6x9 get the 2 or 3-way one, dont waste your money on 4 or 5-way speakers. Same thing with the front 2-3-way should be fine.
  15. Offline

cool_beans00 New Member

Message Count:
    I have pioneer 6.5 in the front and 6x9 in the back. I gotta be honest i was very disappointed w/ the bass.
  16. Offline

superakuma Guest

Message Count:
    sorry to hear that the pioneer 6x9 sucked. I guess the older pioneer 6x9 are not that good anymore. The one that I had was like 4 years old
  17. Offline

j0n3s Guest

Message Count:
    Infinity Kappas rock.

I'm pushing mine with a 4 x 100 amp and it sounds great. Bass is driven by subs as apposed to the infinity speakers but before my subs they still pounded nicely.
  18. Offline

shortys408 Guest

Message Count:
    i got pioneer 6x9 and kenwood 6.5 sound great but i dont notice hte bass....because i have 2 subs
  19. Offline

akchurchill Guest

Message Count:
    Infinity reference 6.5 up front have been gold for me, and rockford 3 way 6x9 hit pretty good. no complaints.

Car does lack a bit of bass, so adding single 10" MTX, just to top it all off. I'm not much of a bass head jsut like it loud and clear.