1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Ram Air Hood Or Front Bumper Air?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by w1ngzer0, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    Ram Air Hood Or Front Bumper Air?

Question for anyone that knows... :? I am currently thinking of buying a carbon fiber ram air hood now with that in mind. Would it be the same effect as geting air from the front? or would ram air be better? :? :? :?:
  2. Offline

SERG4U Guest

Message Count:
    got any pics of what this looks like...and I take it it is for you rolla right?
  3. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    i will post pics when its on the car but my question is about the effectiveness mabie i should ask a proformance shop about this.
  4. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    well you have to understand the aerodynamics of the car b4 you can tell if the ram air hood will be effective or not. most cars have them for asthetic reasons. in order of it be effective it cant be in the vaccum section of the car. by that i mean that when you look at windtunnel tests for airflow patterns there is a section of the hood/windshield where you get the least air flow. if the scoops are located in that section by any chance, you will loose a lot of effectiveness and possibly wasting your money.
  5. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    i am just asking a simple question :? all i want to know is which is better :(
  6. Offline

az_rolla Guest

Message Count:
    The way I see it, it couldn't hurt to have more airflow into the engine bay to cool stuff off. And even if it doesn't do anything to make your car faster, it'll look tight.
  7. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    RollaCE was trying to tell you there is no simple answer, read what he wrote. You would need a degree in aerodynamics to answer your "simple" question. Put it in the grill it will always get forced air at speed, that's obvious. Will it be better than the hood air scoop? No one knows for sure.
  8. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    You would need more than a degree in aerodynamics. Trust me. Air works in very mysterious ways.
  9. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    there is a simple answer and since no one knows its ok ... But dont post anything if you don't know i don't want theories or explantions why. I just want to know the simple answer of yes or no. I am sure someone that has done it before could tell me if there is better gains with a ram air hood over getting air from the front bumper
  10. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    There is no yes or no answer:

"Would it be the same effect as geting air from the front? or would ram air be better?"

What effect are you looking for? (The scoop looks cool if that's the effect you want).
    What type of induction do you have?
    Where will the scoop be located?
    What is the cross-sectional area of the scoop?
    What is the angle of incidence of the scoop relative to the hood line?
  11. Offline

T'rolla Guest

Message Count:
    "I didn't say it would be easy, Neo. I just said it would be the truth" ~ Morpheus
  12. Offline

yeye Guest

Message Count:
    ram air hood...
  13. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    well here is my simple suggestion, if you are lookin at getting more air into the engine for better air flow (more engine air intake) do what i plan on doing, since the CAI filter will be close to the driver side foglight, just take the light or black peice off and use guttermesh on both sides.

if you want more air under the hood for cooling, get the scoops as close to the front of the hood as possible for a true "ram air" effect.