1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Raising Rev Limiter

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Blk03Corolla, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    Raising Rev Limiter

Well I am planning on raising my rev limiter to 7200 rpms to see if there is any more power to be made up there. Peak hp with the TRD Piggyback and supercharger was right at fuel cut 6800 rpms so maybe there is even a few more hp to make higher. It would also give me the ability to get to peak power without bouncing off the rev limiter. Now for you that are wondering how I can do this. I talked to Jack from Unichip and he said it can be done. I hopefully will be getting in there within the next few weeks and I will let you know how it goes.
  2. Offline

APC_MATRIX_ Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah, you need those extra RPM's Tyler. Your car would be a lot faster with the extra room to play with and we know the motor is safe untill 7500 (look at the MR-S) so it shouldn't be too hard to do.

If Jack can do this, tell him I want a chip :wink:
  3. Offline

oddfish Guest

Message Count:
    tread carefully Tyler, you are probably getting into the upper limits of the valve train going past 7000. You might want to try talking to someone with experience in building these engines and get their opinion, maybe one of the guys at monkey wrench racing can help or a celica tuner. Just don't want to see your car back in the shop with a blown engine.
  4. Offline

APC_MATRIX_ Guest

Message Count:
    The stock MR-S (which has the exact same motor) has it's rev limiter at 7500 so I wouldn't be too worried with a 7200 RPM cut-off at all. In fact, that would be safer than the MR-S still :wink:
  5. Offline

oddfish Guest

Message Count:
    True enough, but forced induction is also a factor in this case. I have nothing to substantiate my worries and everything will probably be alright, but it doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution given the amount of time that Tyler has already spent on his car.

maybe i'm just being a worry wart :)
  6. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    Well thank you for worrying I do appreciate that you care. I am planning on only really taking my car too 7000 and seeing the trd piggyback took it up to 6800 I dont think the extra 200 will hurt to much knowing how cautious trd was the piggyback and supercharger. I would want the limiter set at 7200 not to take it that high but to give me the room to hit 7000 without bouncing off the rev limiter.
  7. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    Oh and Chris later that night I took my car out when it was 70 out and wow night and day lol difference. Now I just need to wait for a cool night to take my car to the track. OH and im gonna go pick up some methanol today and put a 20% mixture in and try that out.
  8. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    Doesn't the owners manual state not to use methanol.
  9. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    I dont know why it would say that? Even why it would come up?
  10. Offline

Addicted2Boost Guest

Message Count:
    still no track times or dyno numbers?
  11. Offline

APC_MATRIX_ Guest

Message Count:
    Wow, maybe you need to tune the injection system cause that shouldn't make that much difference :?

I think that the 20% methanol will help a ton when it's hot out though :wink:
  12. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    Yea well I just picked up a 5 gallon drum of it so I will be mixing it in later tonight. Just have to figure out how much is in there right now. And I was looking and then celica red line is right at 6800-7000 same with the mr2 spyder.
  13. Offline

APC_MATRIX_ Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah, the motor will be fine it's just a matter or changing it.

That's a huge thing of methanol, sheesh :twisted:
  14. Offline

APC_MATRIX_ Guest

Message Count:
    Any news on this Tyler?
  15. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    Not going to happen Unichip could do it but it would consist of going into the ECU. Basically there is no point because anything about 6250 I am loosing to much torque so there is no need to increase the rev limiter because it would just slow me down and put extra wear on my engine
  16. Offline

APC_MATRIX_ Guest

Message Count:
    Hmmm, so it can be done though, right? I will be raising the limiter to 8500 then when I build my motor up. Probably shift around 7800 or so, just want the extra RPM's to play with is all so that I don't bounce off of it all the time.

I really need to talk to Jack about this stuff and getting a Unichip :?
  17. Offline

dominator 04 Rolla 5spd.

Message Count:
  18. Offline

APC_MATRIX_ Guest

Message Count:
    Actually the stock 1ZZ can go to 7400 RPM's all day and not have any issues. I already have 2ZZ springs in my new motor though and that's obviously been proven to 8400 or so with the PowerFC so I think I'll be fine :wink: