1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Questions about Coilovers

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by sddynamix, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Offline

sddynamix Taybo Masta

Message Count:
    Questions about Coilovers

hey guys!

gonna through out some newb questions about coilovers - how much of a pain in the ass are they to adjust? (ride height), i'm thinking about getting a good set of coilovers before rims so I can keep a nice drop while i'm in san diego and raise it when I'm in los angeles (all the driveways i go up are STEEP, and my trd muffler tip is half gone). Is it easy, or would it involve a lot of work?

Thanks!
  2. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    Basically, if you decide that you want to lower your car one day you will need to jack it up and take the wheel off. Then you will need to use the "key" that came with your suspension and wrench on it (right there inside the wheelwell). After you get the height you want you put the wheel back on. Repeat this 4 times and there you go. It will take you about 30 minutes if you're good.
  3. Offline

fastrolla96 speedbumps..yum

Message Count:
    If you want coilovers that's better to adjust get groundcontrols. They only have 1 sleeve ring instead of 2. They are better then some conventional brands because the sleeves are design a bit different so rocks don't clog it up and make it hard to adjust.
  4. Offline

sddynamix Taybo Masta

Message Count:
    Does anyone have any issues/squeeking/noise with the ground controls?

And how are JIC's? I mean - what sets them apart? What's the difference (aside from about $1000) between the two?

Thanks again!
  5. Offline

Tamago New Member

Message Count:
    jic is an actual coilover set, not a cheezy sleeve coilover like GC.

you don't have to remove your wheels to adjust coilovers.. just relieve the pressure on the spring, and you're good to go.

Jic magic >>>> most brands available for your car.
  6. Offline

Vamp Gunmetal 2001 Corolla S

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Gunmetal Grey 2001 Corolla S
    Using my racing jack, I can have my car lowered or raised back to stock height in under 10 mins. I have ground controls on Tokico struts.
  7. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    Oh no. Vamp always has to outdo us all...

hehe j/k
  8. Offline

Vamp Gunmetal 2001 Corolla S

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Gunmetal Grey 2001 Corolla S
    Lol! Nah, just saying that adjusting the height is mad easy. The only problem is if you've been driving with it lowered for a while, then raise it up to stock height, the ride is pretty harsh/loud when hitting bumps.