1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Pit bulls

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hummer, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Pit bulls

I just wanted to get some peoples opinions on pitbulls, it just disgusts me that people have so much hatred towards these dogs, the media blasting about how vicious they are and dangerous. When I lived with my roommates a year or two ago I adopted a pit bull and raised him for several months before having to give him up and he was the greatest dog I have ever spent time with, he was just like a kitten, would sleep with me in bed by my legs and sometimes id even wake up with his thing in my face XD. Pit bulls naturally like to bite as mine did, I watched my Bobo demolish one of those giant plastic bones in just a couple days and those things are as hard as rock, yet when I would play with him and he would bite me it felt like a tickle. One time while walking my dog I let him off his leash and he ran up to a middle age chick and she completely freaked out, I think pit bulls are completely misunderstood, its not the breed that turns an animal vicious its the owner, and I've been around enough owners and pit bulls to know that.

[IMG]
  2. Offline

rolla_7AFE hmong

Message Count:
    man thats is true about pit bull...its all up to the owner.
  3. Offline

Phan Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1985 Maxima Blue RIP, 2000 Corolla White SOLD, 1993 300zx Conv. Pearl White DD, 2004 350z Roadster Pearl White DD
    you shouldn't be owning animals if your gonna give them away.
  4. Offline

Edwin562 SWAG MASTER

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    98 180sx
    man i think its a bunch of bs wat media says... dog will be depending on the way owner discipline and affection... I own 2 pits.... most lovable dogs i ever owned... no aggression towards anything....i know its bs wat media says cuz i can see it with my own 2 eyes...
  5. Offline

FolkenStrategos Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    You guys are the exception maybe?
  6. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    I knew a pit bull that was around in my neighborhood for at least 5 years, no problems ever. The owners are nice people and have a couple dogs so they know how to raise them. One day I was out on a bike ride and when I come back up to my town home the mother fucker sprints towards me and bites the shit out of my foot. I had my .45 on me as I usually do when I go out for bike rides (the mountain lions are a legit threat where I go riding) so I put a bullet in his shoulder, and the mother fucker was still walking around. I felt sorry for it so I had to shoot him again to end the pain. First hand experience just goes to show you how viscious they are by nature. I remember when I was a kid someone in hawaii got attacked by some pit bulls and died, after stabbing 2 ice picks through the dogs skull.

This was last fall btw. The owners didn't hate me for it, they understood. They were just happy I didn't sue.
  7. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    my neighbors pit is ridiculously friendly to people, wouldn't hurt anybody. The owner definitely has a huge impact on how these dogs turn out.
    but isnt each breed different in terms of personality characteristics, ie: aggression level? There's gotta be a reason as to why pits are deemed dangerous.
  8. Offline

MstwntdFlip Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I own a 1 year old pitbull a 4 month bishon shitzu and my pitbull wouldnt hurt a fly till it actually has too. i take him out in the parks without a leash and the kids love him.
  9. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    bad breeding and bad training make for a bad dog, regardless of the breed. i hate labs and goldens because people around me keep getting badly bred dogs, and so many of them are untrained...

i hate most dogs, anyway, but labs and goldens piss me off.
  10. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Any breed is just as likely to be aggressive, pit bulls arent the only breeds to have severely injured persons or even taken lives. I think its also been found in a study that goldens are the naturally most violent breed of dogs. I've even heard from people at work that they've given up their retrievers because their too aggressive with them and their children.
  11. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    I don't like dogs... problem solved...

cats are... mostly ok, just for me to own one? nah
  12. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I notice how some people get pit bulls or rottweilers just because of the dog's reputations so they can make themselves look hard.

Anyways, I don't care for dogs much either. They're too clingy/needy IMO.
  13. Offline

JrollaS Member

Message Count:
    A couple of my friends have pit bulls and they are the nicest friendliest dogs I know. They just love people and id doesnt matter if theyve met them before or not... they just like people. Both those dogs well well trained and are in excellent shape. Personally i want a Rottweiler. Those too are truly misunderstood. Every rottweiler ive known was well mannered and a great family dog and will protect the family. They are smart and are a good judge of character. Those are the 2 reasons i want a rot, gaurd dog and family dog. but back to the pit bull, ive read its all about the training and everyone of them ive known was great and just loved being around people. And no one ive known has been bit by them.
  14. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    I read on a website somewhere....

Cats: You feed them, clean up their poop, and love them. They must be god.

Dogs: You feed them, clean up their poop, and love them. YOU must be god.

I agree that dogs are too needy.
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    agreed, Rotties are great dogs, but they need more training than your average mutt. smart dogs = destructive dogs when bored.
  16. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Or most people are just too pussy to get one.
  17. Offline

Phan Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1985 Maxima Blue RIP, 2000 Corolla White SOLD, 1993 300zx Conv. Pearl White DD, 2004 350z Roadster Pearl White DD
    yeah! real man own Pitbull... i have 2 chihuahua 2 chicken 1 cat and a couple of kittens later
  18. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    They're awesome dogs, my neighbor has 3 of them, pure bred too and they are the coolest dogs ever. I am thinking of getting one or two when I move out into my own place. It is all about how the owners treat the dog during their lifetime that will either give that violent turnout or not.... and with any dog really.
  19. Offline

Unique102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    one of my co-workers owns a 8yr old pit and she is one of the best dogs. She is just like a person, she has so much emotion. I would never think of her hurting anyone unless someone was harrassing/messing with her family. I believe its completely up to the owner to determie how the dog will turn out. I've met some crazy ass boxers but all of ours have been amazing pets. They have so much personality and are so obedient. Again, it comes down to training and discipline.
  20. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Media will latch onto anything that might generate headlines - I agree, doesn't really matter the breed of dog, all depends on the breeding (genetics) and training.

I, myself raise German Shepards. None of them I would consider "aggressive", unless I trained them in that manner (ex, some of them were trained to be part of K9 units, donated them to local municipalities). But with all larger breeds, quick learning breeds - without proper oversight and training, they can quickly dominate a household and can be overly aggressive.

Most of the problem dog you see on the news were ones raised by individuals or families that did not have the proper means or aptitude to raise such an animal. Unfortunately, insteading of blaming the owners, the blame gets pushed onto the animal - which reacted the way nature intended.
  21. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    completely agree. when i got my boxer i started with training right when i got him. his attention span was limited, but training needs to be started early and most owners of medium to large breeds don't understand that. my boxer was completely ruled by my 6 pound shih tzu and they played with each other for hours. small breeds are also just as likely if not more likely to bite since they're not usually trained and owners just put up with the behavior.

pit bulls are great dogs also. they're a powerful breed, but if you work and socialize the dog then you will have a perfect family pet.
  22. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I seem to notice that the little Chihuahuas are more agressive and mean than any others.
  23. Offline

Message Count:
    that comes from people treating them like toys, not dogs. treat a dog like a dog and it'll act properly. treat it like an accessory, avoid training it, and prevent it from ever touching the damned ground and it'll turn into a neurotic mini hellbeast.
  24. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    So fucking +1 on that.

Like a dog is supposed to shit in a goddamn purse. Stupid people.