1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Painting Atlis Style Grill

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by bmw000, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Offline

bmw000 Guest

Message Count:
    Painting Atlis Style Grill

In anticipation of my atlis style grill. I see everyone who got these had it painted the same as the color of thier car.

How did you guys do the painting? Can you get spray cans of your color paint from toyota? What about clear coat?

What would the cost be to get it painted from a body shop?

My car is indigo ink pearl.
    Should I paint the mesh white or leave it black?

Thanks In Advance,
    Brian Weber
  2. Offline

SolidSnake Guest

Message Count:
    Get it professionally done.....It won't cost much more than getting the supplies yourself, and will look a hell of a lot better. Getting mine painted cost $65.
  3. Offline

lostboy New Member

Message Count:
    I think most people get them painted at the shops. They cost around 60-110 depending on where you go ...

I haven't gotten one yet, but i'm thinking of leaving it black on my white car...might look ok ... but i also might paint it like a gunmetal color ... to match my future gunmetal rims ... mine's grey right now anyhow... paint the mesh if you want... maybe black or silver it's up to you ...

good luck

If anyone has a black unpainted grill on their white rolla...i'd love to see a pic...thanks
  4. Offline

bmw000 Guest

Message Count:
    When I get mine, I'll post pics. I'm gonna install it stock unpainted black to see how it looks. I might like it that way and leave it. Where I work, they can paint it for me, powder coat it. Just got to pay for the paint. Gotta wait till winter though when business slows down. There not gonna waist a couple of hours to paint one part during the busy summer season.
  5. Offline

bzzsan Guest

Message Count:
  6. Offline

bmw000 Guest

Message Count:
    Finally got my atlis style grill today. Installing the mesh on it and installing it on the car wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Here are pics of it installed, before and after. I know, my car needs to be washed and waxed. Going to take care of that this weekend.

I think I am going to leave it black and unpainted. It has a nice shine to it. Just needs a little wax to protect it.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/m/bmw000/corolla/before01.jpg
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/m/bmw000/corolla/after01.jpg
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/m/bmw000/corolla/after02.jpg

Brian Weber
  7. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    It looks fine unpainted since your car is dark blue.
    Good job! 8)
  8. Offline

Baby Lex Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah...it looks good since you don't have an S...because it matches your fog inserts. 8)
  9. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah it looks good when u leave it unpainted I did that for awhile till I had it painted
  10. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    man the paint job cost is what is holding me back, or i would buy one from you today SSJ_Rolla, its like $60 around here to paint it, so i'll see if i can find some cheap ppl by my college.
  11. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    coo....do alot of searching for places the lowest u will probably find is 30 bucks
  12. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    aight thanks for the tip
  13. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:

no prob
  14. Offline

dragonfiyah513 Guest

Message Count:
    i jus recently got the atlis grill but lucky for me my best friend works in a paint shop so i got mine painted for free
  15. Offline

Baby Lex Guest

Message Count:
    Lucky!!! 8)
  16. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    hehe, or u cold do what i did and get the chrome OEM Altis grill
  17. Offline

Hyper81 Guest

Message Count:
    ok im gettin that altis mesh grill , now look at the pic of my car on the side... what do you think should i have them painted to match the car or just leave it black? i need to save money ahead of time...i already got the money for the grill.
  18. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    get it painted to match ur car but if funds are a prob then just leave it unpainted black it will still look good
  19. Offline

Yoda Guest

Message Count:
    anyone have any experience with paint work done by Maaco?? also, if done professionally, what should i have them do??? like for the grill frame do they prime, base, and clearcoat; or should they just base and clearcoat. For the metal mesh grill should they rust proof, prime, base , and clearcoat or what???
  20. Offline

stewardcboy Guest

Message Count:
    I just got mine. I went down to the local body shop supply store and they mixed me a spray can for my paint code (Lunar Mist). I primed then painted it in my basement last night. The result was a smooth factory match. I'll install it in a few days, after it sets up. Total cost for primer and paint was less than $20 Canadian.

DC
  21. Offline

Timbot Guest

Message Count:
    what if you get a couple things of touch up paint from the dealership? and put that in a sprayer.. think that would work. i got one of those air sprayers
  22. Offline

BizaRRo DereK Guest

Message Count:
    lol noo

most body shops can actully mix paint to match your paint code (found in driver side door) and place it in a compressed air can. That and some high grade clear coat and your set... Down where i live this shop called NMB Paint does the paint for like $20 a can (20oz bottle) and $10 per clear coat bottle... thats how we paint all our stuff down here... why spend $500 from the dealer or body shop if you can do it your self :)