1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Oil leak

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Hummer, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    So my corollas parking spot has accumulated an oil drip that has been getting bigger and bigger with time. I havent had time to check the culprit but im hoping its a worn out oil pan seal or something. Any other ideas? Things to check?
    Car has about 125,000 miles on it.
  2. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Most likely not, but check your valve cover. Mine was leaking, as well as a dude on here not too long ago. Mine didn't leak onto the ground, just went off the side of the valve cover, dripped onto the tranny, and fried. My guess is the seal around the oil pan. I assume you scrape your car on pretty much everything like I do?
  3. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Also check the distributor area. My car started leaking there too...
  4. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    We dont have distributors on 1999+ corollas. I think the actual culprit is the valve cover because when i checked today there is alot of oil around the seal so I guess ill have to change that. Anyone have a DIY? hehe.
  5. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    lulz. sorry.

What is it with valve cover gaskets? My 1991 land cruiser always had this problem..
  6. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Another common area with this generation at that mileage is the timing chain tensioner. Has an o-ring that can dry out and start leaking. Looks like a valvecover leak too - so it would be a good idea to clean around the suspected leak and see where the source is. Just changed the tensioner on mine - did it the same time I have the valvecover off when I was checking valve clearances. 15 minute job - hardest part is getting your arm in there to get at the two bolts.