1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Off topic transmission

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by wasabinuts2go, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Offline

wasabinuts2go BeeP BEEP!

Message Count:
    Off topic transmission

Some of you might know that i don't drive my corolla as much. I drive a Chevy Venture (mini-van)... not what i really wanna drive.

Well I know this is off-topic. I'm having a problem with the van. When i start the car and put it in reverse... it doesn't go to reverse, so i switch it to D (drive) it doesn't move... so no matter what i do switching the automatic gears from P R N D 3 2 1 , it gives no response when i gas it. all you hear is me gasing my van like an idiot. This has been happening a lot!

So I had to figure out something, since the owner (my dad) won't fix it. Every time i start my car, lets say everyday, sometimes it's ok, but sometimes I rev it really hard and gas it, then the engine with shake a little bit, and then it will go into that gear? another thing is when start it leave it at reverse, (at the time it won't switch to the gear) then rev it, then it works for less than a sec and the van dies. Can someone tell me what is going on?

Basically the only thing that works for me is to rev the engine, when it's in a gear... which is pretty dangerous when you're at supermarkets or malls. might run into somebody. Any ideas?
  2. Offline

DOT. Noypi ako!

Message Count:
    Sad to say the tranny might be dead. If you have a budget try changing the ATF and see if that works.
  3. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    sounds like the shift solenoids are fucked up.. time to junk it.

BTW what's that one good american car? hmmm LOL
  4. Offline

wasabinuts2go BeeP BEEP!

Message Count:
    the thing is that i still drive it everyday, and the van is 1997. somebody told me this is a typical thing w/ chevy's...
  5. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    normally when it gets to this point the trans fluid needed to be changed along time ago. if your trans has a dip stick then park it on a flat and run it through the gears with your foot on the brake, then put the parking break on and leave it in neutral, and check your fluid like you would your oil. if its low just top off through the dipstick tube with a super long and skinny funnel, and some ATF. now on the other hand if it is full it may be time to start saving up for a new trans or even van.

most cars, yes even crappy american cars can and will run fairly well into old age with some TLC and a bit of routine maintenance, oil is not the only thing that you have to change in your car trans fluid doesn't last forever and will eventually start to burn off. we have a few taurus's that come in to our shop with well over 200K on the dial and run like a top because the people who own them *GASP* took care of them and kept up on their maintenance

ok that got a bit long winded and I'm sorry...
    </rant>
  6. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    by dad had a auto tranny problem with his focus at 31K miles. Luckly it was under warranty but when I went online to see if anyone else was having the same problem, the guys at the focus fourms say it seem to happen every 30K miles. And one guy replaced his shift solenoid 3 times since he has 95K miles on it. What a POS, nowonder the big 3 is going bankrupt!
  7. Offline

wasabinuts2go BeeP BEEP!

Message Count:
    Somethings do make sense now.. i have no idea if my dad ever changed the ATF before, i'll ask tommorow, but it has about 71,000 miles on the engine, and there was a point where he never really drove it, and parked it outside for a long time. But i will definitely test out your idea! Thanks!

so does he still have the focus? or is it long gone?
  8. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    my rolla when I first got it, it ran like shit, idled like a seizure patient, and mpg was shit...

some... 2000~ dollars later (tires/suspension/ALL filters) car runs good again...

as Denver Rolla says... it all depends on the kinda driver/owner.