1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Noise While I Drive

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by MstwntdFlip, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Offline

MstwntdFlip Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Hey guys I know i haven't posted in here for a while now, but after my car got fixed after some one front ended me while i was parked, i few days later of the accident i noticed sounds from my wheel( I thought it was coming from an unbalanced wheel) so i kinda just ignored it, the car got fixed blah blah and to my surprise it was still there and even my freinds and my girlfreind noticed it, its a CONSTANT thumping sound in the front part of my car, the faster i go the faster the thumping sound is, so i ignored thinking once i change to winter steelies it should be gone cause my steelies are balanced. WRONG, its still there, its a thumping sound and the faster i drive the faster it is, WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM? i dont want to pay a mechanic 150$ to just tell me it needs alignment or something.
    would it be a broken ball joint, it cant be alignment cause if i let go of the wheel my car is straight. i want to get this fixed before winter starts. any ideas?
  2. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    depending how the car was hit... could be a wheel bearing, cracked CV joint, brake issue.

The usual test for a CV joint problem is turning in a tight circle and see if the sound gets significantly worse than driving straight
  3. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Does it only happen when you are turning?
  4. Offline

Edwin562 SWAG MASTER

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    98 180sx
    engine mounts???
  5. Offline

MstwntdFlip Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    nope only when im driving
  6. Offline

rolla98 New Member

Message Count:
    I got the same problem when my front wheel hit the wall during a drift at 80 mph. The quickest way to figure out what's wrong without buying new pieces from the control arm out to the wheel is to swap the parts from one side to the other.

Start with the wheel. Swap it to the other side or front to back to see if the sound goes to another location. If it does it's the wheel and/or tire.

Then swap the brake rotor to the other side. See if the sound moves.

The only other peices left if that didn't work is the drive axel, hub, and bearings. These are harder to DIY swap. If its the drive axel, it could be either the top or bottom CV boot and joints are cracked. If the boots are intact you might know there is damage unless you try to take it out and the joints come apart.

Hub and bearing are tough to get out on your own. Need a machine shop to press them out and back in. Might has well swap them with new pieces if you suspect them.

The only thing that might cause it from my experience is the break dust cover is too close to the brake rotor. It doesn't touch the rotor but close enough that the air pressure causes it to pulsate. You only need to push it back by hand when you take off the wheel.

Well good luck.
  7. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    also, lower control plates have 2 bushing that brake down in time... changed them in mine yesterday, now the car doesn't sound like a clacking old bed
  8. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Its your axle... my gf had the same problem on her car, terrible sound.