1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine New to Corollas, engine replacement?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by psaphoto, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Offline

psaphoto Guest

Message Count:
    Ok, I found a 99 with 35k miles for $400 with all accessories here locally. Sounds like a deal to me. I'm going to do spark plugs & other little things like that before I put the new engine in. I'm also going to replace the hoses and belts.

Also, anyone know a good source for (non dealer) motor mounts?
  2. Offline

psaphoto Guest

Message Count:
    New to Corollas, engine replacement?

Hey guys, you have a great board here with lots of good information on these cars.

I just picked up a 98 LE/auto with a torn up block for my girlfriend. I'm trying to get my hands on a 2001 Engine for a swap out. From everything I have seen this should be a direct replacement right? I plan on using the existing ECU, harness, tranny, etc.

Couldn't find any info on the site or elsewhere with information, any help or tips? :confused:

Also I have the hoist, air tools, and all kinds of fun tools in my garage so I should be all set there.

[IMG]
  3. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    ZZE110, MA70, JZA70, AE92 GT-S x2, xB with a rollcage, 900 ft-lb Dodge Ram
    I wouldn't go for a 2001 engine. it's got different sensors and a different valvetrain from 98-99. it would not be "plug and play" with your girl's 98 ecu. you should stick with 98-99 motors to keep your swap as problem free as possible.
  4. Offline

psaphoto Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks for the info, any other tips anyone? I'll make sure to take lots of pictures and post a DIY on the job.

I plan on unboling the tranny and axels, then unhook the wiring harness and hoses and hoist it out the top. Need to find a cheap Haynes manual ...
  5. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I'd stick with the 98/99 Corolla/Prizm motor (same fuckin thing)

As stated above, if you do an upgrade to 00-02 You're going to be upgrading everything from the wiring harness to the ECU. Not to mention your ignition system will need to be replaced as the 00-02 models use coil on plug rather than a 2 coil wasted spark model.

Another thought, you can also do a few more tricks with the 98-99 non-vvti motor. You can work on the timing of the cams to squeeze a few more hp out of it. If ya do it right and P&P the head you could end up with a nice 15-25hp gain which would be more than dropping in a 00-02 motor.

Just my thoughts on it.
  6. Offline

corollinout New Member

Message Count:
    i did an engine replacement in my 98 in four days, working only about 4 hours a day if that
  7. Offline

CraigW New Member

Message Count:
    Hey psaphoto !! Any ideas what took out the old engine by chance? CW
  8. Offline

psaphoto Guest

Message Count:
    I haven't cracked it open yet, hopefully I can get it towed to my house today and I'll open up the head. I think the timing chain broke/came off.