1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

New Pope chosen

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by corollarider19, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
    New Pope chosen

more to follow
  2. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    CNN's got an article on it...

VATICAN CITY (CNN) -- White smoke rose from a Sistine Chapel chimney and bells rang Tuesday, signaling the selection of a new pope.

Thousands of people in St. Peter's Square clapped and waved flags as the smoke billowed over Vatican City.

Suspense built as the throng waited for the symbolic ringing of bells, at which point the crowd broke into a roar of jubilation.

The 115 cardinals' morning ballots were burned at about 11:50 a.m. (5:50 a.m. EDT).

After each pair of votes, the ballots were burned in a stove at the Sistine Chapel, with the white smoke in the evening announcing to observers outside that a pope has been elected.

Black smoke had come from the chimney after the two morning votes.

more here: http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04/19/pope.tuesday/index.html
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    iam very intrested in this
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    waitwait...apparently CNN(the channel, not the website) just said it was black smoke...

i'm going to wait till tonight before i say anything more...hopefully they'll decide the color of the smoke by 7...
  5. Offline

fineline cc fo life

Message Count:
    lol... it's kinda funny... everyone staring at a chimney waiting for a certain colour smoke!!
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    well, they're following Church tradition. it seems funny now, but that was the only way the common people would know back before they were actually able to mingle with "upper class" people. when there was a severe class separation, common folk wouldn't know unless they had something visible like that. it's not like they could read something pasted to a wall...most of them couldn't read to begin with.
  7. Offline

gotarheels03 New Member

Message Count:
    you know, I feel kinda bad that im not really following this. Im a bad catholic.
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    and i stopped following the Catholic religion, but i'm on top of this like a moddafugga :p
  9. Offline

TurismoDreamin ΓΡΗΓΟΡΟΣ ΟΔΗΓΟΣ

Message Count:
    Nabcmus Papam!!

*****EDIT****Habemus Papam!!

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger elected
    changed name to Benedict the 16th
    (chosen because it Benedict means blessed one...the blessings god has given us)
    (On a personal level, i dont think it was wise to choose a man who is already 78 years old.....and....pope john paul II was much more of a person that id be more inclined to take a picture with over than this guy but its all good)

yup, i just came home, turned on the tube n wham!....so many ppl in st. peters bisilica.....they pictured some of the people pouring in and they were all like running and jumping over stuff and i couldnt stop laughing....but i dunno, if i was there id probably go crazy too....

Just waitin to see the guy pop out on the balcony and say the words accepto!
  10. Offline

gotarheels03 New Member

Message Count:
    yeah i pretty much only go to church on 1 or 2 major holidays. Im indifferent as far as religion goes. Not really sure what I think of religion in general.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    a german thats amazing
  12. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    There nothing really amazing about it.....Ratzinger was basically the shoe in for the position. Its not really a surprise that he was chosen. Hes been basically aiming for the position for a while now.
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    well yea after hearing the news but two none italian popes in a row now
  14. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    who would've though.....
  15. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Shortest conclave in history.....so there really wasnt much competition. Ratzinger already held very high positions within the vatican...we'll see how he handles the position.
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    iam not so sure they made the right choice i thought they should have went younger
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    NO, it's good they went with an older guy...they didn't want him to be in office as long as the previous Pope.
  18. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Most of the time the Vatican chooses older people more than younger people.... or so I've heard.
  19. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    True, most popes are older in age....because you have to be pretty high up in the hierarchy of the vatican to even be considered pope. Popes positions are usually expected to last 5-15 years on average.

Dont base it on John Paul II's term....that was very long compared to what the Vatican prefers. Remember, you are Pope until you die. The Vatican doesnt want the same pope for many many years, especially if the popes views are not what the vatican supports.
  20. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    yea they do have all that age preference and all that. John Paul II's term was long but I guess nobody really expected that you know.... the guy was pretty kew though. I know I wouldn't have the nerve to forgive someone that shot me twice and bringing me closer to and end.... the guy did some pretty amazing things on his 20 somethin years on top.
  21. Offline

Message Count:
    Did anyone else notice this.....the reporter person pointed it out.....it was sprinkling and cloudy outside before the Pope showed himself.....when the Pope stepped out onto the balcony, the sprinkling stopped shortly before that....and while he was being introduced, the clouds began to clear and the sun came out......and the reporter said that it started to get warmer as well....hmm...what do you guys think of this....divine intervention of the weather???
  22. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Well, usually when the clouds part and the SUN comes out, it gets warmer. :)
  23. Offline

MoonAngel New Member

Message Count:
  24. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    So what are you implying? That the world is going to come in an end because the Pope took the name Benedictus?

Have you also read the Far Behind series?
  25. Offline

MoonAngel New Member

Message Count:
    lol no. i said take it as it is, something someone wrote that's it. i just think it's interesting to read

Did you mean Left Behind? I think I've heard of it but not familiar with it 8/
  26. Offline

hellapinoy 2000 Celica GTS

Message Count:
    i go to St. Benedict high school right now here in chicago... and our school was overflowed with news people interviewing students and theology teachers... there were like 6 news trucks outside the school...
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    For some really weird reason, Tulsa gets the WGN Chicago news....i guess since we have one of their channels, they want to show their news to us....its strange sometimes cuz it will be all hot and stuffy here and they show pictures of chicago and there's blizzard-like conditions....anyways, ill probably have to try n catch that sometime then....
  28. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Yeah, meant Left Behind.
  29. Offline

Prodigy3006 Rubber Man

Message Count:
    haha, Far Behind! thats funny!
  30. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Yeah, just goes to show what little significance I gave that series.