1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

New poll reveals Americans think U.S. builds better cars than Asia

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by Autoblog, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Offline

Autoblog Guest

Message Count:
    New poll reveals Americans think U.S. builds better cars than Asia

Filed under: Chrysler, Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota

[IMG]

Back in December, 2006, an AOL/ Associated Press poll showed that 46 percent of Americans felt Asian automakers made superior cars, while only 29 percent of U.S. residents preferred domestic cars and trucks. But Toyota's recall woes and the sudden rise of Ford's popularity has apparently conspired to turn those poll numbers on end. A new AP poll launched in March shows that 38 percent of Americans now favor domestic vehicles, while only 32 percent of those polled felt Asian automakers made superior products. 15 percent of those surveyed felt European autos were best, down two percentage points from the 2006 poll.

Ford posted the biggest gains in the survey, as 18 percent of customers say they preferred the Blue Oval, double the nine percent from 2006. Ford picked up nearly all of its votes from Toyota, as the Japanese automaker went from 25 percent in 2006 to 15 percent in March. General Motors also managed an 18 percent score, about the same total as it did in 2006. Chrysler scored only three percent in both surveys. Over 90 percent of car owners felt they were satisfied with their GM, Ford, Honda or Toyota. Chrysler came in at under 90 percent. Also interesting to note is that 56 percent of those queried say they own at least one domestic auto, the same number as the 2006 survey.

One of the oddest outcomes of the poll came on the safety front. Even though cars are generally considered safer now than they were in 2006, only 51 percent of those surveyed felt Asian or domestic autos are safe. Also bizarre was the fact that the number of people who were willing to purchase an alternative fuel vehicle dropped from 70 percent in 2006 to 61 percent in 2010. Head over to the Detroit Free Press for more information about the AP survey, and then feel free to drop your fellow commenters a line about who you think builds the best cars and trucks.

[Source: Detroit Free Press | Image: Larry W. Smith/Getty]New poll reveals Americans think U.S. builds better cars than Asia originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:20:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
  2. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    shut up already you have nothing useful to contribute to society Autoblog bot.

Its an AOL poll...America Online....Who the fuck still uses AOL? Rednecks. Who drives american cars? Rednecks. So how are they likely to vote? Thats like the republican party polling only republicans on what they think about Obama

Autoblog will post about anything, please stfu. Haven't we banned this fag yet?
  3. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Agree. I think it was banned temporarily.
  4. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    people stopped posting auto news so he's back.

and yes, 99% of the people taking that poll are idiots.
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    That's pretty close to the percentage of total idiots in America as a whole as well. lol
  6. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    aol....aphhtttt. havent used that crap in ages.
    so whos buying a ford now?
  7. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    i'd buy ford trucks but i dont have construction co. lol

oh, and 2010 mustang gt (if was rich) haha
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    The only domestic car I would want would be the Cadillac CTS.
  9. Offline

whydontyouchoos KFM

Message Count:
    +1 on that the new CTS V is too much fun to drive
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Drop is on some nice wheels and exhaust and I'm set. :cool:
  11. Offline

mochatron New Member

Message Count:
    While the poll itself is idiotic and wrong, I think the main point is that the reliability of American brands is catching up with Asian brands. For that reason, I actually don't completely disagree with this. Sources like Consumer Reports also say that reliability has actually increased in American brands like Ford and Cadillac. Toyota reliability has been on the decline for some years now, and their studies reflect that too. Whats stupid about this poll is the stupid Americans might only be thinking about the decline of Toyota. And totally forgetting the two best brands: Honda and Subaru.