1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

New here ex IS300 owner.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by speedy, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Offline

speedy Guest

Message Count:
    New here ex IS300 owner.

Hi folks,

Due to some job market uncertainty I chose to part ways with my beautiful GGP Lexus IS300 and buy a Corolla to beat up on my commute instead. Save some $$$. I bought a 2004 Corolla S (whatever the silver color is called). I laughed when I saw a lot of common parts in the interior and I paid only half of what the Lexus cost. Overall I'm extremely happy with it. Very roomy, rides pretty decent and gets twice the gas mileage. My only complaints are the engine has less power than a lawn mower and it handles like a brick, but I'm sure I can work on this.

Here's my ex: :cry:

[IMG]
  2. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Welcome to the forum. It probably feels like a lawn mower because it's front wheel drive and has less torque than an IS. There is a supercharger for the corolla that adds some torque and about 36HP, but it costs around $2500 + $500 for install. Nice part is you keep your factory warranty.

Check out my site for almost all the performance mods for your car. If you wanted the S/C you would look for "TRD Supercharger (2004 Version)" under Engine/Transmission.
  3. Offline

speedy Guest

Message Count:
    You really can keep the factory warranty with that?
  4. Offline

js10coastr Guest

Message Count:
    welcome....you'll love the gas milage.

And the corolla really isn't that slow...when your car is empty, and it's cold out...and when you really push the revs...going downhill..

I don't think the handling is that bad (for a FF), but it's not very exciting. I'm looking the swap out for a faster rack, and get rid of all the compliance in the steering. Throw in a strut bar, and it'll be one accurate machine.
  5. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Welcome! :D

Nice looking IS (Altezza). Perhaps you won't feel so bad about driving a Corolla when gasoline prices rise to $3 per gallon this summer. For whatever reasons you chose to sell your previous car, I'm sure you'll find ways to transform your new Corolla to exciting new performance heights. As mentioned, the TRD S/C is a "cheap" (when compared with an Altezza) solution for dramatic HP increases.

I originally purchase my Corolla as an inexpensive solution to my long commute to work. I think I made a wise choice. I'm pretty satisfied!

BTW, I would say that a stock Corolla has the same handling as a sponge... :lol:
  6. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    The supercharger is made by TRD (Toyota Racing Development). The warranty of the car really is voided, but the TRD warranty takes the place of the factory one for the remainder of your original warranty. Toyota dealers are required to honor the warranty of TRD.
  7. Offline

speedy Guest

Message Count:
    Hehe I couldn't think of anything better at the moment but now that I think about it you're absolutely right. :lol:
  8. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    actualyl stock suspension of our corolla...even if being tall n all...is actually not that bad. but hten and again, i'm comparing to my other car, a 91 corolla w/ h&r and still soft suspension haha. but definately the suspension upgrades make the corolla handle way better
  9. Offline

zhentipede Guest

Message Count:
    :wink: knw what u mean welcome to the forum.... yep i gave up my suv and acura for this one
    and lovin' it.. the gas whew u can go anywhere anytime, w/o worries especially
    when budget is a concern.... dang i use to fill up my 3.5 suv every 4 days and i travel
    only 28 miles bothways to work...... (side street)... i could just imagine ..damn that coculd have been put to somethin' else like beer cigarretes and shooting pool.... lol
    it is money that i have now that i did not have b4 hehehe now i can stay low in insurance/ monthly pymnts/ minimal maintainance hhahha the works... then upgrade
    to ur liking
  10. Offline

zhentipede Guest

Message Count:
    btw that was 14 miles to work then 14 miles back lol whew

so now we just use my ladies suv for long trips hehehe
  11. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    How about 90 miles round trip? 28 miles? That's when I start drinking my coffee... :wink:
  12. Offline

zhentipede Guest

Message Count:
    lol.... yeaph 14 miles of agony side streets... no alternate freeways...

u have a choice. this street or that other parallel street lol :shock:

los angeles driving.. sigh... hehehehe
  13. Offline

zhentipede Guest

Message Count:
    o did i mention it takes almost a f*n hour of agony in 14 miles? lol

my homies drive over 50 miles one way and they get to work before me deng
    o well daz why i love the gas mileage of this corolla..... :lol:
  14. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Are you actually from LA or some other surrounding city like West Hollywood, Culver City, South Pasadena, Torrance...? I'm not from LA, but I find that most people that I meet say they're from LA when they are not.

And I would agree with you. Metro LA traffic sux!

I live in the midwest. Outside of Metro Chicagoland there really isn't any traffic.
  15. Offline

speedy Guest

Message Count:
    I live in the SF bay area and I'm going 40 miles each way. The gas mileage alone makes this car worth it. And I guess at this stage I'd rather have my money in my pocket than in the driveway :D
  16. Offline

SolidSnake Guest

Message Count:
    It takes me on average 90 minutes to go 20 miles in the mornings......The freakin Loop is driving me crazy. There are days I go 5-10 miles in only 1st gear :evil:
  17. Offline

zhentipede Guest

Message Count:
    real los angeles lol beside glendale
  18. Offline

zhentipede Guest

Message Count:
    i am probably 5 miles from downtown but it will take umnnnn 15 - 25 minutes

but man i like the city life o well... it's not too bad at night....

but now that im an old fart i have to find work less than 8 miles atleast
  19. Offline

cool_beans00 New Member

Message Count:
    zhentipede
    I totally feel you man. I live in westwood. And I work in El Segundo. That little 12 mile strech on the 405 between the 10 and 105 is a PAIN. That's the only time I wish my rolla was an automatic =\

But I have my fun at night. You LA guys go drive muholland drive yet? I highly recommend it
  20. Offline

zhentipede Guest

Message Count:
    muholland.. man the neighborhood watch would totally

creep me out hehehe im not used to wealthy areas.... :wink:

just being honest here.....

but i do work in the border of beverly hills lol....
  21. Offline

civic4982 Guest

Message Count:
    how much did you get your corolla S for? I'm looking for one right now. PM me if you get a chance thanks :)
  22. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    i cant believe y'all think the corolla handles that bad. the car i had before my corolla was a 95 buick so i know bad handling. this car handles a lot better than yall migh think, especially after u've seen some of the crazy things i've done in it and i haven't even started working on the suspension :D
  23. Offline

jdmmarkii Guest

Message Count:
    the altezza is nice, too bad you had to give it up. but toyota has a huge parts selection of trd parts in japan. imo the altezza is a lot better than we ones we get here as the IS300. there are thinks that they have we will never get on our toys or lex.