1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine New Castrol Edge

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by |-Goku-|, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Offline

|-Goku-| Super Saiyan

Message Count:
    New Castrol Edge

Hey Everyone,
    I normally use Castrol GTX for all my oil changes. With this new Castrol Edge Product. Is Castrol Edge that much better? I am going to do an Oil change here in a few months and wanted to get everyones take on it.

Thanks,

|-Goku-|
  2. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I use mobile1 full synthetic so I couldn't tell you. But I have 80K and burn less than 1/8 qt per 5000 :D
  3. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    I used to use Mobil1 fully synthetic extedned life until I realized Royal Purple was only like a dollar or two more per quart. Since then only Royal Purple. Good stuff :)
  4. Offline

MstwntdFlip Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    what is the overall best oil out there, that increase performance ad mileage, wondering too cuz im goin for an oil change soon
  5. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    Well if you go with a thicker oil, you will lose gas mielage because it increases the friction in the pistons. But it will not break down as easily. It also depends where you live. I live in FL, and you can't put anything less than 10W-30 because the heat will break down the oil faster. I put 10W40 in my girlfriends Hyundai because she usually goes through alot of oil.
  6. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.
  7. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Royal Purple with Synerlec.
  8. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    royal purple 5w40 euro spec lol ftw 40 weight becuase my car makes the oil disappear
  9. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The recommended viscosity for my engine is 15w50
  10. Offline

|-Goku-| Super Saiyan

Message Count:
    Well I'm not switching from Castrol, So I would like to know if anyone knows about the new Castrol Edge
  11. Offline

Gerson Back with another AE101

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    92 Lexus ES300; 95 AE101 Corolla
    Not sure about how good castrol edge is compared 2 other brands. I use Genuine Toyota 10w30 motor oil on my Corolla every 3k. Despite the 244k miles on the original motor, it works great.
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Castrol doesn't make a true category 5 synthetic oil. It's just a category 4 labeled and sold as 5. Mobil 1 and Royal Purple are pure category 5 oils. I used to be a Castrol guy too until I learned the truth.
  13. Offline

asn13oy Stepping Stones

Message Count:
    Been using Amsoil 5W-30 for years now. It's a little on the pricey side but I usually change every 4-5,000 miles. My engine has 85,000+ miles and runs like a champ!

From a quick, 5-minute, search I've found that Amsoil uses PAO's (Group IV) as their base for their synthetics. They also include some Group V esters to formulate their additives.

From a longer, 30-minute, search I've discovered the following:

Castrol EDGE claims to include PAO's (Group IV) in their "proprietary combination of base oils". The EDGE container reads "FULL SYNTHETIC", which means it should only have Group IV & V oils (Group III & below use mineral oils). Mobil1 has similar claims.

There are no claims of anything synthetic for Castrol's GTX, which I assume means it is Group III based (highly refined mineral oils). So you'd be going a step up by switching from GTX to EDGE.

Regular Royal Purple is NOT Full Synthetic. They say they can charge as much as a Full Syn oil b/c of their Synerlec technology which leaves a "film" of lubrication. Royal Purple does have a Full Synthetic oil, but it is meant for racing and does not have the additives necessary for prolonged use in a street car.

On a side note: Reading Castrol's MSDS sheets, I found their oils are manufactured by BP (parent company of Arco Gas Stations)...I learn something new every day.
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    That's new information. I'll have to dig around some more. The synerlec in Royal Purple really is revolutionary though. It makes the oil very durable.
  15. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    Too bad we don't get this stuff north of the border.

Looking at the specs, it seems to be similar in makeup to German Castrol Syntec 0w30 (PAO-based), maybe just rebranded?
  16. Offline

Graphiterolla Member

Message Count:
    I use the Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30 in my corolla with Royal Purple in the tranny. I use the Mobli 1 0w20 in my Scion TC and the Castrol GTX in my Accord.

I was wondering how good the new edge is too. Its only a 1.50 more than the mobil 1 but I wanted to find some reviews about it before switching over.
  17. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Mobil 1 synthetic 0W-40 for me
  18. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    is the castrol edge vw/audi approved?