1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine New 2004 Corolla XRS

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by tom, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    New 2004 Corolla XRS

Just found out that Corolla is getting an upgrade this Spring. It is still powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine that can produce 170 horsepower and 127 lb torque. Obviously, the engine will deliver better midrange torque than versions of the 2ZZ engine found in Celica GTS and Matrix XRS models. It still has the VVTL-i variable valve timing and lift system that switches the cam profiles at 6000 rpm, as well as the high 7800-rpm redline. The XRS is expected to clock sub-eight-second 0-to-60 runs

Under the XRS, there is a sport-tuned suspension with a front connecting-rod damper, increased-rate coil springs and shocks, and a half-inch-lower ride height. Sixteen-inch aluminum alloy wheels and Michelin performance tires are standard. Steering is upgraded by a more rigid steering column and a power steering rack specially developed for the XRS. It is all sporty on the inside and has unique badging. That's pretty good upgrade to what we have now with an extra 40 hp increase.
    [/img][/url][/list]
  2. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Yup, the XRS was announced at the SEMA show on November 5th
  3. Offline

Sasuke Guest

Message Count:
    how much u think it will cost....... if not alot i might trade in my 03 type S for it
  4. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    I'm guessing that the base will be around $18k. By the time any options are added, tax, title.... yada yada yada, it'll push the sticker well beyond $20k.
  5. Offline

lostboy New Member

Message Count:
    that would suck cuz you'll be able to get the tc s/c for less ... i think it'll be expensive though ... and since they aren't changing the leg room and chairs it'lll still be uncomfortable... no?
  6. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    It's hard to compete with the newer cars these days. They are just getting better and better. I've traded my car in too often and became upside down on my payments. Despite the 04 XRS Corolla's increase in performance, I will just stick with the 03 and add a supercharger later on down the road. I had my eye on the Lexus IS series. Its got an agressive look and has straight 6 for added power.
  7. Offline

DaChozn Guest

Message Count:
    Just a minor correction.... the chairs for the XRS are not the same as our cars. It will come with new seats.
  8. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    when 05/06 hits i want to see someone drop a camry motor in there 03 :p or a 500hp 1zz motor
  9. Offline

Sasuke Guest

Message Count:
    Hhahah You Might see Me with that motor if i still ahve my corolla then and the money to do it/
  10. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    I was told by the torrance office here in Cali its gonna cost $19265 after I had my interview with the Manager of operations :D
  11. Offline

MrDisco99 Guest

Message Count:
    Well, you could supercharge the base Corolla for less, but the XRS is more than that. Don't forget lower springs and strut brace as well as 16" wheels, wider performance-grade tires, and 4-wheel anti-lock disc brakes. I think those enhancements are just as important as the engine.
  12. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    True, and aftermarket parts are going to be much more abundent on this model rather than the 03/04 as far as performance is concerned. One good thing though, this car will open up a lot more for our cars, since its still pretty similar.
  13. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Ya thats always a good thing. More fun for us.
  14. Offline

Sasuke Guest

Message Count:
    damn wtf toyota doing keep on making new damn cars the 03was the last model now the xrs comming this year thats like what juss a year and a new model what they need to do is making parts and upgrade for their car and sell it for cheap!
  15. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Supercharging will be tougher than it sounds... increased compression, a "squarer" bore and stroke (leading to higher rpm's) may have a detonating effect with a S/C installed - unless the timing were advanced far enough, but that could have negatives as well.
  16. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    i don't even know why there making the XRS the corolla has a horrible weight ratio. 80/20 come on what kind of balance is that.
  17. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Is there any news that hasn't been out for 3 months? I'm really getting bored waiting for this car. They need some new pictures of like the instruments, or something...
  18. Offline

js10coastr Guest

Message Count:
    60/40 actually...and that's on par for front engined cars.
  19. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    60/40 :shock:

hehe i thought it was less in the back well well how nice 8)
  20. Offline

KingKuei Guest

Message Count:
    confirmed. 60/40 is the weight ratio. 80/20 would be dangerously treacherous.

Besides, don't the LanEVOs have 60/40 weight dist. too? I always thought 50/50 was ideal, but I've heard quite a few drifters prefer 60/40 with RWD. Shrug.
  21. Offline

js10coastr Guest

Message Count:
    50/50 is best for getting around the track the fastest.

Drifters will go 60/40 because they want the front to hook up with the pavement, while taking some weight off of the rear so that the rear tires are free to break loose.
  22. Offline

MrDisco99 Guest

Message Count:
    I still want to know what size/type tires come stock on this thing.
  23. Offline

Sasuke Guest

Message Count:
    isnt the xrs have fwd too? r rwd?
  24. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    The xrs is FWD. It has 16" rims (I think the ones from the matrix xr) and the High res pictures showed Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP's. However, the news release in november said "Michelin Performance Tires" so :?:
  25. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    well i am sure the celica gt-s and gt didn't exactly come out at the same time.
  26. Offline

js10coastr Guest

Message Count:
    the GT and GT-S came out at the same time...well same year. They didn't come out of the production line simultaneously.

The Corolla XRS was brought about because the Corolla S and the matrix XRS received a good reception. Toyota decided that there is a market for high(er) performance compact cars.
  27. Offline

Sasuke Guest

Message Count:
    Man well I think toyota was dumb making a Corolla type S same as the other corollas for exception of the freaking add on lips. I mean they should of made the S as the XRS.. But i guess this way they can make more money off from us comsumers. but still i think they're stupid tho .

28. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    as far as i see it, forget the 04 Corolla then. My 03 will smoke the 04 hands down. Screw their performance tires and suspension, I got my own added on that's just as good or better than the XRS. I was also frustrated that TOyota came out with a new model so fast, which is why I'm flaming the crap out of the 04 XRS Corolla. Besides, Ithe 03 looks better than the 04. Just wait till I get the supercharger on....we'll see whose faster.
  29. Offline

Crazyness Guest

Message Count:
    The XRS sucks hell.... it doenst really have any torque.. and only 170Hp... a supercharged 03 would kick his ass like nothing.
  30. Offline

js10coastr Guest

Message Count:
    The more I think about it...I'm not to sure about it. I mean, the 2zz has a larger power band even though it has less torque, so in turn you can have lower gear ratios on the Xrs. The weight of the supercharger and rotating mass can't be neglected. As for the suspension and tires, you'd have to be an engineer with a lot of experience in suspension to knock off the setup that Toyota developed. The Xrs also has a quicker steering rack. Finally, 4 wheel disc brakes on the Xrs....that'll stop the car in a hurry.