1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine My tranny!!!

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by CorollaGT, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    My FRUSTRATION

Okay so my 98 corolla has been having some horrible electrical problems. For some strange reason i keep blowing the DTRL relay that is located over the glove box. But, anyways it blew again today and, as usual, it caused my car to shut of and go crazy (electrically). In frustration i set my car in park BUT, i was still moving going about 4mph. The car made some weird creaking sounds and then i slammed the breaks. i put it into gear and it clunked again but it seemed to be okay, it goes thru the gears alright (i think). i didnt get much of a chance to drive it since i was worried about my headlights working. Does anyone know if these transmissions have a setting that saves the tranny when FUCKTARDS like me put them into park while they are still moving?
    Also does anyone know what might be causing my electrical problems..
    the only think breaking is the DTRL relay
    the symptoms are;
    blowing realy
    car turns off when i turn my headlights on
    car starts to die or turn off when i turn on my turn signals

Pretty much something along the lines of that.
  2. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Dying alternator?
  3. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    +1
  4. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    +2 and also double check your wiring. see if any parts are exposed from being chewed by little critters and stuff..
  5. Offline

bennyboi9 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    your thread title was very, very misleading.
  6. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Yes. Very. "My Frustration" more like it.

Do as DrunkSaru said. The main thing to look for are the connections to the alternator. You can also use a voltmeter to check on the condition of the alternator.
  7. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    As for the transaxle, yes, there is a mechanism there to protect from the accidental shifting at speed into park. But since the speed was low enough, hard to say for sure. Since you were able to shift out of park into gear - probably OK.

Agree with the others that you should have the alternator atleast tested, if anything to rule that out. Since you've isolated the events that cause the relay to blow seeming tied to turning on the lights - sounds like you definitely have a short somewhere there. Need to trace the wires back and double check that they are OK.
  8. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    Thanks so much guys. im pretty sure its not the alternator but ill keep that in mind. but i am pretty sure that it might be a frayed wire. there are some spots in the motor bay that are sharp and my cut wires. ill check those out cuz i think that might be the problem. as for the transmission please keep the info coming and the advise and 2 cents as well. any, and i mean ANY info helps at this time.
  9. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    tranny - make sure your tranny fluid is good and you have enough of it inside. depending on how many miles you have on your car and when you changed your tranny oil, may want to consider changing the oil as well if you haven't done so already.
  10. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    yeah i know, i change the oil every 3k to keep the engine running flawlessly and i change the transmission oil every 50k it feels like i gain a good 15hp when i change each. just sayin.

Also as a follow up i re did all the wiring in the engine bay. so far everything is working properly. no more burnt relays. also i found a few spots where it might have been shorting so i covered all those spots up and grinded down all the sharp edges to prevent from happening again.. hopefully that does it. knock on wood
  11. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    Relay had to be blowing due to a short. You were probably drawing too much current through it and were burning it out.
  12. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    well i would understand if i was causing the problem, but i wasnt hauling any current thru it. most people said the same thing cuz i had connected so many new things to my car like fog lights and ect.. but when i showed them the schematics and how i had connected everything they said that i just had to be a short somewhere. i agree. but im still waiting to see if the problem surges again.
  13. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Maybe its all the halos you have hooked up?
  14. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    I only have two hooked up. Im pretty sure i didnt have halos during winter break which was the first time the problem occured. also im sure its not the halos because the short happens when i turn on the blinkers, but the halos are connected to the parking lights.they are two different wires.

But thanks guys, i really appreciate all the feed back.l it helps me eliminate things which may lead me to the problem if i havent yet already fixed it.