1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

My mad tyte JDM drifting accident yo

Discussion in 'Race Track' started by Goldy, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    OK, here's the thread.

I spent a lot of time and money replacing the suspension on my car so that it would corner flat out and be real stiff. Wonderful, great. Then I ditched the car and started biking to work again (I lost interest in the car, and the biking was taking up a lot of extra time, plus needing more sleep, etc... so that's why I wasn't on here).

Anyways, so I wasn't driving anymore, but then it's supposed to rain on Wednesday, and I'm tired, so I drive in. Woot. When I leave work to go home, it's like this.

1. It's not raining anymore, but it had just finished raining.
    2. Start car, put in manual mode (stupid), disable traction control (stupid)
    3. Drive through the city fine.... approach the final intersection/turn before the highway.
    4. Figure, "let's have some fun and pull a drift around the last turn" (OK I wasn't intending to drift, but stupid anyway)
    5. Drop the car into 3rd gear with the paddle shifters, hit the left turn onto the highway nice and slow. But the road is wetter than anticipated, and I'm not used to the suspension, and I accelerate too hard at the end of the turn.
    6. Back wheels swing wide, towards the outside. There are 2 lanes of traffic turning left, and I'm in the outside lane, and suddenly I'm about to crash into the other lane of traffic
    7. Overcorrect with steering and throttle
    8. Violently spin the opposite direction
    9. Crash into wall facing the wrong direction. F***
    10. After a minute (I'm not dead), I slowly go the wrong way down the road and turn left, cross lightrail tracks, the back bumper comes off (it was dragging).
    11. Get out, happy to see my quarter panel is not smashed.... pic up the bumper, take off the lip, put the lip in the trunk and the bumper in the back seat.
    12. drive home like nothing happened lol.
    Here's the left turn.... you can see these cars are in 2 lanes making the left... I was in the outer lane. So, I spun counter-clockwise at first, pointing into the median, and then spun clockwise into the wall.

wall.jpg

The hit was very very hard for sure, but fortunately, the airbags didn't go off and no windows broke. The damage is all cosmetic, the mechanics are still 100%. So the car drives normally, just looks broken.

Onto my pics.

So the rear bumper & styrofoam was ripped off (I took off the lip myself, it was still attached fine). Since the wall was shaped like a median jersey barrier, it was wider at the bottom. So that's where most of the damage is. The car then hit the upper part of the wall, but not as hard. The tail light is destroyed, and there are little dents above the tail light. The trunk is dented in the lower corner and all out of alignment. See the vent flap thing? It's not supposed to be all distorted like that. And the black tray piece underneath is supposed to be flat, not bent in half:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Here, you can see the trunk is wack, the tail light was shoved into the car, and the bumper bar is bent on the end. Take a look at that flap door thing.... the top of it shows the original alignment, the bottom shows how it was pushed in. That's supposed to be a square corner down there:

[IMG]

Compare it to this corner. The trunk was even more messed up on this side. And, it's hard to tell, but this tail light was pulled off closest to the wheel and will not fit properly anymore:

[IMG]

Here you can see the damage on the bottom left compared to the bottom right. Either the trunk is shifted left, or the entire back of the car is shifted right:

[IMG]

A close up of the tail light. Not only was the lens obliterated, but the impact crushed the light enough to break the housing itself in half. As a result, the black chrome finish through out the entire assembly has come off in spidery veins (hard to get a pic of). The trunk contour doesn't match the tail light anymore. The quarter panel above the tail lights is dented. The areas of cleaner-looking bluer paint under the tail light is where paint came off and metal crumpled:

[IMG]

This is where it really got hit. It's shoved in a few inches:

[IMG]

From underneath after removing the black splash panel, you can see the crumple zones:

[IMG]

I found that the inside the trunk is shorter now.... the flooring doesn't fit anymore. After removing all of the carpeting, you can see why the trunk is smaller. That busted opening is where the door flap thing was. Oh, and just under the opening, you can see it is full of water. I have no clue how that got there:

[IMG]

Here's the bumper.... obliterated! The sidemarker broke as well (and burned out lol:(

[IMG]

More ouch... the wires to the sidemarkers WERE taped to the bumper. The wires were smashed through on this side, and they ripped out of the other sidemarker when the bumper came off:

[IMG]

I love polyurethane!! Unbelievable! This is the lip (upside-down), and this is what his the hardest. It's still 100% intact, only some surface scratches!

[IMG]

Here's the back of the lip.... completely unharmed! Just imagine... ABS or fiberglass, and this lip would have been in a million pieces all over the road:

[IMG]

I started fixing it up..... I'm gonna get a new body kit and tail lights, and patch up the dents and whatnot. I've cleaned up the crumple zones and primered them so they don't leak. I got the trunk to close a lot better, but it's never gonna be 100%. It still doesn't fit quite right, as I had to shift it over some, and modify the latch to work.

The tail lights though, I'm still using them, but I'm afraid that new ones aren't going to fit any better. We'll see. The bumper, I put it back together, used some zipties, and repainted it blue. I'll reinstall it after I go back to the crash scene to find some missing brackets lol.

That's all for now, thanks. I'm unsure what to do, other than just patch it up and put it back the way it was. I was not happy with the way the back looked anyway, so I'm looking into new options. But for now, the car is still great fun to drive (while I bike to work lol).
  2. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Sucks man, but on a positive note how hilarious would it be to see a traffic cam
    Video of the crash? That would be epic. Did you feel pretty silly afterwards? Xd xd d
  3. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    You know, I bet there is a video of it somewhere... there are cameras everywhere. I'd like to see it for sure, that'd be awesome! lol.

Yeah I felt completely stupid afterwards. Especially since my first thought was that the car was totaled. It still might be too far gone, but I'm gonna try and salvage it.
  4. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Well as long as it drives straight and it's only cosmetic....
  5. Offline

crolla "Wait did I just lose to a corolla?"

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    ZZE110
    I actually know exactly that happened. But your okay so the car is the least
  6. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
    wtf gold....why?

anyways the way i would fix this if the car rolled into the auto collision class, we would use one of those dent pullers that you weld a little piece onto the damage and pull...leaves good results.

and ill pay for shipping if you give me your taillights...i want to do a little project that i have up my sleeves...
  7. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    You mean you can pull out those crumples? I'm gonna have to see what happens when I get new parts.

Why you want the tail lights? The one is completely unuseable... you can't even use them to do a rear-end conversion test, as the lights are bent/cracked out of shape. Although I'm still using them, they light up fine, until I can get new lights.
  8. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
    stud welder and puller

its a good tool, about $200 if you buy a good one...i saw a video on youtube that some guy had a fucked up radiator support and fixed it with that...you can also use a hammer and dolly
  9. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I like how you blurred out the license plate but didn't do it in the sig pic lol.
    Oh and crappy job on the debadge of the trunk yo.
  10. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    lol, thanks for pointing that out. I usually start out with one of my previous pics and turn it into a sig, but not this time.

And with the debadge.... turns out some previous owner had the trunk re-cleared with the emblems still on, so take off the emblems, and you can see the old clear coat. Usually it isn't so obvious (when it's clean).
  11. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    OK, I'm pretty set on a plan.

These tail lights, fenders, and rear bumper.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Another of the rear bumper and (smoked) tail lights

[IMG]

And yeah, I just bought the bumper.
  12. Offline

Press22 Mangoooooooooooo

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E28 1JZ, E36 M3
    I disapprove of the fender. Bumper is good, tail lights are good.
    Are there fenders that come with just a side marker and no scoop? lol
  13. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    well, I can just stick any old sidemarkers on any old fenders :p

but my current fender on one side is pretty beat up.... and those fenders are actually 15mm widebody
  14. Offline

Press22 Mangoooooooooooo

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E28 1JZ, E36 M3
    You wanna do it yourself and end up like Mack? LOL
  15. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    HEEEELLLLLLNOOOOOOOO!!! :eek:
    HummerH2O likes this.
  16. Offline

Press22 Mangoooooooooooo

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E28 1JZ, E36 M3
    By the way if those wheels are the real Work ones on that White IS, those are my favorite rims.
  17. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    hmm, really? I can't decide which wheels I like best lol (not mine though).
  18. Offline

Press22 Mangoooooooooooo

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E28 1JZ, E36 M3
  19. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    Hmm, well I can't tell any difference lol.
  20. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    ZZE110, MA70, JZA70, AE92 GT-S x2, xB with a rollcage, 900 ft-lb Dodge Ram
    Diggin the taillights plan :)
  21. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Fuck you press.

And gold I like the fenders IF you forever rock the CF hood.
  22. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    I dont like the fenders either, but i do approve of the rear bumper.
  23. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    lol, the guys who don't like the hood don't like the fenders, and then those who like the hood like the fenders. Which is exactly what I expected. And since I've got the hood installed......... but that's later. I'm gonna work my way from back to forward. I need to order the tail lights next.
  24. Offline

Press22 Mangoooooooooooo

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E28 1JZ, E36 M3
    Mack probably doesn't like the fenders either but just said that to guarantee you keep the hood since you like the hood.
  25. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Slightly but I really do like them if they had real vents... they look fake.
  26. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    The fender vents? They are definitely real LOL. No cheap ricey junk there.

[IMG]
  27. Offline

Press22 Mangoooooooooooo

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E28 1JZ, E36 M3
    You already have hood vents stop adding more. lol
    Then you're gonna want rear bumper vents like the honda civic owners...
  28. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    Like I said, these are widebody fenders, which I kinda need for the spacers, and mine are currently beat up from my poor fender hacks.
  29. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
    chicken wire=fake=ricey
  30. Offline

Press22 Mangoooooooooooo

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E28 1JZ, E36 M3
    Where'd you buy the bumper from? Link?