1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine My car is KIA

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by whydontyouchoos, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Offline

whydontyouchoos KFM

Message Count:
    My car is KIA

i noticed my engine knocking after getting my oil changed, i tried higher octane, fuel treatment, and changing the oil a second time within 5 days...

still the knocking continued so i took it to a shop thinking its either a misplaced or broken valve spring or the cylinder head... ends up its coming from the lower end, so its either the crank or main bearing and that will be too much to fix might as well get a new engine or new car. I was thinking of putting in the 1ZZ from the 03-05 does everything match up except the intake and exhaust manifold from the 00-02 1ZZ?
  2. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    I think plu said that he used the new intake manifold and throttle body, but he used his old exhaust manifold. Since you have vvti I don't think there is any difference in wiring.
  3. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    he does have vvti
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    That's what I said. I was saying that I know there is a wiring difference between the non-vvti and vvti engines. But I don't know if there is wiring difference between 8th gen vvti and early 9th gen vvti. I don't think so, but I'm not sure.
  5. Offline

whydontyouchoos KFM

Message Count:
    Ok since i have had to deal with my car and was trying to save for a new car, i have a few options since i have to get another car sooner than i wanted...

04 Matrix XRS 100K miles
    05 Scion tC 96K miles
    03 Civic Si 77K miles
  6. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    boo for over 50-60k mileage..
  7. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    holy crap... and I thought my 98 with 115K was driven around too much
  8. Offline

whydontyouchoos KFM

Message Count:
    im sorry, but since my car needs to be replaced, i have to open up my options since i wasnt planning on getting a car until winter or next summer...

these 3 are cars that i would enjoy driving and can AFFORD at the moment
  9. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    go for the lowest mileage dude :)

the civic
  10. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    the matris is plain abused, Civic, somewhat the Tc
  11. Offline

whydontyouchoos KFM

Message Count:
    i was thinking the Si, but i really want a 4 door, im going to continue seaching maybe ill even travel out of state to find one
  12. Offline

Graphiterolla Member

Message Count:
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    I would get the SI. The only thing is you have to be careful and get a lo-jack. I know someone that his SI was almost stolen twice and the third time was a charm. He then got a new TL, sweet
  14. Offline

conesweeper New Member

Message Count:
    I'd get the tc. IMO that generation Si is the ugliest.

How many miles do you have on your Corolla? Why not just swap in a 2ZZ? :D
  15. Offline

whydontyouchoos KFM

Message Count:
    dont want to have to find a 2ZZ and tranny, i found a engine form an 03 corolla that im putting in has 68K miles on the engine
  16. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    What oil filter did you use with that initial oil change? Did you use the same kind the second time around? Used the correct oil weight and verified the sump was full?

Just wondering - very possible that the motor is fine. As a neighbor's car (Maxima) was doding the same thing - he did his first oil change. Used a Fram filter (POS filter now, used to be pretty good). Changed the filter with another Fram - sounded like rod knock. I helped him this time around and replaced it with an OEM Nissan one, no more knocking. Something with the previous filter prevented proper oil flow. Cutting it open didn't reveal anything out of the ordinary. Only thing I did differently, was that I prefilled the oil filter first - he didn't. But that would only explain potential knocking for several seconds at most, until the dry filter completely fills up with oil.

Also, a 2ZZ-GE with 100K miles is nothing - assuming the original owner changed the oil on a regular basis and used premium fuel. That can be said with most any car that is well maintained. I have 105K on my Matrix XRS - and I run the snot out of it. There are several 2003 Matrix XRS owners with over 200K miles and still running strong. One guy on TN has one with over 300K miles.

But if the rest of your car is in good shape and/or if you are really attached to the car - a rebuild or engine swap could be the most economical solution. The other choices are probably more exciting to drive - all up to you.
  17. Offline

whydontyouchoos KFM

Message Count:
    it was more economical for me to do the engine swap at the moment. its from an 03 corolla has 68K on it, my dads friend is doing it for me for a decent price
  18. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:

i heard about the oil filter problem when my car first started acting up...and it helped for a little while. all i use are toyota OEM filters...i picked up a box of 25 when i worked at the dealership and still have some. but this fix was only temporary for me...it only postponed the inevitable.
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    That's good to know about the oil filter. How much are the oem filters? What other filters are good? Purolator, ACDelco, etc.
  20. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    im not sure how much they go for retail...maybe like $3.50? I think k&n makes a good oil filter.
  21. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    I've seen prices for for Toyota OEM run from as high as $8.50 to as low as $3.50. I picked up a block of filters (10-pack) for $3.50 at my local dealership - the invoice noted $5.49 is retail, $3.50 was the "cash" price.

Puralotors are pretty good filters, WIX and NAPA are two others that are also pretty good - prices vary, but you can get them for around $5ish or less. Sometimes I'll see promos on Puralators for 2 for $5 - jump on those every time. Mobil 1 filters are pretty good, but pricey, unless you get them on sale or promotion - something like $10-$15 each retail around here.

In general - pretty much any filter will do the job for a short oil change interval. The only one that I've had experience that didn't fall under this rule (even for 3K mile oil change interval) - was the Fram filter:

Fram - 2 were bad on the Camry I had (filter completely collapsed internally) + neightbors, friends, co-workers getting ones with spotty build quality. Too bad, because I used Fram exclusively for years on my domestics and classic builds (PH8A filter - look it up, its a huge filter). First time I used it on the Camry - filter collapsed. I figured because it was the "tough-guard" version. Used a regular Fram - 3000 miles later, did the exact same thing. Never touched them since.

Good info on this site - the person took time to cut open popular makes of filters and see how they are constructed. Also lists who-makes who - some of which is surprising.
    http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html