1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine My 04 intake question

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by 1.8greyghost, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Offline

1.8greyghost Guest

Message Count:
    My 04 intake question

Ok, tax time I am going S/C'd. I want to do EVERYTHING TRD. Mainly because of the warentee. This next month I am going to start getting my parts through the local dealler. (Which turns out is cheaper than the net) I was wanting to get the TRD intake, But Logic and other sites say you can't use the TRD intake with the Supercharger. I was thinking the altered mounting points would make it hard to fit or not fit at all, but if there is a way I would like to use it. So guys, Does it fit with the TRD S/Cer or if I am going S/C'd would it just be a waste of 250 dollars to get it now and not be able to use it later?
  2. Offline

nikeair11 Guest

Message Count:
    As far as I know, cold air intakes aren't really suited for S/C cars because of the length of the pipe and time it takes for air to reach the engine. A short-ram obviously would mean less distance for the air to travel. I'm not 100% on this so if someone knows better, please feel free to correct me.

If the warranty issue really bothers you, you can always stick with the stock intake but switch to a TRD or and Air Hog air filter. Also, the stock airbox isn't difficult to remove and put back in, so why not go with your intake of choice and just put your OEM airbox when it's time for warranty service?
  3. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    Some people have use the trd CAI with there superchargers on 2003corolla.org and said it was fine. Other's have also had problems with that same setup. The trd CAI is the only one that physically fits in the engine bay with the supercharger. AEM etc. won't fit properly
  4. Offline

nikeair11 Guest

Message Count:
    Just as an FYI, Rothy Ly's 03 Corolla, the one that was featured in Import Racer magazine, is fitted with a TRD S/C and an AEM SRI. I know it's a short-ram and not a cold-air, but still....
  5. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    The TRD CAI is the the only CAI that fits w/ the TRD supercharger. But if you're worried about warranty, dont use any CAI as that voids the supercharger/powertrain warranty......................Or just put your stock airbox back on when you need service.
  6. Offline

TRD04 Guest

Message Count:
    Is there much diffrence having the stock intake to the CAI?
  7. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    Well according to everyone that has had both w/ the s/c.......the CAI yields noticeable gains over the TRD filter.
  8. Offline

TRD04 Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks, I already ordered the S/C from my local dealer. I got mines for 2100. They did mention to me that they have an "install kit" that costs about 1000 that is needed. :confused: :confused: Is this true? I have seen an install kit at TRD.com but it doesnt have any details. I already have someone install it for me for 500. Is it difficult to install?
  9. Offline

nikeair11 Guest

Message Count:
    Isn't the TRD ECU included in the "install kit?"

10. Offline

TRD04 Guest

Message Count:
    I thought that the ECU already came with the Supercharger!?!?!? If it didnt, someone let me know please so that I can cancel my order and see if I can work a deal with everything included.
  11. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    it doesn't come with the install kit. trd sells the supercharger and the install kit seperately. the install kit has the supplementary ecu. you need that. make sure you get the correct year's install kit for your car
  12. Offline

TRD04 Guest

Message Count:
    what about all those people that bought s/c before this "install kit" was ever mentioned! what are they using? How did it come packaged? I need to know, and soon!!! Also, is this supp. ECU disengage the speed limiter? Thats a big concern to me. I would hate to get the s/c and then run into the 113mph all the time.
  13. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    the first run of TRD superchargers included the TRD ECU w/ it........then the 04 corollas came out, and they had a different fuel map than the 03's. the supercharger would not work w/ the 04 models. TRD developed a new ECU to work w/ the 04 models. Now TRD sells the main supercharger assembly and the ECU's separately. So you will need to buy the ECU for your year. 2100 is way overpriced for the supercharger assembly. It should run about 1700-1800 and the ECU should run you a little over 800

look at www.partznet.com
  14. Offline

TRD04 Guest

Message Count:
    Nate, ure the best!!! :)!! Now, will the supp. ecu change my speed limiter? or would i have to go with something like unichip?