1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Mtec Xexon HID Bulbs

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by alpha-vvti, May 29, 2003.

1. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    Mtec Xexon HID Bulbs

Ok these Mtec 9006 Xexon HID bulbs are consuming 80W > 150W
    if i use these on my Rolla, is it gonna burn down my whole relay since the watt is much greater than normal (55W)
    or if i were to use these, i should get the kit from Jae or Stimky huh
  2. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    that is absolutly correct. the only way you will be safe is if you get the stock 55w bulbs. but then there is no real point of getting the aftermarket ones coz they will just look blue, and thats it.
  3. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Stinky you shock me! Send him to your Website and show him the harness!
  4. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
  5. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Shock me 'cause you didn't give him that URL! You've got a excellent site, advertise it!
  6. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I dont want ppl here to think I am trying to sell them something.

Of course I will sell anyone here things, but when I offer advise I want ppl to know its the truth and not just some sales pitch.
  7. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Good point.
  8. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    cool... honest businessman :)
    i reli dont mean not buyin the harass from u, but i would rather go with HID instead coz its brighter + less Watt is comsumed
    anyways thanks for info
  9. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    they are getting some pretty bright HID style bulbs now. I just bought some that are 5100K thats 600k brighter than the lowest HID system. They say that 4500k is the perfect amount of usable light, but that the 6,000k ones are a little more purple blue, and ppl seem to like that color.

If you got the cash to spend on a propper kit then thats for sure the way to go.
  10. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Stinky I thought those numbers (6000, 6500, etc) were color temperature, not amount of usable light?

I know in computer-speak color temperature is a measure of the white level as compared to some sort of metal or gas plasma that is heated to a certain degree (6000, 6500, etc.)
  11. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    that is correct. But also the light color detrimines the usable light. So where the 6000k ones are a bluer color they are not as much usuable light output. But they look brighter when staring straight on at them

So for actual use for what they are intended they find the 4500k ones are the best. But most ppl just want the look, so they get the 6000k or 8000k

While a 5000k bulb like what I have is still pretty much ALL white, and gives some very good light as well. Plus now that my DRL's are not on, my one set of $15 bulbs should last almost 1 full year. SO I will need to use these bulbs for 40 years to cost the same as the HID convertion kit.
  12. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Another new wrinkle in the brain! Thanks!
  13. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    what bulbs are u using stinky?
    any recommendation on the 5000k's?
    I am currently using the SilverStar low beams and happy with them
    thinking to get another set of white bulbs for the high beams
  14. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
  15. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
  16. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I have used those as well. the bulb life on those are rated at 200 hours. SO if you dont have your DRL's dissabled you are looking at 2 months max. That the same company that makes the XD5, just the fx ones are lower grade.

They are one of the best though.
  17. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Kelvin (K)

Interesting how people confuse Kelvin (color) with Lumen (output). Remember that the human eye has difficulty with colors above 6000K as the reflected wavelengths are often too short for the eye to interpret (HID-like halogen/xenon gas bulbs are often terrrible in night time rain storms). What everyone should be concerned about is the output (Lumen) rather than Kelvin (color). A 9006 bulb has an output around 1000-1200 lumens. Even if you increase the wattage to 80w (vs 51w for regular 9006) the usable light output may be the same after the light is filtered by the bulb coating. I would rather try to convert my lighting system to the real HID's then spending money on HID-like bulbs. I have E-code HID's on my S4 (3200 lumen) and the light spread and intensity is wonderful. I have spent many dollars trying to replicate the same output and look in my Jetta only to spend the big dollars for Euro e-code OEM HID's. I get about 1700 lumens from each bulb for my low (dipped) beams on my Corolla by converting a regular 9005 bulb to fit a 9006 socket. Cheaper and brighter than any 9006 HID-like bulb and it won't burn out a wiring harness.

Just my 0.02
  18. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Did you cut and splice a different socket on, modify the actual bulb base, or is there a adapter available?
  19. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    03ToyMan,

I modified a 9005 bulb base to fit the 9006 socket. It was cheap and the result is better light spread and intensity.
  20. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    That would make for a very interesting DIY..have access to a digital camera?
  21. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I can mabey do it for you guys later. Thats what I did as well. Cept I used a 100W HID style 9005 bulb in my 9006 harness. You just need to use a file on the bulb housing and then file the connetcor a little. Since I got the connectors at Canadian tire for $2 each it was no big deal to modify them.
  22. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
  23. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    But won't 9005 too bright for low beam? I mean 9005 doesn't have cap at the end and it's supposed to be used for high beam. I like to try it but I don't want my headlight hurting other drivers on the freeway, even causing accidents probably.

Also Siliverstar 9005 is rated 65 watts max, while Siliver 9006 is rated 55 watts for stock setup. Will stock relay handle the extra 10 watts?

Thank you.
  24. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I will guess that it can handle an extra 10 watts, That only translates to not even 1 extra Amp.