1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Motor wont stop

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by darkgamer1912, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    Motor wont stop

Hi everyone my dad got a 98 rolla and its been fine till today when the motor wouldnt shut off. we cant really figure out what is keeping it moving. When we take the key out everything else shuts off the fans and everything inside shuts off but the motor keeps going. the only way to stop it is to pull the EFI relay in the engine compartment. then it stops cuz im kill the injectors. i tried replacing that relay with my own from my 01 and same thing still wont die. any help would be nice
  2. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    WOw ... Thats a first ... good luck with that unless some how your fuel pump isnt shutting off thats the only reason I can think of :)
  3. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    check the ignition?
  4. Offline

Edwin562 SWAG MASTER

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    98 180sx
    yeah check if u got some sort of short or something... or a relay stuck open... idk i would start checkin all electrical then fuel...
  5. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    My accord diesels every so often. I have to let out the clutch to kill the car. But its carbureted with a million vaccum hoses that are 20 years old so something is probably leaking. Anyways im not really sure if fuel injected vehicles can do it. But definately let us know if you figure out the problem.
  6. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    yah i talked to my neighbor who is was a toyota mechanic for years he said there might be a short in the igintion so were gonna check it once it stops raining.
  7. Offline

Edwin562 SWAG MASTER

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    98 180sx
    keep updating
  8. Offline

irishricer New Member

Message Count:
    with diesels if the fule pump doesnt shut off it will keep on pumping and wont turn off,its a small solenoid in the pump that sticks open(or closed,dont remember) if its a petrol car id say its ignition fault
  9. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    if it's a manual you can always put it in gear, hold the brakes and drop the clutch
  10. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    nah its an automatic but i still havent had time to look at it with school and now thanksgiving so it will will have to wait till after friday
  11. Offline

Edwin562 SWAG MASTER

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    98 180sx
    idk but i have a strong feeling its something eletrical, like a solenoid is stuck open.. i would check all relays and solenoid if u can...