1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Motor Swap

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Salty_Dog, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Offline

Salty_Dog Old Fart

Message Count:
    Motor Swap

OK.

After much research and soul searching, I've decided to go with a motor swap rather than turboing. I figure in order to do a turbo right, I would have to rebuild the motor with stronger parts etc. and then the turbocharging itself would require lots of fabrication.

It's not like I need 10-gazillion horsepower or anything; I just want a little more oomph. And I don't want to loose the reliability of my stock motor.

So I'm going to go with a 2ZZ-GE to replace my 1ZZ-FE. I found a shop in my area who says they can do it. The biggest challenge will be the wiring and I think Dr. Tweak at Phoenix Tuning can help me out with that. I probably won't start this project until the fall, since the Rolla spends most of the winter months in the garage anyway.

So any thoughts anyone wants to contribute are welcome. I'll be posting the message in other forums as well. Thanks.
  2. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    remember that the 2zz-ge's power is mostly in the high end....

I'd go mild turbo on the 1zz for my money's worth

6psi~ should make the engine notch the 170~hp or a bit more

no BOV, no IC, maybe an additional injector, that's about it

and all you'd need would be an aftermarket ECU and a GOOD TUNE
  3. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:

I've been down this road before... if it was me, I would go with the 2az-fe. Dr. Tweak says he can do a 2az-fe swap. I think it's cheaper than a 2zzfe with useful torque to boot and stronger too for boost. Plus, it'll be unique.
  4. Offline

erickscorolla1999 Member

Message Count:
    +1 on the 2az-fe. Thats the motor that I was going to put on my 99 corolla. It is cheaper cost also a lot easier to find. The horsepower and torque are not bad as well. If I still decide to go with engine swap then I would still go with the 2az-fe. I seen some from wrecked TC for even 600 here in FL with 40,000 miles.
  5. Offline

SK149 Well-Known Member

Message Count:

i'd agree aswell a 2az-fe would be better money wise and you can boost it :) i really think that would be a better choice out the two. i'm going to motor swap a good year from now i wanted to go 2zz-ge aswell but it's expensive man!! i think 2az-fe would be better but i think i'm going to go silvertop :)
  6. Offline

Salty_Dog Old Fart

Message Count:
    What are the physical dimensions for the 2AZ-FE? Will it fit under the hood of an 8-gen Corolla?
  7. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    This is what I could find for the 2AZ-FE
    Not sure if that fits under our hoods though.
  8. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    hmm..2azfe sounds interesting.
    im look into this. my shop is gonna hate me. LOL
  9. Offline

SK149 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    this is what I heard
  10. Offline

erickscorolla1999 Member

Message Count:
    Yup. Its actually not bad at all and so many parts for this engine. Boosting will also be easy.
  11. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    im a NA guy but boost inst bad. lol
    now i wish had bought that motor from tc for $400
  12. Offline

erickscorolla1999 Member

Message Count:
    lol. Man 400 is not bad at all. Cheapest I found it was 600 but it was someone trying to get rid of it asap. But normally I see them 800+ which is still cheaper than the 2zz-ge.

Macktasticslick is correct on the specs for the 2az-fe of what i found online but check this out

2az-fe 626-mm (25-in) long, 608-mm (24-in) wide, and 681-mm (27-in) tall

1zz-fe 639 mm (25.2 in) long, 586 mm (23.1 in) wide, and 632 mm (24.9) tall

so if this information is right wouldnt that mean that it should drop right in the engine bay and just relocate mounts and adjust them. there is a 2.1 inch difference in height but I personally dont think its a huge deal but not 100% sure.
  13. Offline

Salty_Dog Old Fart

Message Count:
    OK. So the 2AZ-FE should fit in the engine bay. But what about things like drive shafts? Would the originals be Plug & Play or would they have to be customized as well?
  14. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    The orientation of the 2AZ-FE is already backwards from the 1ZZ-FE and the 2ZZ-GE - intake is on the rear and the exhaust is up front, like the A-series engines in the 7th gen Corollas. So I highly doubt you'll get away with some mounts and that will be it.

Is there any specs on weight on the engine? Engine CG? Sure the swap could work, but I think the 2ZZ-GE would make for less if a "headache" kind of swap. Plus the 2ZZ-GE typically takes to bolt-on mods better than the other engines. Cable throttle - no DBW, same overall layout, engine maturity - so there is known strong and weak points on the engine.

I think the key here is finding someone with enough experience to tackle this sort of swap. Unless the person doing the swap has already done a 1ZZ-FE to 2AZ-FE swap, I think it be less costly to your wallet to go the 2ZZ-GE swap. A mod friendly engine with lots of support. Good fuel economy if you stay out of lift (takes premium fuel though). IMO, if you go to the trouble of pumping it up to a 2.4L 2AZ-FE, might as well go all the way and drop in a 3.5L 2GR-FE.
  15. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    You bring up the fact that the engine is mounted with the intake in the back, so I'm gonna ask a silly question to those that are mechanically inclined: Why can't you just turn the engine around?
  16. Offline

erickscorolla1999 Member

Message Count:
    You think it would be less to swap a 2zz-ge other than 2az-fe. Only reason why I ask is because if it is then ama buy a 2zz-ge :) . The cheapest 2zz-ge i seen been close to 2000.00 I can find hundreds of 2az-fe for under 1000.00 meaning I can use that extra grand to spend on mods on the car. But I can be wrong. I also couldnt find the weight of the 2az-fe.

Im pretty sure that its going to be custom.
  17. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I like how almost everybody here starts a sentence with something like "I heard" or "I think":p

Toyota engines spins clockwise when looking at it directly from the belt side. With a transaxle mounted to it; clockwise = forward motion on all gears except the reverse gear. If you turn the engine around then the transaxle will turn the wheels counter-clockwise which mean you will get reverse on all gears except reverse gear.

It does not matter if the intake is in front on in back. All you have to do is route the downpipe towards the rear of the car.
  18. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
  19. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    "i think" im gonna do this swap also later this summer when its warm. lol
    :D
  20. Offline

erickscorolla1999 Member

Message Count:
    ^ Didn't you sell car or had another one that was gonna work on.
  21. Offline

Salty_Dog Old Fart

Message Count:
    So it sounds like sticking to Plan A and swapping in the 2ZZ is the way to go to keep headaches to a minimum. I figure even if the 2AZ is a bigger and badder engine, the 2ZZ still has more to offer than a 1ZZ and except for wiring, shouldn't be too difficult.

Edit: Has anyone actually done a 2AZ-FE swap-in on an 8-gen Corolla?
  22. Offline

erickscorolla1999 Member

Message Count:
    ^ How much can you get a 2ZZ-GE for ?
  23. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Salty, the only person you need to ask is Dr. Tweak. No one known has this done. Everyone else is speculating on what he said. Expect labor charges in the $2500- $4000 range though.
  24. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    I haven't seen a 2AZ-FE in an 8th gen swap yet. Though I can imagine that there will be some eventually, given the shear number of available donor vehicles that come with a 2AZ-FE engine.

Far more 2ZZ-GE and the ever popular 4AGE/3SGTE swaps in the 8th gen body than the 2AZ-FE that I've run across on the net.

Maybe ping on Dr. Tweak and get his opinion on it. MWR would also be a good ping on and get some feedback from.

Honestly - between the 2ZZ-GE and the 2AZ-FE - really on what you want from the engine. High revving, naturally aspirated goodness from the 2ZZ or bigger displacement torque from the 2AZ. Comparing our 2003 Matrix XRS vs a 2009 Matrix XRS - making sure that we handicapped the older one, as it was about 250lbs lighter than the newer one - it was no contest. 2ZZ spanked the 2AZ.

Personally, having "lift" sealed the deal for me on the 2ZZ. If I was in the mood for some torquey goodness - I just jumped in my BB Chevelle. Plus it was easy to dictate when you wanted power or not - just stay below lift, and it was more or less like the 1ZZ-FE. Want to pass some slower traffic, just drop down a gear or two and buzz on by them - so far (knock on wood) the 2ZZ has shown every bit the reliability that my 1ZZ has shown, but I know it was designed better from the start to cope with the stresses of being run in a more "spirted" manner.
  25. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    wait...so you have a built 1zzfe AND you want a 2az-fe?!
  26. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    yup. miss that car :(
    now its gone somewhere in Van nuys or LA..last time i saw it @ a small dealership
  27. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    The black rolla is gone now?
    /done thread jacking, answer in your thread jody
  28. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    k. lol..Sorry salty
  29. Offline

Salty_Dog Old Fart

Message Count:
    Is the 4AGE/3SGTE oriented properly for dropping in a 8-gen?
  30. Offline

SK149 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    This is the right info you need to read lol

Dr Tweak
    03-01-2006, 06:05 AM
    You guys need to stop spreading bad info. The 4AGE will swap into an 8th gen NO PROBLEM, the blacktop version is even OBDii so you can pass emissions if that's an issue in your state. The 1ZZ and 2ZZ engine is NOT reversed 180 degrees from the 4AGE, only the manfolds are in the opposite locations and the head flows the other way. The only thing "extra" that's needed is a custom exhaust which, guess what, you need anyway. Also, the 4AGE will bolt right into an 8th gen using the existing mounts, if anything there might be some very slight modification to do.

The 2ZZGE, on the other hand, is more difficult and WICKED expensive. And yes, I've swapped one into an 8th gen.

Wiring is a non-issue, just send the harnesses to me, $350 and a week later, you have a plug and play harness. :)

-Doc