1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

More about stereo installs

Discussion in 'Interior' started by bucrolla, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Offline

bucrolla Guest

Message Count:
    More about stereo installs

Can you remove the stock hu from behind the guages? I don't remember if you can, but it seems like it might be easier to get to that way.

Second, where do I hook up my 2 power wires? I know one goes to battery through fused line, but what about the second acc?

Third, where is a decent place to buy larger lengths of rca cables.

Finally, would any local shops carry a harness and mounting kit?
  2. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    Re: More about stereo installs

1) Yes, you can remove the stock HU.. there are instructions somewhere on this site.

2) The harness will take care of the power wires just the same as it will take care of the speaker wires

3) Crutchfield.com carries some good stuff, as does Best Buy. You should only need about 14' (at most) to reach the trunk, even less if you run it down the center.

4) Best Buy, Circuit City, and some Automotive stores carry dash kits and harnesses. Usually the ones that the sell look ugly though, I would shop around online for a kit that looks good.
  3. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    u can try sounddomain.com for dash kits and wire harnesses very affordable
  4. Offline

bucrolla Guest

Message Count:
    I just ended up grabbing them from a local stereo shop for about 30 bucks total. The dash kit looks good, its made by American International.
  5. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    That's the one I got : ).