1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine modding stock intake....

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by destca, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Offline

destca New Member

Message Count:
    modding stock intake....

does ne one know how to or has a diy to mod the stock intake to give a little more power then what its giving. i know that vamp has them on his site but i was wondering if there where ne more ways to mod it. and also what would be a good aftermarket drop in filter for the car. thanks :D
  2. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    K&N imo is best filter out there and the cheapest to maintain... stock airbox u can't really do much to it... i was thinkin abt getting stainless steel tubes to replace the stock rubber ones from throttle body to the stock airbox... another one is i guess u can cut another hole and route another pipe into the stock box to give it more air...
  3. Offline

destca New Member

Message Count:
    i remember some one said somthing about the K&N filters do something to ur maf due to the oil or what ever the K&N filters have on them. is this true?
  4. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    If you don't re-oil the K&N filter too much, you don't need to worry.
  5. Offline

ratsnrop New Member

Message Count:
    Well, how much is too much? And even if it get all over the MAF, will MAF cleaner work?
  6. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    the k&n oil doesnt do much other than tell you when you need to have the thing cleaned, which is when the coloring is changed. MAF cleaner, meaning cotton q-tip?
  7. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    you spray the oil in the filter until you get a faint pink, what's hard about that?
  8. Offline

ratsnrop New Member

Message Count:
    Acutally a friend of mine said that there is a product out there specifically to clean the MAF...
  9. Offline

corolla81386 New Member

Message Count:
    electronic parts cleaner
  10. Offline

locster703 New Member

Message Count:
    i modified my stock air filter its easy if u got a dremel i just cut and sanded until i just had the circle left where the sensors hookup i threw threw the stock air filter away because it wasnt nesessary after i cut the air box all up all i had left was a circle that i fitted a k and n filter on if u open your air filter box and look inside youll see where its a circle u just have to cut and sand the plastic until thats all thats left is just that circle then u gotta cut a hole in the side of the circle to attach a hose back up its easy the cutting of the stock air box is the hard part
  11. Offline

94 rolla Guest

Message Count:
    or you could go to your local auto shop ad grab a high-flow cone filter, then take your airbox out and put the filter where the pipe connected to the stock box. if there is a prblem with the MAS then just cut a little hole in some silicone or metalk tube and take the rubber fitter off the stock box. works sooooo much better than stock and looks much better
  12. Offline

cgreen38 Common sense, p

Message Count:
    I'm thinking about getting an AEM Dryflow filter. Uses no oil, so no chance of fouling filters that way. From what I understand, they only require water to clean. Maybe look into that if you get an SRI. Check eBay if you want a good cheap one. Mine (for my 98) cost me a total of $35 shipped.