1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Masking scratches on bumper ?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by walt77, May 26, 2003.

1. Offline

walt77 Guest

Message Count:
    Masking scratches on bumper ?

Is there a way to mask some scratches on the pastic bumper. I stopped in a Shopping mall yesterday and when I got back someone hitted my bumper and made some horribles white scratches on it...

Is there a miracle product for this ?

Should I get some paint from my dealer ?

Please advice...
  2. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    what color is ur car? anyways check the code on the side of your driver's door, it states on there
    then bring the code (for example: 8p4 for indigo ink pearl) to the dealer and ask them for a Touch Up paint, it should cost sth around $8US
  3. Offline

walt77 Guest

Message Count:
    It's indigo ink, I'll call my dealer.

How does it come ? Spray can ? Liquid painting ?
  4. Offline

ecorolla2003 Guest

Message Count:
    i believe it comes in a bottle similar to nail polish 1.3 oz?... Horrible stuff to work with. :( can you take a picture of the scratches.?
  5. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    its like a nail polish; there is a small brush for you to paint the scratches
  6. Offline

walt77 Guest

Message Count:
    I can get from a local store the original painting in a bottle (liquid paint)... I've a air brush at home, maybe I can do something with this ?

I hate the 'nail polish' little bottle... I've used some in the past and as ecorolla2003 said it's "horrible stuff"

I'll try to make some pics tonight
  7. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    A bottle of cut polish and some cloth will fix most scratches. I got one on my side fender that I took out with it. The white color is the clear coat being scratched. I am worried about ppl that do that so I usually get the plate number of the 2 guys beside me. If I find any scratches after I get back they will be charged with hit and run. Its that easy!
  8. Offline

baller Guest

Message Count:
    umm but there is not mcuh u cna do if they deny it was them.. since there was no acutaly witness.... they can just deny it and its ur word against theirs..
    NOT THAT EASY..

also they can also blame it on the next person that parks next to u after they left
  9. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I also have a digital camera in my car at all times. And it doesnt matter. My frined got charged with hit and run for the same thing. He had an old beater and since he coulnt prove that it wasnt him, they nailed him with a fine, and his insurance company made him pay to fix the other car. It really is that easy. You had a scratch after you got out, and it wasnt there before. You dont need a witness. Just a plate number and a good picture!
  10. Offline

walt77 Guest

Message Count:
    I took the picture yesterday...

so what do you think ?

a) the 'nail style' painting from the dealer
    b) get the exact color (1 Liter) and use a air brush
    c) a bottle of cut polish and some cloth * my english is not 'super good' (my first language is french) and I'm not sure what's a bottle of cut polish!?? please advice :oops:

[IMG]
  11. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    That looks a little beyond a touch-up paint job. See if you can find someone with a aribrush, even a little "hobby" one. A little sanding, a little paint...

DAMN I would be PISSED if I ever went out to my car and found that. Like stinky I try to memorize who's parked next to me, if I can't find a place way out in the back of the lot. Only difference, I will be the one going to jail, 'cause I am gonna lay a serious hurting on the jerk if I find him / her.
  12. Offline

ecorolla2003 Guest

Message Count:
    well i dont think the touch up paint from the dealer is gonna be a good idea, Thats huge :shock:

go with the airbrush idea, sorry thats a total bummer :cry:
  13. Offline

walt77 Guest

Message Count:
    I'm always taking care of parking myself (my rolla :oops:) between new cars, I don't memorized the plate number but I think new cars owner take care more than older ones.

In this case, the car wasn't there anymore when I got back and I've stayed 4 hours in this place (went shopping, dining and finaly watching a movie) so my parking neighboors might have change more than once!

I was PISSED of course... but what can I do ?!? Repair it myself...

I think if you're affraid of having minor scratches like this on your car you should leave it in your indoor parking at home :D

So... I think I'll get one litre of 'real painting', use my little car body skills and a air brush to fix that!

Thanx for your advices!
  14. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    yep thats a little too big to just cover up. You will want to sand that down a bit first then primer then paint. dont forget a good clear coat, and even FTER THAT YOU WILL PROLLY NEED TO get some polish of some sort to blend it in good with the rest of the car. It prolly needs to be polished anyway now that its summer again :wink:
  15. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    er dang.. that seems too much for using touch up's. i guess you will have to try the air brush like everybody else said
  16. Offline

GoNCHeels1 Guest

Message Count:
    dude don't do the touch up paint, i had some scrapes on my bumper, you could see the black, and i applied the nail polish paint. You can't really tell from fur but when you go up close it looks like crap, im probably just gonna end up taking to to the shop and paying for it this summer, hopfully it won't cost too much.
  17. Offline

walt77 Guest

Message Count:
    What do you call the Touch Up Paint ? The painting that the dealer sales you (in a little nail bottle)?
  18. Offline

walt77 Guest

Message Count:
    I got it...

The touch up paint is the dealer scrapy painting :lol:

I'll wait a bit and when I'll have time & money, I'll do it to good way with an air brush.
  19. Offline

daveb91 Guest

Message Count:
    dont you have insurance? someone just rammed their door into mine and I turned it into the insurance as vandalism no deductable.
  20. Offline

walt77 Guest

Message Count:
    yes I do, but I don't want to call them for someting like this.
  21. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    next time do what i do, park way in the back where no one parks. save you on a hella lot of scraches 8)
  22. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    We have three buildings where I work. One is adults, one is elders, one is children's services.

People who work in the children's building have twice the door dings as people at the other two buildings. The little brats open the door and couldn't care less what it hits.

So, it ain't easy, but I attempt to avoid four door cars too!

Yeah, I am that paranoid. I see it like this: I work for every penny I have. Including the ones I paid for my car. I really don't like going to work. So if you dent my doors, I am going to work because you're a jerk, and I have to pay for it.

And yeah, that pisses me off. And if I catch you or your brat doing it...
  23. Offline

Message Count:
    lol, i learned my lesson the hard way i guess. i got my job i have now and the car was 2 wks old. i parked up front like an idiot cuz on one at work told me so i leave and see a inch long scratch on the fron fender. to make things worse. it is right below the turn signal and it is dinged a little bit. but what you said is so ture. once i saw this kid riding shopping carts and nailing stuff so i grabbed a couple of yard sticks and walked out the store. i told his ass you hit my car i'm gonna find and kill you. he ran to hes mommy all scared. next thing i know she comes into my store and complains to my manager. to make things worse, i work in the better part of the city (rich ppl) and their kids are such fuckin brats
  24. Offline

walt77 Guest

Message Count:
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think we're all paranoing on the body of ours rollas :D

So... we should :

1. Do not park between old cars
    2. Take licence plate of the car behing us before leaving your parking spot
    3. Always have a digital cam in the car, just in case something happens
    4. Do not park between 4 doors car
    5. Park somewhere nobody parks

More ?!
  25. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    I've been working for 30 years of my life...longer than most people on this board have been alive. I'd really like to retire soon...ain't gonna have the cash in the bank if I'm always paying bodyshops! :wink:
  26. Offline

Message Count:
    well i guess it comes as a part of being a car owner kinda like rock chips on the windshield another one of my pet peevs
  27. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    You can always do like those guys with the low mini trucks and take up 3 spots by parking at an angle. I never understood why they did that, but now that I contemplate it every day.......

I usually just park at the back of the lot. I have a bunch of business careds I like to stick in the windows of nice cars as I walk by anyway, so it serves 2 purposes.
  28. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    If you do that make sure you're not taking the LAST three spots in the lot...or you may face someone who had to park a block away's wrath!
  29. Offline

TRDFAN Guest

Message Count:
    That's what I also do park farther out to avoid scratches.
  30. Offline

stylin Guest

Message Count:
    I recently used Meguiars Scratch-X and it worked really great removing surface scratches, I would definetly recommend it. For me, it worked so well that i couldn't tell there were any scratches to begin with when i was done, and it took less than a minute.