1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Make both Hi and Lo beams stay on?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by SkyAce2004, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    Make both Hi and Lo beams stay on?

Is there anyway to wire up your headlights so when you flick on the hi beams, the lows stay on also? Im sure some things will have to be re-wired but what would? Anyone ever do this?
  2. Offline

ghoztrider New Member

Message Count:
    on a 8th gen?
  3. Offline

Rolla95 Rollin' Out y0

Message Count:
    sure there is, get a 7th gen:D heh

but on a serious note, im not sure, try googling a 7th gen diagram and wire urs like that, but yea, what gen u got? 98-00 im not sure if u could do it, and 01-02 im pretty sure u prolly could
  4. Offline

frignuts New Member

Message Count:
    Why not just get some fog lights?
  5. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    yes, on an 8th gen. I did a 98 to an 02 conversion. I got the fogs to come on when the parking lamps come on. I got HIDs in the main lights, however wondering if there is a way to keep them on when i flick on the highs.
  6. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    Maybe thats why. Im pretty sure my lows stay on when I flick the highs but I could be wrong. I got silverstars low and high so I cant really tell if I my lows are still on.
  7. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    yes.. but then you would be overheating the bulb dramatically lessening its life. You have H4 which has two filiments in one bulb so the low have to turn off in order for high to be on. Other cars like the 93-97 and 03+ has a seperate bulb for low and high beam so both can stay on. When I converted to my H4 JDM headlight (real JDM not made in taiwan crap) I had to use a relay setup so the low will turn off when I use high beams.

But if you still want to do it, I'll draw you up a schematic.. you might not want to use expensive bulbs if you do.
  8. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    I guess you didnt read the part where I said i did a 98 to an 02 front end conversion. Now i have 9006 and 9005 bulbs, not H4.

I have a relay hooked up to my parking lamps so when they come on, it draws power from my battery to my fogs. This way I dont overload the wire.

I was hopeing i could advoid doing somthing like this in wiring up the hi's and lo's. HIDs are kinda picky when you flick them off and back on really fast.
  9. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    yeah that's a big no no from what I've heard.
    actually worse for the bulbs than running them as DRL's
  10. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    Hi-beams on with the Lo-beams?

I dont know what happened to my other thread, I searched and searched and I dunno where it went. If there was a problem, please a mod PM me.

Anyway. I did a 98 to an 02 front end conversion on my car. Im currious as to how I can have my Hi and Lo beams on at the same time. I will be installing HIDs in the 9006 socket and later down the road install them in the 9005 socket also (I do ALOT of night driving).

I found the relay that controls which lamp is on. Its on the driver side fender in the engine bay. Its in the small relay box and its Labeled: Dimmer. Well, I pulled it and its got 4 prongs. I took my multimeter and did some poking around and I know its possible to 'jump' some wires to make it happen, but I have no idea which ones.

Could someone help me out with this and maybe help me write a DIY?

Thanks!
  11. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
  12. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    going to merge these, no point in 2 threads.
  13. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    ha, thanks. I thought someone had deleted the original thread. I searched and couldnt find it. So back to the topic at hand. How can it be done?
  14. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    heh, i've wondered the same thing... been too lazy to look into it...
    as pointed out before when you're running the combination bulb (98-00 stock) its a bad idea to have those on at the same time due to excessive heat. however, upon doing the 01-02 conversion you now effectively split the bulbs into two entities... while i've never had a problem with running like this, it might be good to have both high and low in this split mode now.
  15. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    Yeah....Im almost tempted to just start jumping wires...but im hoping someone will chime in with an answer first before I start blowing fuses

------------------

I think I got the solution. I was doing some testing today since noone seemend interested. If you unmount the smaller relay box on the fender, flip it over and take off the cover, you have access to all the wires and such. If you look at the DIMMER relay module and the wires attached to it, youll see a pair of BLACK wires attached to 1 terminal and a pair of RED wires attached to the opposite corner terminal.

You want to JUMP those 2 terminals so they are always connected. HOWEVER!!! Im gunna wire in a relay. Im gunna make it so when the RED wires are getting power, the relay will click on and draw power directly from my battery. This way, it wont burn any wires and put any extra stress on my electrical system.

If anyone wants to try it out before I do this myself and make a DIY, please let me know how it goes.
  16. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    Hey I'd like a schematic of the relay you made for your JDM (Authentic Koito, not Taiwan crap) headlights. I've had mine wired up for a while using the diagrams posted on the site before, but I feel like they can get a little brighter.

Did you wire yours up the same way as here? http://www.cardomain.com/ride/269600/2