1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY MAF Sensor Cleaning

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by Barnacules, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    MAF Sensor Cleaning

UPDATE!!!
    http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/March/maf_clean/maf_clean.htm

Cleaning the MAF sensor is very vital and important to maintaining your cars performance. I could not find information on servicing this component in any manuals or from any machanics because it is a part that is expected to last the life of the car. Well guess what! IT DOESN'T! It basically progressivly collects garbage and looses efficency until your car basically runs like ass but still has a good enough reading to fool the ECU into thinking everything is okay. It took me weeks to figure this out and a lot of forum trolling in all makes and models across the web. Anyways I'll stop my babbling.
    The MAF sensor is one of the primary sensors in your car that tells the ECU how to manage the air/fuel mixture. If this sensor goes bad the car will not even run that is how important its readings are. Anyways the sensor works by heating a wire up to a fixed temperature and then messuring how much voltage it takes to keep that little wire at that fixed temperature in the direct path of air comming into the throttle body. This means that if crap flys by this sensor and touches the wire it will melt onto it and eventually the wire will become completely coated with crap. When this happens it takes more voltage to keep the wire at its fixed temperature which makes the motor beleive that more air is comming in then what is actually comming in. This leads to the engine putting in eay too much fuel and as a result your car runs rich, underpowered and eats gas like a mofo and in some cases blows out white smoke.
    Anyways I spent my entire day today researching this sensor to the bone. After all of my research I decided to go and buy a can of Electronic Contact Cleaner (No Residue) and proceeded with spraying off the 3 wires inside of the MAF sensor. To my surpise the wires dropped in circumference by about half and turned shiney silver :) They were completely coated in garbage. After letting the cleaner evaporate over the next half hour I returned the sensor and started the car. The idle was smooth as silk which I have not had for a long time so I was really happy with just that fact.
    Anyways I decided to go for a test drive. I noticed immediatly that the throttle response was crisper then I ever remembered it and takeoffs were smooth and strong. So I proceeded to floor it because I wanted to see what it felt like at the top end. HOLY @#$%ing SHIT. Now my Lightened Flywheel and Exhaust mod feel like they actually did something. The car reved up 2x faster then it ever has and put me in my seat. I broke the tires loose shifting into 2nd gear which I have not done in a long time (note I have 7.5 inch wide tires not stock, with stocks you could probably break them in 3rd too). And the exhaust is like 2x louder then it was before (Not too great but I don't care at this point)!
    Anyways I'm not yanking your chain. This is a gold mine tidbit of information. Also note that I had a K&N filter and my research has shown that the oil from the K&N filter will get stuck to the wires on this sensor and then dust particles will stick to the oil. If you have a K&N filter make sure you clean the MAF sensor with every oil change for best performance. If you have a paper filter you may find that this mod doesn't do anything for you but I'm betting that everyone with 60k+ has some grime on those wires and if you remove it your in for a world of difference. Sorry for all the spelling errors but I'm not going to re-read and correct this because I'm too lazy. If you want to know the exact process and products I used let me know and I'll post some pictures.
    Otherwise have fun cleaning it and thank me when you realize that your car has really been dragging its ass all these months and your mods have been getting robbed blind :) Oh yeah! Make sure you unplug your negative terminal after cleaning the sensor to reset your ECU. Otherwise your results will not be as dramatic because the ECU will adjust over time instead of starting off with the fresh new readings from the clean MAF.
  2. Offline

Message Count:
    2001 Toyota Corolla but this DIY applies to any and every car built with a MAF sensor :) They all have the same problem. I'll take some pictures today or tomorrow and post them.
  3. Offline

rice cracker VVT-i's Cracker

Message Count:
    looks good. Thanks for doing this DIY but next time, make paragraphs :p
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    No MAF eh. Lame. MAF's are cool. They get dirty and make your car run bad :)
  5. Offline

Vamp Gunmetal 2001 Corolla S

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Gunmetal Grey 2001 Corolla S
    I just cleaned mine last week. Just take it out and spray lots of carb cleaner on it. Use a cotton ball to gently remove and dirt buildup on the sensor. Be careful not to break it. After cleaning it, my acceleration and overall performance improved that my now squeel tires when I hit the gas from a dead stop.
  6. Offline

CraigW New Member

Message Count:
    When my MAF sensor failed I had a CE light after accelerating onto the highway, I reset with battery and it returned after climbing a hill.

The car had no other symptoms and after the mechanic replaced it the CE light never returned.

00 Corolla CE
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    I wonder if yours was as bad as mine? Do you use a K&N filter? I pulled my MAF and the sensor wires actually were covered in textured grease looking muck :) After cleaning it the performance gains were unreal. I'm thinking this little sensor has a lot to say to your ECU :)
  8. Offline

Vamp Gunmetal 2001 Corolla S

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Gunmetal Grey 2001 Corolla S
    Yes, I use a K&N on a short ram. I lost 50 miles to a tank of gas until after I cleaned it and then put in some premium with injector cleaner on top of that.
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    I think I'm going to shoot some premium though my car tomorrow with some injector cleaner to see what else might happen :) I also noticed something crazy about my car after watching it for a while. I car sputters a bit when I go down steep hills and blows smoke out the back for a little while almost like its clearing itself out. And its burning a little oil. But only when I go down hills not up hills or on flat ground. Do you know of any seals or engine issues that would only become a problem going down hills?
  10. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
    I cleaned mine last week. :) I forgot to plug it in and stuttered at 3k rpms. haha.
    DUH!
    After the MAF was plugged in it was great!
    Notice a difference in response.

***A note from the mechanic.
    Use electrical contact cleaner to be safe. Carb cleaner can corrode some MAF sensor elements. I used carb cleaner on my buddy's explorer, no probs. Just use the contact cleaner to be safe.
  11. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    Where is this sensor? My 94 corolla has 200,000 miles on it and doesn't run very well. I'd love to be able to restore it somehow. Pics would be helpful of the whole process, too.
  12. Offline

corollakustom j-rolla what?

Message Count:
    :censored: Thanks alot for posting this info. My car was acting very shitty for a long time and after seeing this I cleaned my MAF sensor on my 02 and HOLY :censored: what an amazing difference!!! The car runs ten times better thanks!!!.
  13. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    yours is probably different than the 2003 and up Corollas... ours looks different. I was cleaning it out yesterday (after 20,000 miles) and mines clean as a whistle.
  14. Offline

mingww New Member

Message Count:
    which part did you clean??
    the first picture or second picture??

anyways~ i do have problem with my MAF sensor for a long whiel that my Check Engine light just came on all the itme, so i have to reset it~ and it was the MAF sensor. I cleaned them couple time b4, but only on the part of 2nd picture. Today, i just clean the part in 1st picture. i will see if the check engien light still come on this time.
    hopefully, i don't need to buy another MAF sensor, they cost an arm and leg.. :(

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  15. Offline

BloKKem New Member

Message Count:
    I sprayed both with a pretty good amount.
  16. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    mine are freaking hard to get out.... WD-40 to them bitches?
  17. Offline

BloKKem New Member

Message Count:
    umm i would say no to wd40 anywhere near the MAF sensor. Why are they hard to get out, there is 2 screws and a harness to get the actual MAF sensor off. Only use Electrical Contact Cleaner on the actual sensors inside the MAF sensor though.
  18. Offline

m120004 VTEC Killer

Message Count:
    Las Vegas, Nevada/Olongapo City Philippines
    Hey do you know where I could buy the electronic contact cleaner?
    My MAF is dirty it has oil with dust maybe because of my TRD filter which sometimes I over oil.
  19. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    thats a good article but which spray did you use, got more details on the procedure??
  20. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
    Just get electrical contact cleaner at the autoparts store. You'll see it on the shelf right by the brake parts cleaners and stuff...
  21. Offline

kalbo New Member

Message Count:
  22. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
  23. Offline

kalbo New Member

Message Count:
    hey, thanks a lot bro. another quick question, so i take it off and spray the sensor itself right? i mean the inside of it, correct? thanks again in advance.
  24. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
  25. Offline

kalbo New Member

Message Count:
    fish, thank bro. i appreciate it. im gonna clean the maf this weekend.
  26. Offline

alby13 New Member

Message Count:
    like he said, you should take pictures; showing this wire especially.
  27. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:
    I've read several articles on this...including ones that say using a K&N Drop-In filter makes cleaning the MAF very important. But here's the kicker. I installed my K&N drop-in at 52 miles. Tundra now has almost 70k miles on it, and the filter has been cleaned and re-oiled once. I pulled my MAF sensor off about 56k...

And let me tell you, it was clean as a whistle.

Are you sure cleaning the MAF sensor is important for everyone? Or only for those who run alot of WOT and get blow-by?

Just curious.
  28. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Probab;y varies quite a bit - I also run a K&N, didn't notice much if any additional accumulation that others have seen. A lot probably depends on how the filter was oiled, driving conditions, how it was driven, etc.

On the Matrix - it was dirty as hell at 40K miles (OEM paper air filter). The Corolla - first 30K on OEM paper air filter - looked pretty clean, cleaned it up anyways - switched to K&N - now 130K, looks like it did at 30K.

They don't really tell you to clean the MAF - because they probably don't want you to damage it and they want to make money on replacement parts. I roll this into the maintenance catagory - if it needs it, it will get done - if it looks OK, don't mess with it.
  29. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    I just bought a can of contact cleaner from Radio Shack. I forgot to check if it is a non residue one and it says nothing about it on the bottle. I called them up and he said he doesnt know either. Where did you get yours from Barn?
  30. Offline

Message Count:
    Contact Cleaner is always a non-residue cleaner so you safe :) I got mine from B&B Auto Parts in Redmond, WA.