1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine machined head?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by JrollaS, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Offline

JrollaS Member

Message Count:
    machined head?

Has anyone done machine work to the stock 1zz-fe corolla head. i think the celica has a slightly different head but im sure you could make the rolla one as good if not better.. anyone have any experience? valve jobs, decking, port and polish?
  2. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    =]

watcha want to know?
  3. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    is that how you kids call it this days :D
  4. Offline

JrollaS Member

Message Count:
    If you were to deck the head (shave material off the bottom) would you have issues with your timing being off since there is a little less room between all the components?

and is the celica head really any different other than the size of the valve openings?

I thought i was using the "correct technical terms." what would you call it?
  5. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    I think sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet, but carry on xD

shaving the head wouldn't be that bad, just that's why there's a tensioner
  6. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    yep as long as you dont go crazy and shave the head to the point of 30% combustion chamer youll be fine.

what are you wanting to do? pnp? remove valve shrouds and polish the chambers? valve job? re-seat the valves?

im willing to help , but i need to know what your plan is.
  7. Offline

JrollaS Member

Message Count:
    i want to work on the head to get more naturally aspirated power. ive been talking to friends and i was wondering that even with the tensioner am i going to run into any problems with timing. I want to get oversized valves for more air and so therefor i want to know if anyone else has done this to this head. is there any difference with the celica head. do they have the same amount of valves and in the same position but just bigger. ive seen several products made for celica heads but not for the corolla such as stage 1 and 2 cams as well as oversized valves. If the heads are similar enough i think you should be able to use those same parts... right? Have you guys had any success with this or have any info on the differences between those two heads. ive read that i were to swap in a celica head i would need the wiring harness as well. Im trying to avoid that but if thats the only way to get several more options on parts i guess ill end up going that route.
  8. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    you're wasting your time with the 1zz-fe if you want N/A power gains

first that has to go are the stock ecu and then the everything else basically
  9. Offline

JrollaS Member

Message Count:
    everything else as in complete engine swap. im trying to do it with the 1zz-fe because everyone is saying it cant be done. that makes me want to prove them wrong. im not trying to go crazy horsepower but just enough to feel a significant difference. i was thinking about turbo down the line but was trying to get as much out of the natural engine as possible. have you done any work with the head or did you just swap?
  10. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    time being in this board, but the 1zz-fe only responds basically to either ecu + big bore or ecu + turbo
  11. Offline

JrollaS Member

Message Count:
    alright. humph... thanks anyway:)
  12. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    dude honestly by the time you spend money to get 5ohp outta that engine , youve spent enough money to swap in an XRS engine tranny combo. 2zz-ge w/ c160.

or do a hybrid like a few others . . . .swap a 2zzge head on it. then turbo it.

just saying the money your gonna spend alone in machining for larger valves, shaving , re seat , new springs to keep up with weight of the larger valves , and ecu and cams . well youll net maybe 50hp if your lucky. and thats at the crank.

you just spent 2000-2500 for 50 hp, not a very good hp per $ ratio.

hell spend $2k and swap in a 20v or gze. use a 20 year old block to blister the newer times . . . . . . i do. and parts are alot cheaper and alot easier to come by.
  13. Offline

JrollaS Member

Message Count:
    Whats the deal with the 2zzge head? does it have more valves? 20 maybe? and im guessing with that head swap ill at least need the harness... what about the ECU?
  14. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    as far as I'm concern the GE doesn't bolt on the 1zz... it's the 1zz crankshaft that can be installed in a 2zz
  15. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    i thought afew did hybrid head swaps.

for your questoin . . . .the age old toyota head code. "f" is for economical head, "g" is for sport head. port and valve angles are different , sometimesits a true dohc , vs. slave setup.

not too familiar in the zz's. i just know about the head work you were asking about.
  16. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    not on the ZZs

but you are forgiven :D love your work on those engines 4As
  17. Offline

JrollaS Member

Message Count:
    Not familiar with the term "slave setup." what exactly do you mean by that?

And also if the GE doesnt bolt on, is the only head swap you can do with that motor the celica swap that i hear about? I basically want to get as close to 200hp as i can naturaly with that motor before i put a turbo on. i know i dont have a lot of options so i want to find out what works, such as heads with better flow. If im able to find a head that matches the block i might to the head work to that new one then bolt it on for the post power i can get out of it.
  18. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
  19. Offline

JrollaS Member

Message Count:
    hmm. but that will end up being my overall power then right? from there once the pistons are forged and the turbo is on i wont really have anywhere else to go... id hit my max.could i instead do block work, boering cylinders and oversized pistons... i mean that way id probubly still spend the same amount of money and still have somwhere to go for the future. or is it still cheaper just to go turbo. i mean this will be a long project and id like to get the max i can. then again im not lookin to spend 2-3g every 5 years... which its looking like its where its going to be. i havnt looked into the prices for ecu and turbo yet... you got a ballpark figure? and do you recomend a certain setup?