1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine M/T Celica ECU Swap into M/T 8th Corolla

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Machupicchu, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Offline

Machupicchu The once a week type of member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    01 Corolla S E110
    SO, finally sat down and actually looked at the EWDs Irvin hooked me up with and I think I have it down on how to read these bastards and the confusion between 9th/8th gen A/T & M/T Corolla & Celica diagrams ECU bullshit.

So, iv'e seen multiple ways of doing this on multiple sites and the process will differ depending on which ECU you want to swap in, but this is a writeup for swapping a M/T 7th Gen Celica ECU into a M/T 8th Gen Corolla.

So heres where I was confused, THE 7TH GEN M/T CELICA USES THE SAME CONNECTORS AS AN 8TH GEN A/T COROLLA.
    This means you can use an auto corolla diagram to reference connectors E7,E8,E9, and E10 (same as on a M/T Celica). The celica ECU will have some differing or unused pins but about 90% of the pins will matchup, will be color coded correctly, and will be labeled the same in the pinout diagram.

So here are the 2 files I am using.

Pinouts
    http://imageshack.us/a/img29/8586/2001corollaecuterminals.jpg

Diagram
    http://imageshack.us/a/img145/504/2001corollaewd2.jpg

So for the noobs like me reading this (and please correct me if i am wrong), I'll try and explain the way I figured it out.

So, if you take a look at the wiring diagram you will find the 4 main light blue boxes labeled Engine Control Module. Within each of these boxes you will see a series of numbers and letters representing each connector for the A/T ECU and M/T ECU. The M/T ECU uses connectors E4,E5, and E6 (labeled A,B, and C on the diagram.) And the A/T ECU (or M/T Celica ECU) uses connectors E7,E8,E9, and E10 (labeled D,E,F, and G on the diagram). So since the M/T Celica uses the same connectors as the A/T Corolla, and this diagram shows pinouts for both the A/T Corolla and M/T Corolla (the car you are swapping into) we can use this one diagram to cross reference the pins and match them up (for the most part).

Take B+ for example, it is located on the farthest left "ECU" box on the wiring diagram, above the B+ label the digram shows a black wire labeled 16G and 12C. This stands for the 16th pin on connector E10(G) and the 12th pin on connecter E6(C). Meaning the 16th pin on the E10 connector (M/T Celica & A/T Corolla) is the same as the 12th pin on the E6 connector (M/T Corolla). You can look on the digram to make sure the colors match and on the pinouts image for connector pin numbers.

Im going to head to Frys and pick up a new soldering gun and supplies, please someone confirm that this is the correct way of reading these diagrams and maybe even throw in what you need to fully complete the swap *cough Irvin cough*

If i get this working and finished I will post a pin number to pin number digram between the two saving you all hours of headaches and making me the new champion of TRD forums.

kthnxbai
  2. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2002 Corolla S / Lexus LF-A / 1991 MR2 V6 / Pokeball
    I think you're making this a bit too confusing for yourself bro. All you need to do is print out the 2 wiring diagrams like the second link you posted. of the 2001 Corolla, the 2001 Celica and this one I posted of connector views. ONLY Use the wiring diagrams. Check off each wire you complete connecting.

Print This out. Print out each wiring diagram like you have side by side.

[IMG]
  3. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Aren't the connectors between the vvti auto ecu and non-vvti auto ecu different? I already have an auto 8th gen ecu ( obviously) so this sounds simple, but I think the two auto ecus have different connectors.
  4. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Forget about the whole Auto Corolla ecu thing. I already posted how to do it. Here's a short and sweet version of what I'm talking about. This example is to connect the injectors between 8th gen corolla and 7th gen celica. It's really just as easy as "Connecting the dots"

Example: If you want to connect Injector 10.

Corolla- (Connector A/E4) Pin 12.
    Celica- (Connector D/E5) Pin 1.

Baaam! You connect those 2 together and move on to the next one.

[IMG]
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    01 Corolla S E110
    Sweet got it. Thanks man. Thought I would post how I figured it out. Maybe it'll help somebody out, probably just confuse them more. Lol. So what hiccups did you run into beside the fans?
  6. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Only the fans. But I made a harness for that and got that to work too. Just follow what I just posted and you'll get it done just fine bro
  7. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I understand. But a lot of people understand pretty pictures with cute little colors. People nowadays don't know how to read text... LOL
  8. Offline

rx7rocket2005 Ultimate Part-Out King!

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye Turbo
    I had to splice a total of 16 connectos to get my mr-s ecu to work with my corolla my idle goes nuts when I turn on a/c tho go figure ......... who needs a/c anyways in california
    Added: Apr 12, 2013 2:28 PM
    love the diagrams btw we had to write everything thing out like that when we installed the engine too
    James likes this.
  9. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    ZZE110, MA70, JZA70, AE92 GT-S x2, xB with a rollcage, 900 ft-lb Dodge Ram
    Nice, you are running an MR-S ECU! Is there a better redline? How different does the engine feel compared to the stock 02 S ECU?
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    there is a huge difference , when i shift at redline, the tach shows almost a lag like when takumi had the 9k guage and he didnt kow he could hit 11k, i can max out my speedo on 5th gear and its continues to push i need to get some kind of dashhawk like device so i can correctly monitor these things ,
  11. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    How is the idle and midrange engine response compared to before? That is awesome, it should be 15 HP faster at least.
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    the idle is spotty at best holds at about 900rmp and peaks to 1100 rmp randomly
  13. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    Probably worth it. OK to smog it like that?
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    01 Corolla S E110
    Nice, so you got all of your monitors to set and all that?
  15. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Actually... I was never able to get the Celica ecu to run the monitors. I think i scrapped that project for the 9th gen ecu. I was able to get that one to run ALL the monitors
  16. Offline

Milky Enlarged Member

Message Count:
    i have been running the celica ecu with a auto 4spd vvti harness for a year now. i have no issues other than the fans staying on. i just have been to lazy to look into bypassing the ac amp to correct it.

odd thing is, using the celica gt ecu... i should have a cel for a gutted cat, but i dont. in fact, it doesnt read the rear 02 sensor at all. i removed the sensor so i could install my wideband into its spot. i dont know if its something different in the wiring or something is up with the ecu it self. but it works and im getting 26-28mpg per tank. so im not really complaining
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    im actually waiting for my smog guy to come back from vacation .. he pre checked it and ran fine but I did have to replace cat went with a polished magnaflow . cant get my cstom plates till I register that bitch lol
  18. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
    you are driving illegally :eek:
  19. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    Shit, are you stuck in open loop?

Is it only reading sensor 1? If no O2 feedback then it must have zeroed out fuel trims! The one time that a piggyback will work well!
  20. Offline

Milky Enlarged Member

Message Count:
    must explain why my camcon works like a champ when most say the fuel wont adjust anything! i havent cared too much about it, cus the car drives perfectly fine and still gets good gas mileage. but i know it will get better once the power fc is in and tuned. it seems to be a bit rich on the cruise, so thats probably why.

ill check on the fuel trims today, i can watch them as they change on my ultragauge. hehehe

and yes, i am driving illegally. there is no emissions testing of any kind, visual or sniffer, in kentucky. so a few years ago when my cat decided to clog to the point the car would barely run, i gutted it.
  21. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I would double check your wiring. If it's ok. What are your LTFT's? If it's running too rich or lean. The second sensor may simulate a no reading condition. But in reality, it's just stuck high or low
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    actually got a ticket for no insurance the day after I bought it lol , yes its not registered it has plates till October 2013 but I do have insurance now
  23. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
  24. Offline

Irvin Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    No insurance ehh? One of them people..
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    lol im not one of them ppl like cbass
  26. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
  27. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
    :rolleyes: ok....ok i drive with unpaid tickets and suspended licenses

BUUUUUUUT!!!!! i do have proper insurance AAAAAAAND registration!
  28. Offline

Milky Enlarged Member

Message Count:
    ltft's seem to be averaging 15.5-19.53 but that could also be because i have a 2.75in intake as well. but idk. its adding in fuel.
    Added: Apr 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    i had one of those, but i had insurance and it had lapse that morning cus i forgot to make the payment. ended up a cop wanted to be a dick and pulled me over, turning into my parents neighborhood for not using my turn signal... but that was 8 years ago.
  29. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
  30. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    01 Corolla S E110
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. So am I better off selling my celica ECU and getting a 9th gen corolla? Will that give me the same 7k redline and 2.5" intake tune?