1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

LOW & HIGH BULBS SWITCH?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by special_ahs, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Offline

special_ahs Guest

Message Count:
    LOW & HIGH BULBS SWITCH?

One of my low superwhite bulb burnt out. Is it okay to switch them with my High light bulbs?
    Their wattage is lower than my low light bulbs....
    What is 9005 and 9006?
    Please advise me if it is okay to do it.
    Thanks
  2. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    I wouldnt advise doing it all
  3. Offline

cooper Guest

Message Count:
    you cant put a high beam bulb in the low beam slot... the bases of the beams are diffrent and you cant fit a high beam bulb into the low beam slot. i tried on accident (brought high beam replacement instead of lowbeam replacement) and it did not work.
  4. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
  5. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I put 150W high beam bulbs in my low beam socket by doing that DIY. I was driving beside a lexus with the real HID's and my lights looked EXACTLY the same.

A word of caution, you will want to turn the lights down slightly so you dont blind everyone, and you DEFF need a relay harness to run that setup. While you are at it disable your drl's and you wont be burning out your bulbs so fast anymore.

But you shouldnt be running anything over 65W in your low beam socket or high beam socket without that relay harness or a burnt out bulb will be the least of your worries. A $500 DRL relay will be on order for you from Toyota.
  6. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Boy, that link gets around! I put it up when I first joined this board! I'm sure Bruno (bmwe34.net owner) is loving all of the hits he's getting from non-BMW owners. BTW, for any of you that would be interested an E34 is a 1989-1995 5 series BMW. The US models-- M20 (12v I6) 525i, M50 (24v I6) 525i, M50tu (24v I6 w/VANOS) 525i, M60 (32v V8) 530i, M60 (32v V8) 540i/M540i, M5 3.6 S38 (24v I6). There were other versions made, but not imported to the US.

I have my silverstar bulbs from my E36 in my Corolla (the modified 9005's). I would highly recommend the mod. It's cheap and takes about 5 minutes total and you'll really recognize a difference in output. Also, a lighting harness is unnecessary since you're utilizing bulbs that aren't significantly higher in wattage than the 9006's. Besides, the 9005 bulb is nothing more than your existing highbeam bulb. Trust me when I say it won't matter. The LKM (Light Kontrol Module) in BMW's is very sensitive bulb wattage differences. In fact having two different wattage bulbs in each headlamp will trigger an error. The modified 9005 setup doesn't trip any errors...