1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

lights

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by wildFIRE, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Offline

wildFIRE Guest

Message Count:
    lights

i've been reading up on HID's and i'm kinda confused. How long do the bulbs last? and whats a HID kit why are they so expensive.. i thought HID's were jsut bulbs u can replace the stocks ones with ... also if anyone has a DIY for interior neon lights that woudl be great.. i have no idea ho wto hook it up .. and how is it even powered and all those wires o_0 welp thanx hope somoen can help
  2. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    HID stands for High Intensity Discharge. they work on a different principle compared to those of your regular headlights. what you are thinking of are HID look alike bulbs like the Sylvania Silverstars or PIAA's. HID's are expensive cuz the bulbs use a plasma and an element to emit light compared to the usual gas and element. the bulb on a HID kit is called a ballast and the box which i like to refer to as the AMP sends in the power to help it light up. the result is much brighter light that spans more the 2x the distance your regular bulbs would. it is definitely worth the money if you live in a place that has a lot of snow or rain like michigan.
  3. Offline

wildFIRE Guest

Message Count:
    are these HID look alike bulbs like the Sylvania Silverstars or PIAA's any good.. you knwo how long they last ....i dont have to liek buy a buld every month or anyhtign rite.... do they use the same amount of electricity as regular bulbs or more .
    thanx =)
  4. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    The Sylvania Silverstars are pretty good. I installed mine on the weekend
    and i tried those bulb @ nite while driving
    they are brighter and whiter than the original ones

Additional Info: Sylvania is the OEM light bulbs for our corollas, so... yeahh

i think how will last for a while since they are like one of largest the OEM light bulbs producers

and yes they consume the same amount of electricity
    go to www.sylvania.com and check it out

for further info, you can click here to read more about the bulbs
    topic 665
    i asked a similar question b4 too

hey Syndicate, if you are reading this, thanks again for the info :wink:
  5. Offline

wildFIRE Guest

Message Count:
    hey does it matter which sylvania silver star i buy... it looks like theres many different types.. which ones fit the 03 corolla .... and actually look good.....and anyone know how long they last? ... thanx a bunch =)
  6. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    9006 ====> for low beam
    9005 ====> for high beam
    H3 ====> for fog light
  7. Offline

wildFIRE Guest

Message Count:
    dang their liek 25 per bulb o_0 mannnn thats bank.. man car got hit and run so i had to cough up 500 deductible to fix it so i dont really got the cash for that rite now ugh... is there anywher where their cheaper or.... a cheaper brand ?
    man money always a problem =T