1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

News Libya-

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by e_andree, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Any thoughts on the current operation in Libya?
  2. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    i've stopped following it. there's no reason for gas prices to be on the rise like they are because of this situation. we get 1% of out oil from there and i am sure we can cut it off and find it somewhere else.
  3. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    We should not be involved. Let Europe handle it
  4. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    looks like another genocide, our queue to get involved.
  5. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Not sure what's going on over there, but if it was a conflict that started without the USA and we are now involved (or trying to be) then I am pretty much against it.
  6. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    The current rise in gas prices isnt attributed to this (the Allied forces getting involved) if I recall..... the prices we see today are due to whatever event occured weeks/months ago..... and theres more to it than that.
    Added: Mar 21, 2011 10:09 PM
    Genocide? how so.
    Added: Mar 21, 2011 10:11 PM
    Im honestly on the fence about it....

The US has had no problem (other than for a bit when Ronald was in office) with Qaddafi being in power for the last 40+ years, and theres a resistance started because they see other muslim countries doing it, and the US should automatically become involved? Not sure i agree with this one.
    The US has no problem with Mubarek being in power.....and now we are celebrating Mubareks overthrow?

Really fishy to me.

Good article regarding Obama and his take: http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599206049400
  7. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
  8. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    The headline of the paper pissed me off the other day: "TAKE THAT!" in big bold letters above a pic of one of the cruise missiles being fired from the ship. yeaaaaaaa so exciting! Rally the troops! lets get involved in a 3rd war!
    Ive never been involved in politics but this is bothering me
  9. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    "Your tax money at work" Seems more appropriate above the cruise missile.
  10. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
  11. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Thats the one and only article ive seen referring to this as Genocide.....which is wrong. This isnt Genocide....

The Holocaust was genocide.....Rwanda was genocide..... Bosnia was genocide..... this is not genocide.
  12. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    ohhhhh now McCain wants the US to train and equip the rebels!!! Is he out of his mind? Thank God he wasnt elected.
  13. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    we have no business being there. Not a strategic trading partner, not a major source of oil. Cost far outweighs the benefits in this case.
  14. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I'll point this thread out to the White House and show them that we know what's up and should listen to us lol
  15. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    are you all saying no one should be there, or just us?
  16. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    i was seeing stories about the gas prices going up because of libya. i also know prices are rising because the price of gas is based on the american dollar which is horrible right now.
  17. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Lol.
  18. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I was referring to the US, but I'm still not sure why we're there, because I don't have TV, and I hate online news, so I don't really know what's going on. Like I said earlier, I feel people there have done nothing to us, then why do we feel the need to solve everyone's problems when we can't fix our own damn country?
  19. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    We should not be there. Europe can do what they want since they apparently rely on oil from there more than us. These people don’t even have a leader. When Khadafy attacks, they all run off. Wheres the leadership? And whats going to happen if/when they get control of the country. I also believe that Obama during his campaign said we should not enter a war unless we are attacked (correct me if I’m wrong). Yet we are there!
  20. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Great post. enlighten us with how this is GENOCIDE! Dont post in these threads unless you have something knowledgeable to add.....
    Added: Mar 22, 2011 10:18 PM
    Qaddafi is their leader...has been for 40+ years now.

Whos they? This entire conflict is happening because the rebels arent running off...theyre fighting back.

Democracy? Government with no dictator?

Very correct.
  21. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    I was referring to the leader of the rebels.
    Well, when khadafy bombs them they retreat. They've lost some of the territories gained and the troops are having trouble organizing themselves for combat. There's noone stepping up, like a leader of the revolution (like a G.Washington of Libya)

Random, but I also find it interesting that this rebellion is taking longer than the other ones. It seems like in Egypt, the entire nation was against Mubarak, yet in Libya, there is still very strong support for Khadafy? Some people still like him?
  22. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Even if its not a genocide, its a massacre we shouldn't be apart of, its between them.
  23. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    You habe to realize that the qadaffi supporters are using the Libyan military weapons and trained soldiers, and the qadaffi opposition are civilians that have never fought before- using leftover weapons and supplies apparently smuggled over from Egypt. And yeah, there is a high percentage of qadaffi supporters....he's been in office for 40+ years! He's very much loved by many in his country. A leader for the qadaffi opposition wouldn't help I don't think.
  24. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    I feel this is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios. It has the great potential to be
    either a "game changer", so to speak, in US-Arab relations or as an economic and political disaster - if everyone else bails early in the conflit and leaves the US with the check.

I know that Obama pushed his agenda for not entering conflicts unless they are directed at the US, but being Commander and Chief means that sometimes you got to pull on the big boy pants and grab your whupping stick - can't always negotiate in a situation like this.

Compared to the other Middle East conflicts, this one is a little different. To some people, war is war - nothing else, that an armed conflict will mean the potential deaths of many people and stirring the global pot of power. But keep in mind that recent Iraq conflict was based finding and destroying weapons of mass destruction / keep an adversary in perpetual check.

Also keep in mind that it was clear that a couple of conditions had to been met before the US entered the Libyan conflict.
    - Arab people requested the intervention
    - Europeans took the lead in calling for the intervention
    - United Nations Security Council passed a resolution authorizing the action

Main thread of the conflict is to protect the citizens of Libya and to the end goal of supporting a Gaddafi ouster to keep the momentum for the push of democracy - not for access to the oil (2% of world's output) or eliminated a possible adversary. This is the potential game changer - US protecting citizens of Libya will not be lost on the other Arab nations, further halting or even flipping that growing negative view of the US in the eyes of the Arab nations.

My fear is the high potential for an economic and political disaster. The nations that are entering the conflict are hoping for a short intervention, the US hasn't recovered from the economic downturn, though it could be argued that we are doing better than some of the other nations involved. If this turns into a drawn out conflict, it will be likely that the other nations will have to bow out early, leaving the US in leading the intervention. The US should not have to shoulder that load and was voiced early on. The US also have to balance how much involvement the US warfighter has on Middle Eastern soil - have to be able to cleanly level the playing field between the pro-Gaddafi forces and the opposition forces. Let the opposition take the lead in fighting with minimal involvement from the Western forces. Limiting civilian casualties / minimizing collateral damages is always a concern in an armed conflict. Advanced avionic and superior tech can only go so far - US has to pay due diligence in making sure that CONOPS is based on good intel, communications with all joint forces. US cannot stand to loose ground to anti-Gaddafi forces, if this conflict is to be resolve swiftly. Do not want this to become another Iraq war.

Only time will tell if this was a good decision or not.
  25. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Its a good debate topic, whether we should or should not be there it just depends on which side of the line your standing on.