1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Lexus IS riding on Corolla chassis???

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by m120004, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Offline

m120004 VTEC Killer

Message Count:
    Las Vegas, Nevada/Olongapo City Philippines
    Lexus IS riding on Corolla chassis???

Have anyone of you saw the new IS?, well guess what, its also a 9thgen Corolla chassis and RWDorAWD, 2.5-3.5L engine. I am guessing the older one has an 8th gen chassis. Tell me if its true? and its a pretty nice car for going into formal parties I'm buying the IS250 6spdMT rather than G35 even though it has more power;).
  2. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    i thought the new IS is riding on the GS chassis and extact same front end suspension components w/ the GS also....
  3. Offline

m120004 VTEC Killer

Message Count:
    its as short as the corolla9
  4. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    the last body style was riding on a corolla chassies... well the 9th gen rolla was riding on the IS chassies... I don't know about the new one tho...
  5. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    I assume the 9th gen rolla and the 1st gen IS don't share any suspension parts, though, right? They may be the same chassis, but that doesn't mean it would be easy to convert a 9th gen to RWD, just for anyone thinking about it.
  6. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I would love to know where you guys are getting this information, because it makes no sense...
  7. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    suspention parts are diffrent than drive train parts... but yeah the 9th gen and IS are diffrent in everything except for chassies...

I used to work at a lexus dealership.. when I was bored I would read the tech manuals back in the shop...
  8. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    Yeah, I realize the diff between suspension and drivetrain. Just making a comment.
  9. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    sweet shit...
  10. Offline

ToyRolla New Member

Message Count:
    I'm going to say I don't believe it (either gen). Where did you get this information?

Lets get the list going that challenges that claim. The IS has a hump for the drive shaft, the drivetrain is not transverse, the IS has independent rear suspension, the IS is a slightly larger car. I honestly believe there is little chassis wise that is similar.
  11. Offline

zze130 New Member

Message Count:
    you guys are all wrong. the old IS rode on a modifiy supra platform on the old official altezza website. the new IS rides on the new Toyota Crown Platform along with the New GS. the 9th Corolla rides on the Vista Platform which is discontinue now. the New Corolla platform will be on the new Toyota Chassis
  12. Offline

ToyRolla New Member

Message Count:
    There you go.

The cars use the same 10,12,14,17mm bolts though, hahaha.
  13. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    so are you saying that the tech manuals that the Lexus techs use to fix the cars is wrong too...
  14. Offline

ToyRolla New Member

Message Count:
    What are the chassis codes specified in the shop manual? Lets bust em' out.

The 9th gen Corolla is a ZZ(E) chassis (models 120-3,130,131). If im not mistaken the Previous Altezza/IS should be a SXE/GXE chassis while the Supra is a JZA chassis. I don't yet know the code for the new GS/IS which are said to share some underpinnings.

Toyota used the 9th gen chassis for the late Celica (ZZT) and a little for the MR-S (ZZW).
  15. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    don't rember off the top of my head.. this was over a year ago... and in saying that.. I could also be wrong.. but as far as I rember they are the same chassis or VERY simaler...
  16. Offline

zze130 New Member

Message Count:

no. toyota modifiy platform to suit each needs. for example the cressida is based off the supra platform along with the 1st gen IS. the Xb and Xa is based off the echo platform. each platform is made to accept certain engine. like the is, gs, cressida, supra, crown can use the 2jzgte motor. the echo platform can use any nz series platform and so on. but as far as manual toyota makes them model specific. even if they ride on the same chassis. the New IS shares many compoenets with the GS/Crown/Mark X.
  17. Offline

zze130 New Member

Message Count:

yes exactly they are modifiy from the Vista Platform. therefore the chassis code is different.
  18. Offline

ToyRolla New Member

Message Count:
    Well, anything is possible, but I think theres too many differences in setup to make them too similar.

Toyota likes to share parts as much as they can without hurting the cars identities. Some chassis are different on powertrain equipment alone. The ZZ chassis uses 1zz and 2zz engines and the Supra uses a 2JZ engine (JZA chassis). Side-note, that doesn't apply to all of the codes
  19. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    I don't think there's a possible way of the new IS riding in the new chassis seems kinda weird to me though but I dk might be true...
  20. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    Ah I see... same ish chassis with mods... made to accept diffrent engines... ok...
  21. Offline

zze130 New Member

Message Count:

the new IS rides on a new chassis. its stated by toyota in japan.
  22. Offline

zze130 New Member

Message Count:

nm, im not going to bother. toyota has about 3 major platform. thats all i'm going to say. the IS is rwd so itll get a rwd platform the corolla is fwd so itll get on of the other two fwd platform. thats all im going to say.
  23. Offline

JCturbo 9THGEN GURU

Message Count:
    well the IS300 chassis code would be JCE10, that mean the chassis is a (CE) not (E) like corollas
  24. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    sooo.. some give me the gist of this thread. have anyone called bs yet?
  25. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    I got called on... my info was in my heasd for a year and I was wrong...
  26. Offline

m120004 VTEC Killer

Message Count:
    SO ITS A GS THEN! and I actually raced one GS when I went to play golf last week its about the same size as the Corolla only wider and has I think a 4-6 inch longer wheelbase and ITS A FAST AS HELL LEXUS! he got me good.

AND IM AM REALLY GOING TO BUY THE NEW IS250 RWD6spdMT even though it sucks gas like the IS350:)
    Because 350 only has a 6spdAT.and the only mod i would do when i buy it next year is the aluminum pedals and change the Exhaust to HKS or maybe it will be too loud.
  27. Offline

asn13oy Stepping Stones

Message Count:
    Someone explain this to me..."chassis" "Unibody"
  28. Offline

zze130 New Member

Message Count:

a chassis is basically the frame. like the AE/ZZE Corolla. it has an E chassis, the JZA/MA Supra has an A chassis, Aristo/GS has a S chassis, Mark II/Cressida has a X chassis. so they're all frame designation.

Unibody is the type of frame. all cars/suv like the highlander, Harrier/RX have a unitized body constuction which means its a one piece design.

Trucks and most heavy SUV like the 4runner, land crusier, tacoma have a nonunitzed body meaning that there are two frames bolted on.
  29. Offline

asn13oy Stepping Stones

Message Count:
    Thank You, I understand what you're saying, but now I'm more confused about this thread as a whole.
  30. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    We're just trying to see if the Corolla and the IS are based on the same basic structure. As far as I know they are not.

All you need to know is:
    1) Cars use a unibody as their basic structure. The body and frame are one piece.

2) Trucks use a frame and then their bodies are put on top of that.

The picture below is of an old corvette, but old cars had a separate body and frame like modern trucks do. Notice how there's a frame that supports the suspension and drivetrain.

[IMG]

When you lower the body on top of that, you have your finished vehicle.