1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

knock sensor

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by m4tt, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Offline

m4tt 2000 celica

Message Count:
    knock sensor

what does the knock sensor really do and how does it affect driving
  2. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    It allows the engine to run with the ignition timing as far advanced as possible. The computer will continue to advance the timing until the knock sensor detects pinging. At that point the computer retards the ignition timing just enough for the pinging to stop.

A knock sensor assures that you're getting as much power and fuel economy as is possible from your engine.

knock sensor

The knock sensor responds to spark knock caused by Pre-detonation of the Air/Fuel mixture. As the flame front moves out from the spark plug ignition point, pressure waves in the chamber crash into the piston or cylinder walls resulting in a sound known as a knock or ping. This is caused by using a fuel with a low octane rating, overheating, or over advanced timing. Sometimes it can be caused by hot carbon deposits on the piston or cylinder head that raise compression. A knock sensor is comprised of Piezoelectric materials; Crystals that when impacted, generate a voltage (same idea as a BBQ ignitor). This voltage is monitored by the computer, and when an irregularity is detected, the computer corrects timing in VVT (variable valve timing) engines, or triggers a DTC Diagnostic Trouble Code) in older vehicles.
  3. Offline

m4tt 2000 celica

Message Count:
    ok so my car is running as retarded timimg then? what happened was i had a 2000 1zzfe and i swapped it with a 2005 1zzfe. the sensors are completley different but i had to use the harness off my old motor
  4. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    it should feel the same as before in power...

worst case scenario your mpg takes a HUGE dive when a knock sensor is bad
  5. Offline

m4tt 2000 celica

Message Count:
    can a tuner fix it through the computer
  6. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    no, he can disable it, but if you use bad gasoline or something happens in fuel delivery or yadda yadda, it will still run like normal but could fuck it up...
  7. Offline

m4tt 2000 celica

Message Count:
    today i dissected the wire harness and now i think i just got to take the time to rewire the sensor
  8. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    much better alternative... your engine will like you