1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Kind of ticking noise

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by sanlen, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Offline

sanlen New Member

Message Count:
    Kind of ticking noise

Hi,

I feel that there are some ticking noices from the engine compartment of my corolla 98 while i acelerate. The sound is a bit louder while i first start the aceleration, and a while later that noice seem to be lower.

I also can hear that ticking noice when the hood of the car is up (but i can hear it very clear only when i first start the engine in the morning).

I as well can hear that kind of sound when i rev the engine and also can hear this kind of noice even the aircon is on or off.

I sent the car to service last month, and they said i need to change something at the engine block. Please refer to the picture in the link as i dont know what it is called http://www.park-flyers.com/tensioner_pulley.jpg

Is the problem with that kind of component could result to the ticking noice??

Thanks you very much for your time.

Best Regards,

sanlen
  2. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    yup thats the problem its the serpentine tensioner its done on my car too. I need to change it, good picture. its like 180 from toyota u can do it urself takes like 30 mins. on mine its gotten worse over time and it sounds like the cams are ready to break. its not a recall i wish it was but its a tsb. but yah thats what it is
  3. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    That's most likely it, but it can also be valve ticking or the timing chain.
  4. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Check your oil level, Toyota motors are well known for lifter ticks as well.