1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Just got JDM 93-97 headlights. Quick ?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by cleanrolla97dx, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Offline

cleanrolla97dx Guest

Message Count:
    you can do that but you run the risk of
    A. melting the wires and not having a high beam
    B. blowing the bulbs constantly
    if i was you i would just call up toysport and get a wiring harness

oh BTW yesterday i went to D&D auto salvage here in clarksville
    theres an 85 mr2 (4AGE w/ tvis) in there w/ full motor and tranny the guys told me 300 bucks for both
    but i have no way of knowing that the engine is good or not
    like if it has a cracked head or did something break internally cuz the body of the car doesnt look like it was in a wreck you should jump on this deal and build a 7age you already have a 5speed

p.s. you still want that grill?
    shyguy still hasn't PMed me back
    $50 bucks and its yours you can come pick it up asap
  2. Offline

dragonitti Guest

Message Count:
    Just got JDM 93-97 headlights. Quick ?

One misconnception is that the corners are clear. My corners did not come clear. They have an amber housing inside the chrome and black. One more misconneption is that they were one-piece. The corners are separate. So, you really wanted to have matching black housing and clear corners, you can purchase some other ones to go with it. On to my question though. If the H4 bulb is 55w, then why not just splice the wiring into the already existing wires, instead of a wiring harness?
  3. Offline

cleanrolla97dx Guest

Message Count:
    cool that works out perfect cuz i work on the weekend
    im off monday -thurs pm me w/ your cell # and ill call w/ directions

i smell a 3sgte :)
  4. Offline

dragonitti Guest

Message Count:
    sweet, will do. Indeed my friend, indeed.
  5. Offline

dragonitti Guest

Message Count:
    <br />
    Are you kidding, of course. I can handle $50. Big problem though, I won't be able to get to you till Monday night. I have some things I have to do over this week, like install a new starter and my JDM's. But I will take it off your hands if you can hold onto it till Monday. You have my WORD that I will come scoop it up Monday, that is if your willing to wait. And, I have bigger plans for an engine than a 7age. I am leaving the engine untouch until next year. I don't want to waste my money on small engine mods, instead I have opt to lose a couple of races and let them get their laughs in now. Then later bust on that ass because I'm breaking the 200hp barrier with something more potent than a 7age next year. Small asthetic changes for right now.
  6. Offline

KonigRolla New Member

Message Count:
    where did you get your Jdm's ??? im lookin for a new set for my friend and he doesnt have internet access .. i know they have em on ebay but i dont know if i trust the dude ..i bought mine awhile ago from zaibutski racing on corolla-forums ..
  7. Offline

jayjay_rolla95 Guest

Message Count:
    mine which i bought from the phils is all clear, no amber housing... all clear... if only i have time to put them on my car....
  8. Offline

jayjay_rolla95 Guest

Message Count:
    do you mean zaibatsu racing? coz i saw JDMs from him first, then again you maybe referring to another person...
  9. Offline

KonigRolla New Member

Message Count:
  10. Offline

dragonitti Guest

Message Count:
    I got my JDM's from hk-plus. He is in Hong Kong. The Paypal payment cleared on Nov. 3, and I got them at the post office on Nov. 9. So shippment was pretty fast coming from HK to TN. These are the Amber housing corners. Not a reflection from the bulb. I wouldn't mind finding who has just the JDM &quot;clear&quot; corners for sale.
  11. Offline

dragonitti Guest

Message Count:
    Funny thing, I like the lights so much, I have to wait to get the H4 bulbs and convert the wires till Monday, but I went ahead and installed the lights cause I like them so much. I just Ghetto rig'd the stock headlights for now...lol. Of course the beams are all over the place, but I don't care. I wanted them on.
  12. Offline

jayjay_rolla95 Guest

Message Count:
    hey, maybe you could post a pic just to show us how your car looks like now....
  13. Offline

dragonitti Guest

Message Count:

Sure, no prob. I will take some today, and post them later on this eveing. I'm going to go pick up the JDM grill Monday from cleanrolla97dx
  14. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    nice lights...
    do u hav the pics of the gauge at nite??
  15. Offline

dragonitti Guest

Message Count:
    Yo, finally able to take a few shots. It was about to start raining, so they are not of the best quality. But anyways here they are.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

My new AC AutoTechnic S7 Version 2 gauges...

[IMG]

In case you didn't notice, the Temperature gauge is upside down. They were manufactured like that. I have recently called AC Autotechnic and let them know. The guy was real nice about it all, and said that he will let the owner know. Of course it takes a minute to do a line change. He took down my info. So, in the event they correct it, he can contact me and send me just that one piece. If not, oh well...They still look bad ass at night.
  16. Offline

alby13 New Member

Message Count:
  17. Offline

fastrolla96 speedbumps..yum

Message Count:
    Clean ride man. That white with white rims looks hot. Always liked seeing white cars with white or dark rims. I've always wanted the same gauges you have. Finally I've seen the S7 guage on the the cluster. I want those so bad cause they match my 2 s7 gauge meters.
  18. Offline

97ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    ditto that i'd like to see pics of the gauges at night.
  19. Offline

dragonitti Guest

Message Count:

I'm working on that shot for you... Problem is the digi-cam dosen't have a way to turn off the flash, at least I haven't found a way yet. Here is a couple of other shots for you...

[IMG]

[IMG]
  20. Offline

dragonitti Guest

Message Count:
    <br />
    Yeah, I'm getting rid of my rims. I have a new set in mind. I'm going to re-coat the ones I have, and sell them.
  21. Offline

cleanrolla97dx Guest

Message Count:
    hey turn your phone on
  22. Offline

dragonitti Guest

Message Count:

I'm trying....
  23. Offline

jayjay_rolla95 Guest

Message Count:
    nice car dragonitti....
  24. Offline

94rolladx Guest

Message Count:
    your going to to a 3gste, its obviously going to be custom because it wont fit right in our engine bay, i am going to do the hybrid 7agte (7afe block,4agze pistons,4agze head, minus the supercharger and substituted for a garrett t3) my car will hopfully push the 250-275 hp marker when tuned...
  25. Offline

dragonitti Guest

Message Count:

True, but keep in mind....the 3S in the MR2 is backwards, but the 3S in the All-trac is positioned correctly for us. So, the cat is out of the bag, my plans are for a 3S from the All-trac.
  26. Offline

jayjay_rolla95 Guest

Message Count:
    dragonitti,

did you replace the headlight assembly yourself? if so, how? im trying to put the JDM headlights i have but im having huge problem removing the stock headlights.... dang, its been an hour and still cant find a way how to do it..... please....
  27. Offline

dragonitti Guest

Message Count:

The JDM headlights are a direct fit. No modification needs to be made in the form of installing the unit. However, modification needs to be made when it comes to getting the H4 bulbs to work. I spent countless hours on trying to convert the 9005/9006 to H4. I created my own harness following TRDL93LE's example...http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/269600/2 However, you have to get the power wire just write, or you will go through a couple of fuses, or have the H4 running on bright when you turn on the regular headlight.

1) Remove the corner light. Only one screw holds it in place. That screw is located at top outside corner of the headlight when you open the hood. After removing the screw, you will have to use the palm of you had for grip, and place it on the corner light and try to slide if forward to remove it. Then twist the bulb socket out of it.

2) The grill will need to be removed. It is held in with 3 screws on top and some clips at the bottom. Unscrew the the 3 screws and pull forward to remove the grill. It also snaps into the headlights at the bottom inside corner of the headlight unit.

3) The headlights themselves are held in by 1 bolt, 2 washers, and a clip. The 1 bolt is easily found. It is at the top left corner, and it screws the headlight into the frame. Remove the bolt. Now over to the side where the corner light goes, if you look on the inside on the side of the headlight, you will see to washers that are securing the headlight to the frame of the car. You will need a socket wrench to remove them.

4) Once you get those off, there is a clip on the inside(where the grill was secured) that the headlights are secured to the frame with. Grab hold of the inside of the headlight, and pull forward. Might take a little tug to pull out, but you are not breaking anything. Once you get it lose, it's just a matter of pulling the headlight out, and then removing the bulb sockets from it.

The JDM's are constructed the same as the USDM's. It's converting it to H4 is what you have to worry about. Even with the TRD93LE's example, it took me a good 5 or 6 hours to convert the bulbs. What the example doesn't show you, is what he used to cut the hard ass plastic casing of the 9005/9006 bulbs. Lucky for me, my g/f dad had a table clamp, and a jigsaw. On top of that, you have to cut at an angle, so you don't cut through the metal connectors on the inside of the bulb. If you don't have a table clamp or some way of securing the bulb while you saw around the plastic, I would recommend calling up www.suvlights.com and ordering a wire harness. $65 dollars is what he quoted me. As much as I spent on the bulbs(because I didn't have any old blown bulbs floating around), the wires, the solder and soldering iron, the H4 bulbs, and time it took to do it all. It doesn't save you any money by doing it yourself. So, just get the harness.
  28. Offline

jayjay_rolla95 Guest

Message Count:
    nice info... and yeah thanks for that step by step instruction..... installed my new headlights and made some tricks putting just the 9006 bulbs and unlucky me, the black rubber thing is now burned (supposed to be the seal from behind)... just a little, and can still be used... hahaha, i think i really need something that will use H4, will check out the link you said... again, thanks.....
  29. Offline

dragonitti Guest

Message Count:

Hey, no problem man. Enjoy your new headlights. However, before it starts to rain, or you go through an Automatic car wash, I would recommend taking some sealant and going over the fine lines to prevent water and condensation from getting in there. My left corner light has this problem, so I have to dry it out, and then reseal.
  30. Offline

dragonitti Guest

Message Count:
    Yo' I was finally able to take some night shots of the gauges. However the quality of the pic does not do them justice. They are a lot brighter than what it shows in the pic. MiniDV camcorders do not take the best quality pictures, but I couldn't use the regular Digi Cam, because there is no way to turn off the flash. At least I haven't found a way yet. Anyhow, here are the pics.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Even the contol button is indiglow
    [IMG]

My new StreetGlow headlight LED's. Can't wait to get the matching undgerglow to go with them.
    [IMG]